Detroit Got the Detroit tuned today by Diesel Dr. in Effingham, IL

Mike

Fueled up at Speedway in Effingham today, and like each other time I have went down that road, I glanced at the Diesel Dr. building and thought about it, only to fuel up and just leave.

Today, I gave them a quick call, and then pulled in.

A few weeks ago, after some Facebook debates about using a Fuel Borne Catalyst in my fuel, followed up with calls to some companies, I ended up getting a call from Bruce at Pittsburgh Power. We discussed the catalyst, then a bunch of other stuff for about an hour, and he decided to send me a gallon of the product. A few fuel ups, and I am witnessing a quieter engine, both the Detroit and the APU. Truck is idling smoother, and though I haven’t entered in recent fillups. I am showing better fuel mileage and seem to be filling a bit more power.

So, now the fuel economy and horsepower thoughts are back on my mind. This time, enough to finally get the ECM tuned. I don’t know what will happen with fuel economy yet, but it took me all of 3 seconds to realize the power as I pulled out of their lot.

I didn’t go crazy, went with the fuel economy setup, which is basically a bump from 500/1650 to 600/1850. With the engine upgrades I already have, those numbers are even higher. I was already putting almost 500 to the wheels with the stock 500hp tune.

Didn’t drive too far after the work was done, but per the computer readout, fuel economy seemed noticeably up. I’ll have actual numbers soon enough.

Last edited:
used this post to bring up an old thread, but decided to move it to it's own thread.

Can't wait to get this truck back on the road in the morning to see how it performs. Really sucks that I got this tune done at the end of my driving day today.

You still got the fitz12.7 or you end up getting that cascadia
Still got the Glider. I would have sold it, but the guy who wanted it wanted a truck immediately, so I couldn't make the deal. Suck, because he had $95K in hand ready to buy it from me. I don't expect the used truck market to be that good again for a while.

Bend over and kiss your lucky white ass they didn’t tune it

I've got no problem with them, there are detractors when it comes to anybody out here with a business in this industry. Most of that comes from 3rd hand, or more distant, information.

That said, I chose this place, partly due to the price. I am skeptical of engine tunes, not sure what to expect, and didn't want to throw down $1250 for something I didn't feel confident in.

This place is located where I travel through regularly, and I have the option of adjusting this tune or simply putting my stock tune back if I am not happy. I think I will be happy though.

Gonna be tough to really work on maximizing fuel economy. I was gonna run this morning for a short time at 68 (13th gear), then slow down.

Ended up just running at 68, cruise set, not worrying even about using my foot and working the hills. Did this from around Effingham on I57, down to Marston, MO on I-55. If the dash readout is still close to accurate after the tune, I averaged 8.3. Heavy load of brick.

Gonna try to slow down from here to my drop in Jonesboro Arkansas.

9.0 into Jonesboro. 70 of the 90 miles was through towns, so pretty happy with that. Did drop below the 9.0 as I was working my way through town and construction that wouldn’t allow me into the road I needed to be on.

100 empty to Byhalia, MS next to pick up a light 46.5k load of water. Yay!

9.0 into Jonesboro. 70 of the 90 miles was through towns, so pretty happy with that. Did drop below the 9.0 as I was working my way through town and construction that wouldn’t allow me into the road I needed to be on.

100 empty to Byhalia, MS next to pick up a light 46.5k load of water. Yay!
How much can you have on your BOL and still be at 80 with that setup?

How much can you have on your BOL and still be at 80 with that setup?
On my BOL? no limit. They can put whatever they want on their. :)

Actual weight? Really low on fuel, I might be able to squeeze on 48k with my APU exemption in play. I’ve never weighed below 1/4 tank, so not positive.

I think the lightest I have scaled empty was 32,700. That was a little below 1/2 tank.

On my BOL? no limit. They can put whatever they want on their. :)

Actual weight? Really low on fuel, I might be able to squeeze on 48k with my APU exemption in play. I’ve never weighed below 1/4 tank, so not positive.

I think the lightest I have scaled empty was 32,700. That was a little below 1/2 tank.
Damn your truck is heavy, I can put 49k on mine full of fuel and a headache rack with 1200# of securement.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread