flatbed info

Can anyone tell me the best place to look online for flatbed securing requirements that might have some pictures we can see??We're new and want to do this safely!!Thanks!!!!

Also, flatbed drivers are required to do a load check every 3 hours or 150 miles, and after every break you take during driving.

Can anyone tell me the best place to look online for flatbed securing requirements that might have some pictures we can see??We're new and want to do this safely!!Thanks!!!!

What company did you work for that did not train you in load securement before putting you on the road? I was taught by my uncle to chain the load down till I thought it was secure, then add one more.

Also, flatbed drivers are required to do a load check every 3 hours or 150 miles, and after every break you take during driving.

I think they changed this a bit after 9/11 or something. I'm not sure, but I think it's first 150 miles, then whenever you stop afterward. They did away with the every 3 hours part.

Or something nitpicky like that...

I usually log one load check within 150 miles then check it every time I stop.

If you have any questions on strapping or chaining don't hesitate to ask!!!
there are a lot of knowledgeable folks around here. I could dig up some pics if you need!

My husband pulls a flatbed and I am a dispatcher for a flatbed comapny...message me any question I will try to help.

Not sure where they got it but Ryder Int. Logistics gave us a handy little thingy that has notches to measure the size of your chain, ratings for the different sizes and grades, securement requirements for different loadings (shotgun, eye to side, etc) and weights. I'll dig mine out and see if it has a name on it.

Not sure where they got it but Ryder Int. Logistics gave us a handy little thingy that has notches to measure the size of your chain, ratings for the different sizes and grades, securement requirements for different loadings (shotgun, eye to side, etc) and weights. I'll dig mine out and see if it has a name on it.

Your chains should be clearly marked with size and grade(supposed to be anyway) along with all the other securement equipment otherwise D.O.T. will rate it at it's lowest working weight limit and give you a big ticket if you come up short,,, in Ontario, I guess if your binders are not clearly marked, they do not count them which again means tickets. Most of mine has illegible markings, my straps also have nicks and wear spots but I have not hauled flatbed in a while(going back to it soon) so I don't know how strick they are on enforcement.

Your chains should be clearly marked with size and grade(supposed to be anyway) along with all the other securement equipment otherwise D.O.T. will rate it at it's lowest working weight limit and give you a big ticket if you come up short,,, in Ontario, I guess if your binders are not clearly marked, they do not count them which again means tickets. Most of mine has illegible markings, my straps also have nicks and wear spots but I have not hauled flatbed in a while(going back to it soon) so I don't know how strick they are on enforcement.

You're OK until you are caught, then you are screwed.

not driving anymore

Well...we were doing great with our first flatbedding job (actually hotshotting-we were out there a whole week and 1/2) til we got rear ended by another truck..the other driver fell asleep and slammed into us at 70mph....BUT..we DID keep our load attached to the trailer and my BF DID keep our truck upright..he did a great job!!!!Thanks for all your info and advice...but our OTR career is over...my BF is doing local driving and our DR hasn't released me to go back to work yet...

Be safe out there!!!!

Wow, Sorry to hear that. Hope it all works out. Your really lucky could have been alot worse. Don't even want to know how the other truck made out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread