Owner Operator Fuel as a percentage of gross income

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Like the title says, what is a rough estimate of what percentage fuel should be, out of gross income?

Or, what historically in the past, has your fuel percentage been from gross revenue?

I figure between 20% and 30% so far this year
depends on where I run,like up into those Virginia hills
sucks fuel
half of my nightly runs are deadhead,that helps
my fuel is 22,158.32 so far

this year is misleading for me because I got some fema money in March for work I did last year
so my auctual gross may be around 70,000
I didn`t work much the first 4 months of 2018
I also run some gas in on my fuel cards
so maybe 20,000 in fuel

I’m at 32% for 2017, looks like. That’s actually not horrible, I figured it’d be worse

That’s straight income from the truck versus fuel burned through the truck

Don’t have an exact number right now, but definitely under 20%.

Without my fuel discounts factored in, fuel is currently at $0.43/mile.

Lowest ever was around 8% on short runs.
Not an accurate reflection of net revenue but its one that I also like to muck around with.

Current avg is mid-twenties which I consider very respectable considering that my mpg sucks.

Highest ever was mid-30's...
About 10 years ago when fuel was $4 & up and folks were going tits up at an unprecedented level.
It wad also one of the most profitable periods of my career.
FWIW...

Don’t have an exact number right now, but definitely under 20%.

Without my fuel discounts factored in, fuel is currently at $0.43/mile.
So, we’ve discussed MPG before. You’re more fuel efficient than I am, by a long shot.

Which do you feel is more important, worrying about decreasing fuel costs or increasing gross revenue? If you had to pick one.

I can see @Blood s point, if your operation is the most cost effective you can survive/profit in lean times.

Labor and fuel account for 55-60% of your expenses. While you have to ensure you have the gross revenue to cover all your expenses, it's maintenance that will destroy you.

Poor maintenance will result in a position you have no equipment to make the revenue to pay the bills.

Arguably, poor maintenance will cost you more fuel. Poor maintenance leads to road service calls or tow trucks.

It’d be interesting to see the math, on tire choice for example, of fuel savings over 100,000 miles. Say brand A gets you 6.5 mpg, brand B gets you 6 mpg. What that 0.5 mpg means over 100,000 miles

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread