Does anyone have any suggestions for e-log solutions?

jasonroy

I got a call today from a company which claimed that with the use of an electronic logging device the CVSA inspection can get a whole lot easier. I ran into some problems this year and I just wanted to put a system in place which makes this process easier. Does anyone have any recommendations?

We're in process of getting Rand McNally units in our trucks. I would have preferred a BYOD solution, but the boss wanted stand alone units to avoid the "my cell phone isn't working!" excuses from drivers.

I had considered the RM. But the software and web access had poor service etc. And reviews.

I went to Verizon and got a dedicated tablet for the eld setup.

I had considered the RM. But the software and web access had poor service etc. And reviews.

I went to Verizon and got a dedicated tablet for the eld setup.
Yeah, I don't know who designed their web interface, but it is a nightmare to find the setting you're hunting! Log access is easy enough, but the rest of it sucks hard.

Just had a demo with the KeepTruckin guys and I must say that it seems very straight forward compared to others. Verizon and Rand have hardware charges which I cannot afford at the moment. BigRoad on the other hand charges for every user you add to your account. Any other options which I should check out?

Make sure you get a demo before you buy a solution. The settings and web interface to the managerial functions isn't something you'll deal with that often.

What you really want to checkout is how the interface to the logs themselves work. You'll be dealing with that multiple times a day. Some of my trucking friends tell absolute horror stories about the simplest of things like trying to switch from on-duty to sleeper berth, and editing the on-duty hours. Or what the stupid thing does with your duty status at midnight - that's a real tough one for software to handle, starting a new day, and resetting the daily clock to zero.

You want to make sure that interface works well.

Make sure you get a demo before you buy a solution. The settings and web interface to the managerial functions isn't something you'll deal with that often.

What you really want to checkout is how the interface to the logs themselves work. You'll be dealing with that multiple times a day. Some of my trucking friends tell absolute horror stories about the simplest of things like trying to switch from on-duty to sleeper berth, and editing the on-duty hours. Or what the stupid thing does with your duty status at midnight - that's a real tough one for software to handle, starting a new day, and resetting the daily clock to zero.

You want to make sure that interface works well.

That's what I liked about the KeepTruckin guys. Their support panel is really good, videos and short articles on every possible problem. With the other companies it seemed like you're reliant on a customer service rep when you have a problem. I mean that's important too and one also surprising fact was that KeepTruckin is the only company with 24/7 support, so I think I'd be going with them.

That's what I liked about the KeepTruckin guys. Their support panel is really good, videos and short articles on every possible problem. With the other companies it seemed like you're reliant on a customer service rep when you have a problem. I mean that's important too and one also surprising fact was that KeepTruckin is the only company with 24/7 support, so I think I'd be going with them.
Get them to commit to a demo period.

Anybody looked into the Transflo option? I know nothing about it, but see it looks to be a simple plug into diagnostic port option, then run of the transflo app.

with less than 5 trucks, you are required to pay for the entire year for ELD activation up front.

They've been calling me since April when I started to use the Elog portion of this software to learn how it operates. From both the driver side and the carrier points of view.

I can't say I echo your joy with customer service. Every time I have talked with them, they are non-English speaking people who can't get past an accent. It makes it hard to understand them completely.

Anybody looked into the Transflo option? I know nothing about it, but see it looks to be a simple plug into diagnostic port option, then run of the transflo app.

I tried it but the app for some reason kept crashing and I couldn't troubleshoot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread