did you know auto parts stores have your VIN

gearjammer

jammer
just found this out autozone and advanced auto no longer need your vehicles VIN number to look up parts
all they need is your license plate number they are now linked to the DMV, talk about big brother watching now joe schmo can look at the history of your cars and trucks and probably any other information the DMV has on file

Last edited:
Who TF gives autozone their VIN?
:dunno:

If the dumfux can't look something up by year/make/model, I look it up myself and give them the part number.

Then when they say "duhhh,.. we can get it here by Tuesday" I leave and go somewhere else.

:dunno:

If the dumfux can't look something up by year/make/model, I look it up myself and give them the part number.

Then when they say "duhhh,.. we can get it here by Tuesday" I leave and go somewhere else.
I almost never even go to AutoZone or Advance. We don't have O'reilly's here or I'd almost never go there too.

Friggin STTC told me they get their Budd hardware from AutoZone instead of stocking it. So I called AutoZone. Some slag said yeah we definitely have those. So I'm like great and show up 10 minutes letter. "Oh we don't have anything THAT big. Who told you to come here?" I says out loud "I don't know but it was a chick." There was only one female in the joint so we all know who it was.

Anyway, long story longer I've been getting cap nuts and lug nuts from the Western Star dealer because they sell them for damn near bulk pricing. Like $1-2 per fastener. And they're right down the road.

I already tried and all I found was autozone's VIN lookup.

I didn't dig around much though. Slow satellite internet here due to crap weather.
neighbor went to auto zone looking for a TPS they ask for his license plate # and they were the one that said that this now could be done

• Wow
Reactions: AK7
I almost never go to advance or auto zone

my truck is so old it has a 2 digit vin
Manteno, IL had a "Bumper to Bumper Auto" and across the street (still) is a NAPA.

I think the virus tyranny killed Bumper to Bumper but I'm glad they're gone. I wish that NAPA would go out of business too.

Why?

Well neither one of them ever has what I need. It's ALWAYS been "we can have it here on Wednesday", every single time. Except for ONE time, Napa had an oil drain plug for the trencher I was working on. Old Robin/Subaru engine, both drain plugs were rounded off and I had to use a pipe wrench.

Not only are they useless because they have minimal inventories on hand but they keep shitty hours.

They're not open when the average DIY clock puncher gets home from work. If John Q Average Guy in this town wants to do something to his car after work, he either has to go to Kankakee or wait until Saturday.

Auto Parts stores that close at 5pm don't care about YOU. They only want to cater to repair shops.

So fukem.

There's an O'Reilly Auto Parts currently under construction right at the first red light in town. The one in Kankakee is open til 9pm every day of the week. So unless the new one they're building is going to have stupid hours due to being in a smaller town, that's where I'll be going from now on.

Their headquarters is in Springfield, MO and that's a red state, so that's another plus.

Here's an easy solution to this problem

Find a car or truck with the same year and with the same specs as yours, get the VIN off that, and give em that one

Or just give them year/make/model and if that ain't good enough for them, tell them to **** off.
So far the only place thats ever asked me for a VIN was the Ram dealer, but I dont buy fuel filters there no more so no reason to go back

I did that at the O'Reilly in Kankonnadley, IL when the dumb bastard was looking right at the damn tail light socket I was holding in my damn hand and had the exact same thing on the computer screen but was telling me it wasn't the right one, then said they didn't have it even though it said they had 7 in stock. 🙄
That sounds about the same as the parts hangers that work at Penske.
My left signal light is out I need it changed.
Sigh, wehll, I'll have to take a look at it an' see if it is a clear bulb or an amber bulb.
It's an Amber bulb.
Whell, I'll have to take look at it. It's an amber bulb.
Yeah, that is what I said!
Whell, I'll have to go back to the shop and get the bulb.
Really? I said it was an amber bulb and their was only 2 options clear or amber, Ya' couldn't just bring out 1 of each?
Nope!
:foreheadslap:

That sounds about the same as the parts hangers that work at Penske.
My left signal light is out I need it changed.
Sigh, wehll, I'll have to take a look at it an' see if it is a clear bulb or an amber bulb.
It's an Amber bulb.
Whell, I'll have to take look at it. It's an amber bulb.
Yeah, that is what I said!
Whell, I'll have to go back to the shop and get the bulb.
Really? I said it was an amber bulb and their was only 2 options clear or amber, Ya' couldn't just bring out 1 of each?
Nope!
:foreheadslap:
Yeah you go on for a tail light bulb and give the year make & model, and they ask you what engine.... and does it have air conditioning. Because they use different tail light bulbs in the models with air conditioning. 🙄

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread