ELD 's supporting Canadian and U.S. HOS styles / border crossings ?

Davester

Getting back into the business, and trying to get up to speed, so I don't have surprises when I hit the road.

I've never used ELDs but researched how they work, saw Youtube tutorials, and they don't seem difficult., but all of the videos show U.S. system, 70 hours 8 days.

Question 1 : I take it the Qualcomms etc support U.S. and Canadian Hours of service system (How it displays time remaining, etc.) ?

Question 2: Does it automatically flip at the border? Or do you have to reconfigure it to the other country's HOS ?

Question 3: The U.S. HOS are more stringent, 11 hrs driving vs. 13 etc.., so if, (just for example), I am after driving 12 hours when I get to the U.S. border from Canada, have I instantly broken the law as I pull in? While you are at the Customs office, which country are you technically operating in?

Question 2- it depends on the system you’re using. Some do it automatically, some you can choose what HOS you want to use

Question 3- You have to (well, you “should”) follow the HOS of the country where you’re going to take your 8-10 rest break.

In your example of having acquired 12 hours drive time, you wouldn’t have broken the “law” if you crossed over, it’s just a log violation if you get caught. You’d be better off parking it in Canada, take 10 off and then you start with a fresh 11/14 to run the USA.

Not just that but once you cross that gives you a time stamp that is verifiable. If you’re going to play games in the USA the time stamps are what will catch you up.

In your example, I’d choose to park in Canada overnight. I’d get up, switch from “off duty” to “on duty, I’d fuel and pretrip at the same time, check my customs was in order, and hit the border. Pretrip fuel and border are all done, now I’m good to run for a couple days with no time stamps

We use keep truckin'.

I have US 70/8 format selected as primary and then the equivalent Canadian as secondary.

As they cross the border, it automatically switches for the driver based on location.

Getting back into the business, and trying to get up to speed, so I don't have surprises when I hit the road.

I've never used ELDs but researched how they work, saw Youtube tutorials, and they don't seem difficult., but all of the videos show U.S. system, 70 hours 8 days.

Question 1 : I take it the Qualcomms etc support U.S. and Canadian Hours of service system (How it displays time remaining, etc.) ?

Question 2: Does it automatically flip at the border? Or do you have to reconfigure it to the other country's HOS ?

Question 3: The U.S. HOS are more stringent, 11 hrs driving vs. 13 etc.., so if, (just for example), I am after driving 12 hours when I get to the U.S. border from Canada, have I instantly broken the law as I pull in? While you are at the Customs office, which country are you technically operating in?
  1. yes Qualcomms support both HOS Canadian and American.
  2. Yes, it will automatically flip you at the border and it will show you how many hours you have remaining according to the country you are driving in.

3. Yes you would be in violation in the scenario you have described. The custom offices for each country are well beyond the border line. For example you would cross the border line for the U.S. before you get to the customs booth, so you are operating in the U.S. the second you cross that line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread