Eagle Scout Lost on Mountain Fined $25,000 for Rescue

Cybergal

Eagle Scout Lost on Mountain Fined $25,000 for Rescue

CONCORD, N.H. — A Massachusetts teenager who spent three nights alone on Mount Washington in April after he sprained an ankle and veered off marked trails has been fined more than $25,000 for the cost of his rescue.
Scott Mason had been praised for utilizing his Eagle Scout skills — sleeping in the crevice of a boulder and jump-starting fires with hand sanitzer gel. But authorities say he wasn't prepared for the conditions he encountered and shouldn't have set out on such an ambitious hike.
"Yes, he'd been out there in July when you could step across the brooks. And people have been out there in winter in hard-packed snow. But with these spring conditions, it was soft snow, it was deep snow," said Fish and Game Maj. Tim Acerno.
Eagle Scout Lost on Mountain Fined $25,000 for Rescue - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

As someone who has Eagle Scout training (but I discovered girls before I finished) I can tell you he screwed up. If you're hurt - stay in one spot. Never leave the trail for a "short cut." And for Pete's sake you don't walk away from where help would be coming from.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread