Flashing your lights to say its okay...

cassiem0221

My husband told me that when a Trucker is trying to pass me (not very often :p) that I should flash my lights twice to let him know when it is okay to get over in front of me... Is that really helpful to you guys or is it just annoying?

my grandfather always said it was a courtesy to the truck driver. I have had truck drivers that I have passed do the same for me.

It is a courtesy, and something virtually all truck drivers used to do for each other. They still do it quite often, but I am seeing more and more drivers out there no longer doing it.

See, now I didn't even know about this. It's makes sense though and would be courteous. But, that's the thing as the years go by, courtesy seems to have waved bye, bye along with a lot of other things. :(

See, now I didn't even know about this. It's makes sense though and would be courteous. But, that's the thing as the years go by, courtesy seems to have waved bye, bye along with a lot of other things. :(

You are right. It is amazing how when you do something courtesy how it is either one extreme or the other as to how people respond too. Some people just expect it and other are very appreciative...

It is sad that so much of the courtesy has left the highway. One of the purposes behind the creation of this forum is to encourage many of the things that truckers used to do in order to help one another. There used to be a sense of "family" out on the road, and it is being replaced by a feeling of "every man/woman for themselves".

I've always done this as my father, the one who taught me to drive a car in the first place, always did it. It just makes sense.

Not all drivers do it now, but I continue to do it, and will continue to do it, as well as encourage new drivers to do it as well now that I am on the world wide web and can talk to more of them :)

This could be a great place to bring things like this back into the industry as we get more drivers finding this site.

if you have a felony can you still find a truck driving job ( felony 15 years old)?

As someone that gets passed all the time, and being a newbie, I make a habi of flashing my lights and will continue to do so. If they don't think me, not big deal. At least I know I did my part.

To those who are not truckers and are not familiar with the culture, here's something to consider. Truckers as a whole are there to serve everyone. Everything you own was hauled by a trucker at one point or another. They work hard and spend a lot of time away from their families to make all of our lives better.

Passenger vehicles (damn 4 wheelers as I call them) can drive anywhere but trucks can't. When you're around them, give them plenty of room to maneuver. Especially on city streets. Many of the streets that trucks have to travel do not provide enough turning room and trees along the side are ofter inadequately pruned so they have to ride the line to keep from damaging their truck. I try to think of the interstate as a truckers domain. Let them do their job and the 4 wheelers need to spend as little time as possible there. On surface streets, let the trucks do their job so they can get you your food, dry goods, etc. then get out of the way.

Now that I drive a truck, I owe a big apology to all the truckers I didn't accomidate when I could have.

The next time you buy something, anything, thank a trucker for bringing it to you.

m_fumich--> Passenger vehicles (damn 4 wheelers as I call them) can drive anywhere but trucks can't. When you're around them, give them plenty of room to maneuver. Especially on city streets. Many of the streets that trucks have to travel do not provide enough turning room and trees along the side are ofter inadequately pruned so they have to ride the line to keep from damaging their truck. I try to think of the interstate as a truckers domain. Let them do their job and the 4 wheelers need to spend as little time as possible there. On surface streets, let the trucks do their job so they can get you your food, dry goods, etc. then get out of the way.

Yup "4wheelers" LOL.. If I could remember the link, I would show you a friend of mine who wanted to play chicken with a big truck.. Needless to say, she no longer has a car. Lucky to have her life! Most people don't understand that big trucks can't do what the normal vehicle can. They need more room and time for everything.

In the case of trucks flashing their lights, low beams only please. Those highbeams especially the new trucks with those projector beams and columbia class f-liners just blind me. And before anyone says anything, I can tell the difference between the daylight driving lights and low beams, so turn 'em off and on. And it's just as illegal to use high-beams and it is to dim 'em. Been doing this a while, and I don't know anyone who was ever written up for signaling a truck to pass with a brief off-on blink. I would rather have nothing, than brights. But I drive a 65mph Crete truck, how often do I pass anyone :D

I Think muck of the problem here was addressed by Big Mack in another post: Trucking schools just get the new drivers in and out asap and don't worry about the little things figuring that someone else will clue them in....eventually.

Maybe we should send flyers to all trucking schools and clue in potential drivers about this forum. It's a wealth of information and it might save a lot of headaches in the future!

Supersnack said it, Just a quick off and on is all that should be done, because as the driver gets past you he is looking in his right side mirror and bright lights will blind you.

Interesting Post. Here is my simple take on it.

If you are going to give a courtesy flash for a driver to move into a lane, then make sure all is clear around you as well. I have seen drivers get flashed back into the right lane by another driver and when he starts to move over, a four wheeler jumps into the right lane and passes the maneuvering truck.

I only courtesy flash when there is no other traffic around but me and the other truck. So be careful not to help a driver get into a sticky situation by flashing when there are aggressive drivers around.

I have even been known to ignore a courtesy flash when I deem the situation to be unsafe for me or others around me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread