Motor Carrier EC's Going For It

That sawzall would be pathetic.
My 120 volt electric one would take forever and probably wear out a blade just to make one cut. But if it's all you've got,..

I figure when it comes to critical tools, it's best to try them out before you absolutely need them.

It looks like it makes usable threads but not particularly pretty ones. Maybe it's my technique but I never really thought there was anything to it other than making sure you start straight.

The bolt on the left started out like the one on the right. The nut runs up and down no problem on both.

20201120_115623.jpg

Damn. Shit just got real.

View attachment 74398
That's the same one I got to replace my old one when I broke it in October. I had no idea they're hollow. A vise should be solid. WTF.

20201014_192133-jpg.72619

That's the same one I got to replace my old one when I broke it in October. I had no idea they're hollow. A vise should be solid. WTF.

20201014_192133-jpg.72619
Maybe the high dollar ones are solid. I dunno. But I wasn't about to spend $120+ and wait for shipping when I could get it for $57 and have it right away.

And I ain't visist but they all look the same to me.

I figure when it comes to critical tools, it's best to try them out before you absolutely need them.

It looks like it makes usable threads but not particularly pretty ones. Maybe it's my technique but I never really thought there was anything to it other than making sure you start straight.

The bolt on the left started out like the one on the right. The nut runs up and down no problem on both.

View attachment 74403
When cutting threads, after every full turn you should back it off and let it clean off the shavings from the cut you just made. Don't just run it down and keep cranking on it.

Also keep it oiled. I assume you have an oil squirt can. They're cheap. I've got two. One for the drill press and one that's designated only for putting gear oil in the shaft drive hub of the motorcycles.

For drilling and tapping, any oil will work. New oil, used oil, hydraulic oil, 10W-30, Rotella, whatever.

If you're drilling or tapping something you're gonna paint later, you can bring it in the house and wash the oil off in the sink or bath tub with dish soap.

When cutting threads, after every full turn you should back it off and let it clean off the shavings from the cut you just made. Don't just run it down and keep cranking on it.

Also keep it oiled. I assume you have an oil squirt can. They're cheap. I've got two. One for the drill press and one that's designated only for putting gear oil in the shaft drive hub of the motorcycles.

For drilling and tapping, any oil will work. New oil, used oil, hydraulic oil, 10W-30, Rotella, whatever.

If you're drilling or tapping something you're gonna paint later, you can bring it in the house and wash the oil off in the sink or bath tub with dish soap.
Ah yeah my technique is non-existent then. I didn't do any of that.

Ah yeah my technique is non-existent then. I didn't do any of that.
With a drill press, you gotta keep stopping and lifting the bit and putting oil in the hole you're making, to keep the bit cool. Otherwise they get hot, lose their hardening and go dull fast. If it's making smoke, it needs more oil.

With taps and dies, you're cranking them slowly by hand. They shouldn't get anywhere near as hot as a drill bit so I don't really know why you need oil. You just do though. :dunno:

With a drill press, you gotta keep stopping and lifting the bit and putting oil in the hole you're making, to keep the bit cool. Otherwise they get hot, lose their hardening and go dull fast. If it's making smoke, it needs more oil.

With taps and dies, you're cranking them slowly by hand. They shouldn't get anywhere near as hot as a drill bit so I don't really know why you need oil. You just do though. :dunno:
This is why I figured I'd practice on cheap bulk hardware first.

This is why I figured I'd practice on cheap bulk hardware first.
Yeppers.

Cheap ungraded bolts. Don't cut threads into grade 5 or grade 8 if you don't have to.

I drilled a 1/4" hole into the side of a 1" nut and tapped it for an Allen set screw a couple years ago. It was a cheap ungraded nut but I imagine if it had been a grade 8 I'd have worn out the drill bit.

Truck doesn't handle any better with the new washer reservoir. 😐😟

I took a bolt out from under the go pedal and it scoots better because I can press it down further. Still guberned to 2100 so top speed is the same.
How she do with the new bushings in the back end?

Any difference?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread