Motor Carrier EC's Going For It

Electric Chicken

Premium
Welp. It forced my hand. Either the PTO or the seal finally gave up the ghost and pissed my tranny fluid all over the place. So it's at a diesel shop (not a chain) to get it fixed or removed. Also having them put my front brake chambers on since I chickened out, replace the steering shaft u joints, replace the drag link boot and grease fitting, figure out why it shakes, and give it a fake DOT inspection so I know what else it's going to need.

This is that suck it up and spend real money part I've mentioned before.

20200922_080942.jpg

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Premium
Welp. It forced my hand. Either the PTO or the seal finally gave up the ghost and pissed my tranny fluid all over the place. So it's at a diesel shop (not a chain) to get it fixed or removed. Also having them put my front brake chambers on since I chickened out, replace the steering shaft u joints, replace the drag link boot and grease fitting, figure out why it shakes, and give it a fake DOT inspection so I know what else it's going to need.

View attachment 71506
I was wonderin' when th' $12k truck was goin' ta become a $24k truck...

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter

View attachment 71506
Looks pretty good siting next to the Freightliner

Electric Chicken

Premium
Good news, bad news.

Good news is the health report is actually pretty good for a 32 year old truck. The shake is the front output yoke on the drive shaft. Needs various bushings (some are cracked none are totally shot and I knew that) and a radiator mount, steering u joints and brake chambers (I bought the wrong ones for the front).

Transmission no harm no foul. PTO was leaking but didn't hurt the transmission in any way since it wasn't run under load.

The bad news is some of the parts they're having as much trouble finding as I was. Steering u joints might end up as a retrofit.

So probably a couple grand later I'll be good to roll depending how much that yoke costs.

blairandgretchen

“ Your people, Jake - Once Were Warriors “
Premium
Well - quite the read. I started at the end, had some pre-conceived ideas, and decided to go back to the start and put the whole thing in context. Glad I did.

I was maybe 25 and working for a general freight provider in NZ driving puddle jumpers, syncromesh transmissions. Dean Jamieson Transport, I think. He told me to go back to the yard and grab the semi and run round the corner to 'wherever' and load something. It was a 9000 like you've bought, and I'd never driven a semi - with air brakes, and a road ranger transmission.

As soon as I saw the picture it reminded me of that day - fumbling my way through figuring out how to get the thing to move, let alone shift gears.

Personally - I 'get' what you're doing and the reasons why, and I couldn't be happier for you.

I remember in the first few pages of my thread 5+ years ago - there were a few nervous 'good luck' s and several that asked good questions leading me to explain whether I had prepared correctly, constructive grilling. But I don't recall having anyone relentlessly shit-talk my efforts, and I don't understand why - or what the purpose is.

Don't be discouraged - and please continue to update.

Electric Chicken

Premium
Well - quite the read. I started at the end, had some pre-conceived ideas, and decided to go back to the start and put the whole thing in context. Glad I did.

I was maybe 25 and working for a general freight provider in NZ driving puddle jumpers, syncromesh transmissions. Dean Jamieson Transport, I think. He told me to go back to the yard and grab the semi and run round the corner to 'wherever' and load something. It was a 9000 like you've bought, and I'd never driven a semi - with air brakes, and a road ranger transmission.

As soon as I saw the picture it reminded me of that day - fumbling my way through figuring out how to get the thing to move, let alone shift gears.

Personally - I 'get' what you're doing and the reasons why, and I couldn't be happier for you.

I remember in the first few pages of my thread 5+ years ago - there were a few nervous 'good luck' s and several that asked good questions leading me to explain whether I had prepared correctly, constructive grilling. But I don't recall having anyone relentlessly shit-talk my efforts, and I don't understand why - or what the purpose is.

Don't be discouraged - and please continue to update.
I appreciate that.

I think they're envious or jealous because I only obtained my CDL 5 years ago and never had to "pay my dues" by living in a truck. It would **** them off if I succeed in a way that's counter to what they did or do.

blairandgretchen

“ Your people, Jake - Once Were Warriors “
Premium
I appreciate that.

I think they're envious or jealous because I only obtained my CDL 5 years ago and never had to "pay my dues" by living in a truck. It would **** them off if I succeed in a way that's counter to what they did or do.

Personally - I'm tired of the 'can't do it' crowd. I usually keep my mouth shut, it's not worth my time.

They guy that bought my first truck - worked in an office cubicle. He went straight into his own authority, with a van, in the Carolinas. Has spent maybe 5 nights in the truck, home the rest. His revenue is respectable, and his "all miles to the truck" is always outstanding. I paid $12,500 for the ex CFI T2000 with an N14 at 963,000 miles - still serving him at 1.4 million.

When he flew to my house to buy the truck - my wife and I both gave him driving lessons, shifting tips etc, and he had the truck moved by a towaway company. Still in business 3 years now - no prior experience. about 35 years old.

I'm helping a guy in Texas doing the same thing, late 50's. Paid cash for an older Pete, may buy my 53 flat. No prior experience. Passed his CDL in a rented truck, picked up the truck from California and learned to shift on the way home.

James - came over from NZ and started a drayage company with about 5 trucks in Savannah, GA - was going well until family circumstances had him bail out and back to NZ. Early 30's.

There is 3 stories of the 'can do' crowd. I guess you could throw mine in there too. If I'd listened to negativity - I'd still be at a company job I hated, and never would have believed I could turnover $200k a year, and keep more than half - working 6 months out of a year.

Go for it. Whatever it is. Work is rarely about the paycheck for those that understand - and not all those who wander are lost.