GPS Garmin Dezl 780 first looks

quillcom

f.jpg

Nice Little GPS. (I will update as I increase)

This unit constantly received one of the best reviews of all gps's (4 out of 5 stars)

7 inch touch screen easy on the eyes very responsive.

Very sturdy rugged build, solid nice rubber jacket
to give it grip.

The 1st thing that jumped out at me are all the POI's

From restaurants to fuel stations, from truck services,
lodging. And then you have the sub categories for these
searches.

Love that you can power it with a standard micro usb or
of course the standard usb mini b to cig lighter.

Can't really use it out of the box unless you want to get lost
so update the map and software first thing.

Use it responsibly, like all gpses yes some trip will take you
out of the way, but used along side of G-maps and with a little
common sense you should be just fine.

dezl 780 LMT-S Features:
7"with Magnetic Mount
Free Lifetime Map Traffic Updates
Custom Truck Routing
Easy Break Planning
Built-in Wi-Fi
Displays Street Junction Signs
Voice-Activated Navigation
Bluetooth- Hands-Free Calling
Speed Limit Indicator
Access to Foursquare Content
Wireless Backup Camera Compatible
Coverage Area:North America
MicroSD Card Slot
Active Lane Guidance
Works With Garmin Elog
Works With BC 35 Backup Camera
Smartphone Link Compatible
TripAdvisor Ratings

Update:

Scared me a bit when on a trip the unit just shut itself off.

1st time no biggy, thought it may just be one of those fluky things.

Return trip same thing happened so I supposed it was the way I was charging it.

Remember there are two ways to charge it 1 with the standard cig cord the other with usb micro.

And so you know how in your phone you can use a 1amp or 2. And it will tell you that it's not getting enough power sometimes.

Well this GPS will power up without the "not enough power" warning with the 2 amp usb.

But this is apparently meant for only a temp power supply or for docking to your comp for updates.

Cause sure enough when I switched it back to cig charge no shut+offs and when I plugged it into a 1 amp usb it gave me the not enough power warning.

Just so u know

And someone on utube confirmed he same

I sure like mine. I've had it now for over two years. Been a good unit. I, however, don't really use all the truck stuff it has since I'm just a dirty ole rock hauler but its been a great unit. no complaints.

Any new updates? I'm curious as I'm waiting on a Dezl 580 to be delivered any moment.
Sure

I spec'd the truck for a recent randevu deep in chi-town where the L-train and other low overpasses live and It routed me through it like a charm.

Only complaint, no live traffic updates except with a special app installed which I do not even bother doing when I can easily peek at google maps.

gl

What is the benefit of the Dezl OTR 700 over the 580?

I've had the Dezl 770 for a few years. I only use it as a GPS for humor, but use it for tracking IFTA miles religiously...
From my understanding it has upgraded hardware and the maps are different. The few reviews I have found all said the same thing. It's faster to route than the 580 series and the maps are better. Plus it's the replacement for the old Dezl 500-700 series. Smallest screen is a 7" which means more real time data can be displayed. And for me, easier to read.

Most importantly is bridge weights with what we haul. And with the weight we haul we stay off of Interstates. If it successfully routes me around bridge weights and Interstates I'll be one happy camper. I'm going to review it in a separate thread once I receive it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread