Hammer goes to the Dark Side...

First full day I've been able to work in a month. 3 loads today. I'm back to maybe 80% energy level and 30 lbs lighter.

Here's the PSA for any of you born between 1945 & 1965. Get screened for HepC per the CDC. You can carry it for years with no symptoms. And any of you guys who've had wild girlfriends ought to get checked, too!

I wouldn't wish a turn on this ride on anyone!

First full day I've been able to work in a month. 3 loads today. I'm back to maybe 80% energy level and 30 lbs lighter.

Here's the PSA for any of you born between 1945 & 1965. Get screened for HepC per the CDC. You can carry it for years with no symptoms. And any of you guys who've had wild girlfriends ought to get checked, too!

I wouldn't wish a turn on this ride on anyone!
That shit sucks. My late wife had it... got it from a blood transfusion when she was in her 20s. Laid low for another 15 years before it caught up with her. She lucked out... the genome type HepC she was afflicted with responded well to Interferon treatment.

Fought with BlueCross BlueShield for a year over getting her treated. Finally called the drug manufacturer, and that was to see if they could help us pay for it out of pocket. Their answer to me was, "Thats very interesting! We'll get back to you."

Huh???

3 days later, I get a call from BCBS, all but begging to get her enrolled into treatment. Turns out, their contract with the manufacturer required them to cover Interferon treatments... they just didn't want to shell out $25k (1992 dollars) to do it. They really didn't want to face breach of contract with a big pharmaceutical company even more.

Cured her of HepC.

Last edited:
That shit sucks. My late wife had it... got it from a blood transfusion when she was in her 20s. Laid low for another 15 years before it caught up with her. She lucked out... the genome type HepC she was afflicted with responded well to Interferon treatment.

Fought with BlueCross BlueShield for a year over getting her treated. Finally called the drug manufacturer, and that was to see if they could help us pay for it out of pocket. Their answer to me was, "Thats very interesting! We'll get back to you."

Huh???

3 days later, I get a call from BCBS, all but begging to get her enrolled into treatment. Turns out, their contract with the manufacturer required them to cover Interferon treatments... they just didn't want to shell out $25k (1992 dollars) to do it. They really didn't want to face breach of contract with a big pharmaceutical company even more.

Cured her of HepC.
I got lucky, body kicked it out on its own.

I can't verify with the most likely person I got it from, as she's no longer with us. But I've eliminated pretty much every other possible source. Should have done the "trust, but verify." 🤬

For years, doctors thought HepC was caused by drinking... called it "alcoholic hepatitis." Among other means, it was transmitted through blood, and they didn't screen blood donors for it until the 80s. Sharing needles while doing drugs passed it along too.

Back in 02 or 03 I was helping an older skinny guy replace the canvas top on his airplane hangar.

We went to Menards for some reason and on the way back he insisted we stop at some sit down restaurant.

He ordered a burger, a huge mom and pop sit down restaurant burger, and he ate it like a starving dog that found a raw steak.

After he inhaled his burger, he explained that it was the first hamburger he'd eaten in decades. He couldn't eat red meat because of hepatitis that he got from a hooker in Vietnam. But his doctor had just pronounced him cured the day before.

I don't remember if it was hep A or B or C or whatever though.

So... I get to spend 2 months running out of Hellwood (Logistics Park Chicago) up into Wisconsin. Spot buys rates, so worth it, but dealing with the traffic is already a pain.

We all know how bad Chicagoland drivers are, but I swear the trucks are worse than the cars. 3rd day here, and I've already lost count of the jackasses that speed up when you pull out to pass. You know the ones, motor right up behind them on the cruise, but once you're in the left lane you have to add throttle to get by. And of course, 2 minutes after you've passed them they're a half mile behind you. Annoying jackasses!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread