Motor Carrier EC's Going For It

Good news, bad news.

Good news is the health report is actually pretty good for a 32 year old truck. The shake is the front output yoke on the drive shaft. Needs various bushings (some are cracked none are totally shot and I knew that) and a radiator mount, steering u joints and brake chambers (I bought the wrong ones for the front).

Transmission no harm no foul. PTO was leaking but didn't hurt the transmission in any way since it wasn't run under load.

The bad news is some of the parts they're having as much trouble finding as I was. Steering u joints might end up as a retrofit.

So probably a couple grand later I'll be good to roll depending how much that yoke costs.

Well - quite the read. I started at the end, had some pre-conceived ideas, and decided to go back to the start and put the whole thing in context. Glad I did.

I was maybe 25 and working for a general freight provider in NZ driving puddle jumpers, syncromesh transmissions. Dean Jamieson Transport, I think. He told me to go back to the yard and grab the semi and run round the corner to 'wherever' and load something. It was a 9000 like you've bought, and I'd never driven a semi - with air brakes, and a road ranger transmission.

As soon as I saw the picture it reminded me of that day - fumbling my way through figuring out how to get the thing to move, let alone shift gears.

Personally - I 'get' what you're doing and the reasons why, and I couldn't be happier for you.

I remember in the first few pages of my thread 5+ years ago - there were a few nervous 'good luck' s and several that asked good questions leading me to explain whether I had prepared correctly, constructive grilling. But I don't recall having anyone relentlessly shit-talk my efforts, and I don't understand why - or what the purpose is.

Don't be discouraged - and please continue to update.

Well - quite the read. I started at the end, had some pre-conceived ideas, and decided to go back to the start and put the whole thing in context. Glad I did.

I was maybe 25 and working for a general freight provider in NZ driving puddle jumpers, syncromesh transmissions. Dean Jamieson Transport, I think. He told me to go back to the yard and grab the semi and run round the corner to 'wherever' and load something. It was a 9000 like you've bought, and I'd never driven a semi - with air brakes, and a road ranger transmission.

As soon as I saw the picture it reminded me of that day - fumbling my way through figuring out how to get the thing to move, let alone shift gears.

Personally - I 'get' what you're doing and the reasons why, and I couldn't be happier for you.

I remember in the first few pages of my thread 5+ years ago - there were a few nervous 'good luck' s and several that asked good questions leading me to explain whether I had prepared correctly, constructive grilling. But I don't recall having anyone relentlessly shit-talk my efforts, and I don't understand why - or what the purpose is.

Don't be discouraged - and please continue to update.
I appreciate that.

I think they're envious or jealous because I only obtained my CDL 5 years ago and never had to "pay my dues" by living in a truck. It would **** them off if I succeed in a way that's counter to what they did or do.

I appreciate that.

I think they're envious or jealous because I only obtained my CDL 5 years ago and never had to "pay my dues" by living in a truck. It would **** them off if I succeed in a way that's counter to what they did or do.

Personally - I'm tired of the 'can't do it' crowd. I usually keep my mouth shut, it's not worth my time.

They guy that bought my first truck - worked in an office cubicle. He went straight into his own authority, with a van, in the Carolinas. Has spent maybe 5 nights in the truck, home the rest. His revenue is respectable, and his "all miles to the truck" is always outstanding. I paid $12,500 for the ex CFI T2000 with an N14 at 963,000 miles - still serving him at 1.4 million.

When he flew to my house to buy the truck - my wife and I both gave him driving lessons, shifting tips etc, and he had the truck moved by a towaway company. Still in business 3 years now - no prior experience. about 35 years old.

I'm helping a guy in Texas doing the same thing, late 50's. Paid cash for an older Pete, may buy my 53 flat. No prior experience. Passed his CDL in a rented truck, picked up the truck from California and learned to shift on the way home.

James - came over from NZ and started a drayage company with about 5 trucks in Savannah, GA - was going well until family circumstances had him bail out and back to NZ. Early 30's.

There is 3 stories of the 'can do' crowd. I guess you could throw mine in there too. If I'd listened to negativity - I'd still be at a company job I hated, and never would have believed I could turnover $200k a year, and keep more than half - working 6 months out of a year.

Go for it. Whatever it is. Work is rarely about the paycheck for those that understand - and not all those who wander are lost.

Personally - I'm tired of the 'can't do it' crowd. I usually keep my mouth shut, it's not worth my time.

They guy that bought my first truck - worked in an office cubicle. He went straight into his own authority, with a van, in the Carolinas. Has spent maybe 5 nights in the truck, home the rest. His revenue is respectable, and his "all miles to the truck" is always outstanding. I paid $12,500 for the ex CFI T2000 with an N14 at 963,000 miles - still serving him at 1.4 million.

When he flew to my house to buy the truck - my wife and I both gave him driving lessons, shifting tips etc, and he had the truck moved by a towaway company. Still in business 3 years now - no prior experience. about 35 years old.

I'm helping a guy in Texas doing the same thing, late 50's. Paid cash for an older Pete, may buy my 53 flat. No prior experience. Passed his CDL in a rented truck, picked up the truck from California and learned to shift on the way home.

James - came over from NZ and started a drayage company with about 5 trucks in Savannah, GA - was going well until family circumstances had him bail out and back to NZ. Early 30's.

There is 3 stories of the 'can do' crowd. I guess you could throw mine in there too. If I'd listened to negativity - I'd still be at a company job I hated, and never would have believed I could turnover $200k a year, and keep more than half - working 6 months out of a year.

Go for it. Whatever it is. Work is rarely about the paycheck for those that understand - and not all those who wander are lost.
Yeah I mean it's not a complex industry. They like to pretend it is or maybe to them it is but keeping your costs under control is the key. Start out small and grow. Don't buy a Pride & Class when you don't have a handle on things yet and no cash buffer.

Yeah I mean it's not a complex industry. They like to pretend it is or maybe to them it is but keeping your costs under control is the key. Start out small and grow. Don't buy a Pride & Class when you don't have a handle on things yet and no cash buffer.

We recently took a little plunge and ran up a promissory note on an unsecured loan to my (wife's) nephew, for $35k to kick off his own business at 30. He's been working in landscaping and maintenance in S. Louisiana for 8 years in an unsuccessful partnership with another older chap that owns all the equipment. His partner stays at home on the phone - Jeffrey bids/quotes/works/manages the business. His work is outstanding.

We spent several days talking about the whole industry, basically educating me and grinding through the numbers. There are some similarities with the trucking industry - the striking one was the secrecy of information shared - like success is a big secret. Employee retention/responsibility was another.

He has quietly attained all his certifications for the state, the other partner never did - and is ready to go. He sent me a well structured business plan he had written, and I decided he was a good bet. On a prior visit a month or two back, I observed the young man for a while, you can often tell how a man carries himself, his interactions and how behaves - as to what level of success he'll achieve.

I also made big moves early this year to get completely out of debt except for my house. I have no dependents and don't smoke either. It certainly helps.

That's the one I try to push - but it's a bigger hurdle for most to achieve.

A guy asks - "I wanna go trailer trucking on my own numbers - got any advice?"

I say - "Well, being debt free helped me a lot - how much debt you got?"

He - "Ummmmmmm"

Me - "Well"

The bank becomes the boss - whether employed or SE. Employed, you really have 2 bosses. SE debt free (trucking), really it's only the DOT that dictates your movements - and I guess the IRS has a supervisory role too.

I left out some. He did give me the sage wisdom that I should find and old hand to talk about it.

This was all about a truck I ended up not buying though. Similar LTL9000 but with a 3406b and sleeper so not entirely irrelevant.
He is right about it being difficult to find a company to lease a truck that age on with. I’ve never once had a broker ask the age of my truck though. I’m sure some company will take it. It may be pulling a dump wagon or walking floor though.

I left out some. He did give me the sage wisdom that I should find and old hand to talk about it.

This was all about a truck I ended up not buying though. Similar LTL9000 but with a 3406b and sleeper so not entirely irrelevant.

Old hand, young hand - no difference.

Don't matter what age you are, if your head is shoved up your own self important ass so far that you'll never learn anything - then you become irrelevant.

I learn insight from 5 year olds and 80 year olds every day.

He is right about it being difficult to find a company to lease a truck that age on with. I’ve never once had a broker ask the age of my truck though. I’m sure some company will take it. It may be pulling a dump wagon or walking floor though.
I've covered this but since it's a long thread I'll repeat.

I got insurance quotes and found a carrier before I bought the truck. They have a dedicated run that starts 8 miles from my house, drops 49 miles south (I was saying 39 before for some reason), picks up same location, runs back up here and drops. 4-5 a day 5 days a week.

They would give me access to their entire load board if I wanted it.

The carrier is relatively local, based about 35 miles from here in my home state.

They don't care what year your truck is as long as it's safe (their words not mine).

Exactly - many friends with their own authority and pre 1995 trucks have never been asked what year/model truck they have.

Small companies local to EC - many out of the mainstream - may have no problem either.

But you might have to turn up on the doorstep, not fill in an online form.

I've covered this but since it's a long thread I'll repeat.

I got insurance quotes and found a carrier before I bought the truck. They have a dedicated run that starts 8 miles from my house, drops 49 miles south (I was saying 39 before for some reason), picks up same location, runs back up here and drops. 4-5 a day 5 days a week.

They would give me access to their entire load board if I wanted it.

The carrier is relatively local, based about 35 miles from here in my home state.

They don't care what year your truck is as long as it's safe (their words not mine).
Then everything else is a moot point. It is a long thread and I’ve not read every page.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread