Detroit DD13 vs. DD15: Which Engine Is The Best Overall for operating at 80K Gross or less, and why?

dd15.png

Buried in another thread on the forum, is the potential for a pretty informative discussion, one that may affect the purchasing decision of many current and future truck owners.

The question? Which is the better Detroit engine today for a typical 80K or less trucking operation? The DD13 or the DD15?

Both engines are more than capable of operating at 80K Gross.

DD15
  • Horsepower: 450-505
  • Torque: 1250-1750
DD13
  • Horsepower: 350-505
  • Torque: 1250-1850
  • 200 pounds less than the DD15
Keep in mind, we are not looking at past year models, but what is currently available now, and expected to be available in the near future.

Given the basic numbers: Horsepower and Torque, the number favor the smaller DD13 due to the increased torque capability. In addition to that, the DD13 weighs less, potentially increasing your payload.

How about some real world numbers from the membership here (if you are a guest, register and post your numbers). What are you seeing in terms of fuel economy? Which engine looks to stand up the best in terms of long term maintenance costs (including potentially costly emissions repairs)?

Large displacement engines seemed to become the normal for a while, as they were needed to compensate for failed emissions technology. Has the time now come that the emissions technology has finally caught up and we are able to once again operate more efficiently with smaller engines? Smaller engines did fine in the pre-emissions days, why not now?

dd13-engine.png

Last edited:
Live is like a box of chocolates....
Life IS like a box of chocolates.
Sooner or Later you are going to run into a NUT! ;):p:thumbsup:

I like the autos on grades and in traffic.

I hate the autos finessing under a trailer and into a dock.
I did drive a loaner 2016 when my truck was having front end work done it was a bitch backing under a low loaded trailer, the 2019 not so much. The new truck acted much smoother backing that slam dance into the pin didn't happen.

I like the autos on grades and in traffic.

I hate the autos finessing under a trailer and into a dock.
Auto is fine getting under a trailer if you have an air dump like all trucks should.

New autos supposedly have some progrmamming to assist with backing as well.

Auto is fine getting under a trailer if you have an air dump like all trucks should.

Not that. The throttle tip in. All or nothing. They aren't smooth to engage, at least on Schneider's super duper fuel economy above all else programming. They go to neutral at every opportunity.

One second you're sitting there in reverse but neutral. A little throttle does nothing then BAM! you're nailing the pin.

Not that. The throttle tip in. All or nothing. They aren't smooth to engage, at least on Schneider's super duper fuel economy above all else programming. They go to neutral at every opportunity.

One second you're sitting there in reverse but neutral. A little throttle does nothing then BAM! you're nailing the pin.
Schneider bought the cheapest version they could get away with.

Programming to assist backing? Nah!! Next thing ya know, they'll want seats that don't give them permanent spinal damage!

:mad-97:

One old School trucker used to come into the plant and he was bitching about the clutch needing to be rebuilt on his automatic. Buddy used to sit there in a pot hole and because the truck was not moving, he figured he could just let off the brake in gear and everything would be just fine. :D

I'm on the fence with the two engines, but even the DD13 is 65K

The only reason they still offer the 15 is because people think they need a 15. That is what the dealer told me. The 15 is only rated for 1750@505. The 13 will go 1850@505.

The only reason they still offer the 15 is because people think they need a 15. That is what the dealer told me. The 15 is only rated for 1750@505. The 13 will go 1850@505.

Opened that can of worms up quite some time back.

Still undecided

Opened that can of worms up quite some time back.

Still undecided
I don’t know why they still carry it. Get a 13 or a 16. No need for the 15.

I don’t know why they still carry it. Get a 13 or a 16. No need for the 15.

They push the DD13 as a regional operation engine. When I was spec'ing a truck, they pushed hard to sell me on shorter gears if I went with the 13 litre engine, even though they were rated the same. Couldn't get a straight answer as to why when both had an 400/1750 at the time.

Those who are operating the DD13 seem to be very pleased with it, though.

They push the DD13 as a regional operation engine. When I was spec'ing a truck, they pushed hard to sell me on shorter gears if I went with the 13 litre engine, even though they were rated the same. Couldn't get a straight answer as to why when both had an 400/1750 at the time.

Those who are operating the DD13 seem to be very pleased with it, though.
It’s was mentioned briefly when I ordered mine. The reason I shut it down was resale value. Who is going to buy a heavy haul unit with a 13L motor? I have no doubt that it would do it, but it’d be hell to try an unload later. I mean you are running a 12.7 liter motor, do you have any complaints? The 12.7 470 horse was a good strong engine.

It’s was mentioned briefly when I ordered mine. The reason I shut it down was resale value. Who is going to buy a heavy haul unit with a 13L motor? I have no doubt that it would do it, but it’d be hell to try an unload later. I mean you are running a 12.7 liter motor, do you have any complaints? The 12.7 470 horse was a good strong engine.
12.7 works great for me. Engines went big to deal with emissions. That’s all been figured out now, so the sizes are coming back down.

12.7 works great for me. Engines went big to deal with emissions. That’s all been figured out now, so the sizes are coming back down.
Had that problem even with little trucks

Fix it again Tony went from the 5.9L cummins to the 6.7 only to make up for the performance losses they knew they get from emisson crap

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread