New To Trucking Does anyone know how accurate this "turnover" stat is?:

I've been reading a LOT at another trucker's forum, not much at this one yet, and I thought this issue would be a good way to test the waters here... I'm on the verge of applying to companies as a new CDL holder; trying to get as "psyched" as possible for the high level of challenge, and I do consider myself a good candidate for success... BUT, like most others I'm sure, if there's a perception that the challenge is unrealistically huge, just TOO much to be able to believe in my success, well it's just totally daunting and discouraging... Especially this allegedly accurate statistic I read there earlier today by a smart and knowledgeable member (but he's a very experienced DRIVER and moderator, hopefully not an industry numbers expert):

95% OF NEW DRIVERS DON'T MAKE IT PAST THEIR FIRST YEAR.

Uh...YIKES!.. I've read of course about 100% turnover rate per year, etc., but the meanings and reasons around such turnover stats aren't clear to me yet and I'm still kinda crazy-confused as to what is actually going on out there. Now I have no doubt at all that the number is well over 50% and that's ok with me, I can feel confident and determined to beat them odds, but 95% just seems too scary-unrealistic... Both as in hard to believe, and as in IF it's true, well, what a total turn-off! Cuz...feels like the only ones who make it in that case must tend to be some combination of:

1) Very lucky (in terms of the amount of overwhelming serious stuff that actually goes wrong for them compared to what usually does for most in their first year)... and/or...

2) Very exceptional in terms of aptitude... and/or...

3) Very desperate due to crushing debt, and/or family needs, whatever... and/or...

4) Very gluttonous for punishment

If this stat is true, well, what a depressing buzzkill...I certainly can't expect to fall into any of those 4 categories, and know definitely that "desperate" would be the wrong motivator for giving it my all.
--T.I.A.!

The turn over rate in the industry is well above 100%, there are so many companies and millions of drivers and 2 million reasons why they quit making the turn over rate so high.
That turn over rate is for the industry.
Individual company turn over rates will vary. That is one of the questions you should ask during the interview process, What is your turn over rate? That is a hard question for HR.

Most new drivers don't make it past the first year because they get home sick and miss mommy or they figured the job was just driving, there is much more to it. Others find the compensation for the time spent on the job just is not worth it.

Last edited:
if yer doin it because you feel like you HAVE to do it, you aint gonna last
Very true. I've watched many sectors of the workforce end up here over the past 3 decades. Far too many of them came here because of the perceived money and the need to maintain what they had at home after losing their career. They rarely last anytime at all.

Well as for me, I really DO want to make it with the "lifestyle". So does anyone here feel expert enough to venture a credible answer as to how high the percentage is of those who in fact survive their first year (I assume the guy who wrote that may have meant without then quitting and not just doing a year to complete their contract)?

I've been doing this for 4 years now. Since I was little, I've always wanted to be a truck driver and was forbidden by my father. He passed away, I gave up a 6 figure job and went to school to get my license. In 4 years, I been through 7 companies, all for various reasons to do with the company I was with at the time.

I went to school with 34 men and none of them are driving now. They all left in the first year. I still have a reunion every year, always a good reason for a party.

@SuperCuriousMan
You might want to look at a smaller company, with a "family" atmosphere and you may make it. If you go with a large company, you're a number they will treat you like a number or worse.

I just started with a smaller company (under 100 trucks) and these people are awesome. I got layover pay, the other day and didn't ask for it. And they sent me a follow up email to make sure I write it on my trip envelope. This is a good company.

They value their people. The turnover is very low and when someone quits, they take it personally, as if they failed somehow.

When they found out I'm moving closer, my drive to work is 2.5 to 3 hours one way, they offered me a truck for the move!!

This is the kind of company you need to look for.

Hope that helps a little. :x3:

It's the psychological aspect of being away from everyone and everything that you have to overcome as an OTR. Driving itself isn't really hard.

If you don't really have anyone or own anything you'll be good and bank a ton of cash.

Turnover numbers also include drivers who simply got bored with one company and went to another or bought their own truck. It's based on drivers leaving companies not drivers moving around or taking a break and coming back to it.

I never had to live in a truck and be out weeks at a time but even still my big gripe is how long the days are or can legally be. 14 hours of hustle wears you out. Even 11-12 is tough after a while when you're in and out of customers 6 times a day. Or spending 10 hours of drive time at night unable to see past your headlights for years on end.

Every aspect of it gets old and tiresome after a while. Sometimes you gotta change it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the psychological aspect of being away from everyone and everything that you have to overcome as an OTR. Driving itself isn't really hard.

If you don't really have anyone or own anything you'll be good and bank a ton of cash.
If you have someone in your life that understands the job and is willing to be apart for how ever long you choose to be away.

Some partners understand and are good with it. Some don't and you will break up. My guy didn't trust me enough, so we broke up. The great side is, you meet a lot of really wonderful people along the way.

If you have someone in your life that understands the job and is willing to be apart for how ever long you choose to be away.

Some partners understand and are good with it. Some don't and you will break up. My guy didn't trust me enough, so we broke up. The great side is, you meet a lot of really wonderful people along the way.
If I had a partner I'd miss the nookie too much.

Ain't no damn way. 😃

95% OF NEW DRIVERS DON'T MAKE IT PAST THEIR FIRST YEAR.
i do not believe that MANY LEAVE in the first year...UNLESS, it is all the younger ones, thinking it's a video game they are in.

when i had attended trucking school back in the early '70's, the going rate was less than 5 years, of a class of 40 of us? only about 10 will still be driving, then in an additional 10 years, only about 3 or us would still be driving.

today's "steering wheel holders", want the money, and no working involved. they want to be home daily, they want carte' blanc in trucking services and the trucks themselves.

frankly, if the 95 % number is true, that would only be for the newbies, that just cannot deal with the lifestyle of the job, and would rather stay home in mommy's basement, playing video games.

but then too, those are the ones that would always say.. when seeking advice on becoming a trucker..

"i always wanted to be a truck driver"

"i like driving my mommies mini van around the block"

"i know i can stay out for weeks and weeks at a time, i have no one at home"

"i wanna live in my truck, so i don't have to pay rent"

and many, many more

so remember too that those student loans are still due, each month.

Those turnover numbers contain a lot of "churn," which is simply people changing jobs while remaining drivers.

Reasons for leaving the industry are as varied as the people who become drivers. Medical, legal, changing family situations, outlandish expectations fueled by recruiter bullcrap, homesick, not being able to cope with the stress, inability to adjust to the life. This isn't a 9 to 5 life; it's a real physical job. You're going to need to work in the rain and snow, heat and cold, deal with long hours, social isolation, etc. If you can't control your driving habits enough to keep from piling up tickets, you won't last long. You also need to be self-motivated, unless you enjoy being micromanaged by a "dispatcher."

If you've been watching trucking TV or movies, that's bullcrap. So forget that crap.

In the US, insurance controls who gets a seat, and insurance rates determine which companies can afford to hire you. Inexperienced CDL holders rarely start at small companies here in the US because of this. Chances are, you'll need to start at a large carrier that self-insures, and the job will probably suck. However, with a couple years experience, a clean MVR can take you wherever you want in this industry.

Last edited:
Those turnover numbers contain a lot of "churn," which is simply people changing jobs while remaining drivers.

Reasons for leaving the industry are as varied as the people who become drivers. Medical, legal, changing family situations, outlandish expectations fueled by recruiter bullcrap, homesick, not being able to cope with the stress, inability to adjust to the life. This isn't a 9 to 5 life; it's a real physical job. You're going to need to work in the rain and snow, heat and cold, deal with long hours, social isolation, etc. If you can't control your driving habits enough to keep from piling up tickets, you won't last long. You also need to be self-motivated, unless you enjoy being micromanaged by a "dispatcher."

If you've been watching trucking TV or movies, that's bullcrap. So forget that crap.

In the US, insurance controls who gets a seat, and insurance rates determine which companies can afford to hire you. Inexperienced CDL holders rarely start at small companies here in the US because of this. Chances are, you'll need to start at a large carrier that self-insures, and the job will probably suck. However, with a couple years experience, a clean MVR can take you wherever you want in this industry.
Well said! You have all of my reasons for changing companies listed. :x3:

Your CDL training school has annual reunions? 🤔
I arrange it every year. It's just a good way to keep in touch with a bunch of really great people and they all show up every year.

Each year I ask if they want another one next year and have yet to hear one no. I think they like the gifts that I put a lot of thought into. :nails:

I arrange it every year. It's just a good way to keep in touch with a bunch of really great people and they all show up every year.

Each year I ask if they want another one next year and have yet to hear one no. I think they like the gifts that I put a lot of thought into. :nails:
Just what are you giving these people?

Got into otr in 1990. Family brought me local in 1994. Decided grass wasn’t greener and got my degree in 2000. Army played with me till 2005 after 9/11. Used my degree until 2011 and been back as an O/O since.

This “lifestyle“ will be what you make of it.

just like any other job.

for me, it’s a goal I wanted back in 1992 to have my own authority. It’s a means to an end in 5 years when I can retire before age 60 and go use the other goal of my life.

3936FFAE-8227-4631-B178-EFA03FBBF8C7.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread