Driver killed in hit and run

MustangLX

Parolee,financial advisor
LadyTrucker stuck and killed by hit and run trucker

MIFFLINVILLE — A woman who returned to the trucking business after her husband died was killed early Tuesday by a hit-and-run driver at Love's Truck Stop here, State Police report.

Two other truckers found the body of Judith Stanton, 55, of Anderson, Ind., in the parking lot around 6:30 a.m., said Trooper James J. Surmick. She had been walking back to her rig from the Love's store when she died, police said.

Her pet poodle was still waiting for her in the cab of her truck when officers arrived.

Troopers weren't sure if whoever struck her knew she had been hit. Truckers have a lot of blind spots around their vehicles, noted Surmick.

The parking lot was dark, the weather poor and the road slippery when the accident occurred, he said.

Stanton appeared to have died of blunt force trauma, said Ron Taylor, Columbia County deputy coroner.

An autopsy was scheduled for this morning.

A rarity

In Indianapolis, Ind., news of Stanton's death hit hard, said Jamie Steele of Celadon Trucking Inc.

She had worked for the company for 19 years, a rarity in a business where drivers frequently switch employers, Steele said.

As a woman on the road, she was unusual. Only 10 percent of his company's 3,500 employees are female, and Celadon has the second-highest number of female truckers in the industry, he said.

She used to be part of team with her husband, Chuck, taking turns behind the wheel on their journeys. Chuck died about a year ago after leaving the road because of medical issues, according to Steele.

Judith returned to driving, this time with the dog as her only companion. Together, they would go out for three and four weeks at a time, hauling loads through all the lower 48 states and Canada.

Well-known

"Because she had been with us so long, everyone knew her," Steele said. "And she was an excellent, excellent employee."

The company never received a single complaint about her in all her years of work. She was very outgoing, and people loved her, he said.

"She will be sorely missed."

Surmick said troopers cared for the dog until the SPCA took it to its kennel to await Judith's next of kin.

By 11:30 a.m., another Celadon truck had been diverted to Love's to pick up Judith's load and take it back to Indianapolis.

"It sounds cold," Steele said. "But we have to keep the load moving. We have to keep everything transparent for the customer."

The tractor will remain in the area until Judith's relatives decide if they want to collect her belongings themselves, he said. After that, the company will arrange to retrieve the truck.

Information sought

News spread quickly to fellow truckers.

Roger Scollon of Merrillville, Ind., said he got word of the fatal accident on his CB by 7:30 a.m. as he drove up Interstate 81.

Meanwhile, the Love's stop — on Route 339 just off Interstate 80 — remained busy. Truckers and cars pulled in and out past the State Police forensics van parked near the rig.

Troopers ask anyone with information about Judith's death to call them at 387-4261.

http://www.wnep.com/news/countybyco...s-truck-stop-mifflin-township,0,1611014.story

Sad news. All too often dimwit bone heads run through the truck stop parking lots like they are behind schedule or something. It bugs me how they drive so carelessly and I would not doubt if this woman's untimely death was the result of one of them.

When I was dispatching, we lost several drivers, and one was a long time employee who'd been run over by a speeding bobtail tractor at a wal-mart DC. I barely knew the guy, but found it infuriating nonetheless. Stuff like this makes me want to go all Reginald Denny on people. Yank them from their cabs, and beat the pure crap out of them.

It's more senseless than killing someone while driving drunk, because YOU'RE SOBER...and just being stupid!

It makes me feel like this cop does.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread