CVSA Roadcheck 2013 Scheduled for June 4-6

Mike

Attention truckers, the 2013 "CVSA Roadcheck 2013" is scheduled for June 4-6, 2013.

For those that don't know, during this 72 hour CVSA Safety Blitz, there will be about 14 CMV inspections performed per minute, 24 hours/day, in various locations stretching from Canada to Mexico. In addition to this, some states like to start on this a day or so early, or go a day or so later with increased inspections to add to the CVSA timeframe.

• Wear your seat belt
    Dont' give these folks an easy reason to pick you out of a group of trucks entering a scale. Remember, you might be on camera before you get to the window.
  • Check your brakes and tires
    Bald or cut tires are easy to see, and can quickly get you pulled in for further inspection. Brakes are ALWAYS a major "out of service" item during the annual CVSA roadcheck.
  • Air couplings
    Look for chafing, and make sure your air lines ARE NOT crossed. Not much you can do with some of the air line chafing violations because the searching for this has become ridiculous. Crossed air lines, however, are a common violation because air lines get easily crossed if you don't maintain a good system for unhooking and hooking up air lines, especially if you have a habit of just throwing them on the catwalk between trailer hookups.
  • Check all lights
    Should be a common sense thing here, but they can slip up on you, and an inoperative light will likely get you a level 1 inspection. If it's daytime, turn your lights off when entering the scale.
  • Cargo Securement
    This is mainly for you flatbedders. Pay a little more attention to detail and make sure you have the proper chains/straps. Make sure they are in excellent condition. Take some time to neatly tarp your load if it must be tarped. Visual appearance is important.
Obviously, your entire CMV needs to be in proper working order at all times, but these are just a few things to pay a little closer attention to. As of today, you have over a month to get things in working order, or plan a vacation.

Oh, and if you see a crappy looking truck, get behind it before you enter a scale ;)

More information here: http://www.cvsa.org/programs/documents/roadcheck2012/checklist_20120531v2.pdf

I posted this before. Was getting ready to leave truck stop and hear someone ask if the scale was closed and it was. Get on the road and the scale opens up. Same guy says FFFFFF. I'm overweight. Guy in back tells the guy to slow down and get in back of him. He gets on scale and we wait and wait. Officer comes out and waves everyone around. Could see his lights going dim so I'm guessing he had a kill switch and was pretending to try and start his truck.

now wait a second, the truck I bought looks crappy, your not pickin on me are you, right now it gets me from point a to b

Periodic Inspections only cost $45 at TA/Petro. I grab one whenever I go to Cali. They DOT tend to to back down a bit when you show 'em your on top of it. I'll do that before june or just have my yearly done a month early. This DID NOT help me my last trip west though. The Rainbow Coop put me OOS for a "kinked" airline to punish my last co-driver for hitting the scale at 2Omph (posted 3mph). We lost an awesome load to NY because of that. She claimed her GPS said she was only going 10mph. GPS? WTF!!!

Well if I were a bettin' man, which I'm not LOL, I'd say the majority of the DOT Officers are gonna be rookies looking to make a name for themselves, which will make this years CVSA Road Check that much more unbearable. What they really need to do is perform Road Checks on 4-wheelers, who BTW all think their above the law!

Yawn. The "We are finally gonna act like we are doing are job day's":rolleyes:

Hell I never see them doing anything but holding press conferences bragging they found that they found 70% of people were in compliance. That means 30% were not you pukes. Do they think they just come out on those days when they decide to do some work?

Oh it will keep the cb hopping as people forget their depends and start urinating themselves ove what the coop's are doing. I swear if they spent half the time worrying about being squared away they do about fulfilling some insipid ode to Kris Kristofferson they could be miles ahead.

Oh it will keep the cb hopping as people forget their depends and start urinating themselves ove what the coop's are doing. I swear if they spent half the time worrying about being squared away they do about fulfilling some insipid ode to Kris Kristofferson they could be miles ahead.
I had a Missouri DOT bear grab the air hoses near a brake chamber, and twist them until they touched each other, just so he could say "chafing brake hoses" on his report. This was a brand new trailer, on it's way back empty from it's first run, which was just a short hop from Storm Lake, IA to Concordia, MO. I could see the cop's fingerprints in the dust when I got under there to look at it myself.

Therefore I'm completely dismissing your bullshit because it seems as if you think every member of law enforcement & officer of the court is a perfect, incorruptible official who never does anything dishonest & always does everything by the book.

And in regards to your complaining that DOT bears don't ride our asses hard enough already, just what in the hell do you drive, for real? A truck? I'm beginning to doubt it. I suspect the vehicle you drive occupationally might have lights & sirens on it, and only 4 wheels. Do you maintain a log book or a ticket book? How many donuts do you shove in your face this morning?

Anybody who's been in the trucking industry for more than a few months knows that any time a DOT bear decides he's going to find something wrong with the next truck that rolls into the scale house, he WILL "find" something wrong, even if he has to flat-out lie & make something up.

Here's another example of corrupt pigs lying on an inspection report just because they can get away with it.

This year will be my 7th consecutive year of staying off the road during the DOT blitzkrieg.

Nope. Walking through truck stops reinforces my view the DOT are not doing their job. Watching drug addled walking heart attacks fuel up their trucks tells me the DOT is not doing their job. Every time they finally decide to do their job between 20-30% have violations. One of the better aspects of CSA is they are finally actually inspecting vehicles.

I have no idea why you take that time off. It is kinda my point, a whole lot of PR very little results.

When they are in the wrong prove it. Stand up for yourself both at the time, and in follow ups. In case you missed it I do not believe they are doing an adequate job.

In Tennessee all Highway Patrol are required to perform a set number of commercial inspections. There is one that in the mornings will sit on a little knoll just before the intersection of 231 and 25. After the third time of pulling me over while the stick truck(on that morning not all of them) in front of me wobbled his overweight rolling OOS mobile right on by I asked him why me when that truck had visible violations.

"It's to early and I do not want to get dirty"

so I asked it did not bother him on a safety basis?

"Want me to do a full inspection on you?"
Told him sure he could start with the incident recorder that has been running. Forwarded a copy to his troop. No idea if it did any good. I see him from time to time sitting on his little hill. Last time he had a POS dump wagon pulled over. He was at least doing a walk around because he was doing a light check.

Another Trooper does his fair and square. First two he runs into going north on 231 and the last to as he goes off shift. I swear Titan loves having me come in on Saturday mornings right when he is going on shift. Last time I told him he was buying breakfast since he was delaying mine. No offense, just a chuckle and a response" I do not make high dollar trucker money".

Oh that full inspection was clean by the way.Guess he decided not to "find" something. Oh they try and make crud up from time to time because of a technical bulletin or another. As I said now your stuff. If it is a violation fix it. If it is not do not accept it. The rules and regulations governing this industry are in black and white.If it is not written there it does not exist as far as inspections go.

However there in general does not need to be an adversarial aspect in this process. They are doing a job, we are doing a job. Both would like safer roads though some may disagree with the best way to enact that. Or as I said keep your stuff squared away and you have nothing to worry about.

They were rolling everyone through the scales last year. Don't remember where. Lots of DOT. At the scale was one on each side before the actual scale. I got up on the scale and another guy was checking log books. I was the last one. They had plenty of trucks pulled around back and must have closed the scale.

He asked if my log book was up to date. I said, **** no, I haven't filled it out in a month. He laughed and said go ahead. I asked him what the 2 guys were looking for. He said a quick look at the truck in general, the tires and a clean cat walk.

I will probably stay home. Right now, I am going through my tractor and trailer with the regulations in hand trying to find anything and everything. Not for Road Check, but because it should be done anyway.

I have been on the road during Road Checks in many states in many years, I have never been pulled in. It's all a crap shoot, they can check relatively few trucks. Still, why take a chance?

Or as I said keep your stuff squared away and you have nothing to worry about.
Did the part of my post about DOT cops simply making up violations that don't exist, slip your mind before you wrote that last sentence?

You need to quit drinking the "I'm from the government & I'm here to help you" kool-aid.

Attention truckers, the 2013 "CVSA Roadcheck 2013" is scheduled for June 4-6, 2013.

For those that don't know, during this 72 hour CVSA Safety Blitz, there will be about 14 CMV inspections performed per minute, 24 hours/day, in various locations stretching from Canada to Mexico. In addition to this, some states like to start on this a day or so early, or go a day or so later with increased inspections to add to the CVSA timeframe.

• Wear your seat belt
    Dont' give these folks an easy reason to pick you out of a group of trucks entering a scale. Remember, you might be on camera before you get to the window.
  • Check your brakes and tires
    Bald or cut tires are easy to see, and can quickly get you pulled in for further inspection. Brakes are ALWAYS a major "out of service" item during the annual CVSA roadcheck.
  • Air couplings
    Look for chafing, and make sure your air lines ARE NOT crossed. Not much you can do with some of the air line chafing violations because the searching for this has become ridiculous. Crossed air lines, however, are a common violation because air lines get easily crossed if you don't maintain a good system for unhooking and hooking up air lines, especially if you have a habit of just throwing them on the catwalk between trailer hookups.
  • Check all lights
    Should be a common sense thing here, but they can slip up on you, and an inoperative light will likely get you a level 1 inspection. If it's daytime, turn your lights off when entering the scale.
  • Cargo Securement
    This is mainly for you flatbedders. Pay a little more attention to detail and make sure you have the proper chains/straps. Make sure they are in excellent condition. Take some time to neatly tarp your load if it must be tarped. Visual appearance is important.
Obviously, your entire CMV needs to be in proper working order at all times, but these are just a few things to pay a little closer attention to. As of today, you have over a month to get things in working order, or plan a vacation.

Oh, and if you see a crappy looking truck, get behind it before you enter a scale ;)

More information here: http://www.cvsa.org/programs/documents/roadcheck2012/checklist_20120531v2.pdf
I thank ya for the heads up

I had a Missouri DOT bear grab the air hoses near a brake chamber, and twist them until they touched each other, just so he could say "chafing brake hoses" on his report. This was a brand new trailer, on it's way back empty from it's first run, which was just a short hop from Storm Lake, IA to Concordia, MO. I could see the cop's fingerprints in the dust when I got under there to look at it myself.

Therefore I'm completely dismissing your bullshit because it seems as if you think every member of law enforcement & officer of the court is a perfect, incorruptible official who never does anything dishonest & always does everything by the book.

And in regards to your complaining that DOT bears don't ride our asses hard enough already, just what in the hell do you drive, for real? A truck? I'm beginning to doubt it. I suspect the vehicle you drive occupationally might have lights & sirens on it, and only 4 wheels. Do you maintain a log book or a ticket book? How many donuts do you shove in your face this morning?

Anybody who's been in the trucking industry for more than a few months knows that any time a DOT bear decides he's going to find something wrong with the next truck that rolls into the scale house, he WILL "find" something wrong, even if he has to flat-out lie & make something up.

Here's another example of corrupt pigs lying on an inspection report just because they can get away with it.

This year will be my 7th consecutive year of staying the **** off the road during the DOT blitzkrieg.
Asheville,NC sucks

It's all posturing, They nab the same P.O.S. trucks they do on any given day. The usual suspects and then pose for the media for that photo op. Hey look we are doing something to clamp down on these big bad trucks, That bring everything to the people.

The people cheer and wonder why the cost of everything has gone up.

I have a cousin that works the scale house. he hates his job. It`s all Politics. He is just hanging in until he retires.

One spot I avoid is the inspection area west of Little Rock on 30. They will be out cleaning that place up a week before the blitz starts, they will bring out a big bbq grill, motorhome, and a big tent to get some shade. No joke.

That week, I will be cutting down through the woods on 79 to and from the yard.

Did the part of my post about DOT cops simply making up violations that don't exist, slip your mind before you wrote that last sentence?

You need to quit drinking the "I'm from the government & I'm here to help you" kool-aid.

Ya know I keep hearing about all these made up tickets. Funny thing is that the majority of inspections are clean. Oh I hear of the gestapo tactics but numbers simply do not back that up.

I will tell ya the couple times I have "toured" a scale's operations I talked with a couple troopers.and saw things from their side of the glass that illuminate some of the mythos expressed by people.

Yeah you walk in with crumpled up mismatched paperwork, they are gonna look harder.Come in explaining you pay their damn salary and such, your gonna have a very bad day unless you equipment is flawless.

It is my experience that if your professional, have you stuff complete and at your fingertips, maintain your equipment you'll be fine.

Oh I understand you hate all government. But I'll bet you a buffalo nickel you would be one of the first screamers were it to be privatized. The very simple fact is those officers are out there because the majority demand it. It is lethargic, overly expensive, riddled with redundancy, but I have yet to hear of a better plan to fund, build, and regulate use of public roads. Well I still maintain (with the caveat of an elimination of federal fuel taxes) that a private corp would do a better job. However people would howl like banshee's when they turned a profit, actually removed unsafe vehicles and drivers, and generally functioned properly. So we are left with the system we have.

Yeah you walk in with crumpled up mismatched paperwork, they are gonna look harder.Come in explaining you pay their damn salary and such, your gonna have a very bad day unless you equipment is flawless.

It is my experience that if your professional, have you stuff complete and at your fingertips, maintain your equipment you'll be fine..
There you go trying to turn it around on me.

At that Missouri scale, I knew I was 100% on everything. Just had a "B" service on the truck, brand new trailer. E-logs, ... he wasn't going to find jack shit wrong with me or the equipment. And I also wasn't in a rush to get anywhere. I was in a good mood, and was friendly with the cop. The cop was also being friendly & polite, and the mood of the conversation was pleasant & friendly up until the point he tried telling me there was something wrong with the truck when there wasn't. Actually I was even still polite at that point, .. it was a brand new trailer, but I hadn't personally looked at those air hoses, .... so I still gave him the benefit of doubt til I got under there to look at what he was talking about, and found that the hoses were NOT touching each other, and the only way to get them to come in contact with each other was to grab them at the little plastic spacers & twist them. But as soon as you let go, they spring back & are at least 3 inches apart.

The cop lied, plain & simple. It was completely unprovoked & his only possible motivation could have been to make it look like he was doing his job. There wasn't a citation or anything, just a spotless CSA score that was tainted by his lie.

I know that some drivers are ass holes & **** them off, but even in those cases, a cop is still 100% in the wrong if he writes up violations that don't exist.

It is my experience that if your professional, have you stuff complete and at your fingertips, maintain your equipment you'll be fine.

It is my experience that your experience doesn't match my experience :)

As someone who used to haul produce from California back to Texas in a nice shiny Pete, I can guarantee that I was stalked by the DOT. Won't get into all the BS inspections I dealt with, but the one that stands out was in a "new" 379. I had about 25,000 miles on the truck, got pulled in, and was put out of service due to excessive play in the steering shaft. Oddly enough, there were other trucks shut down with the same problem and the mobile repair truck just happened to have plenty of them on the truck (cause we all know those shaft wear out about once a month...). Got mine replaced, and the officer at the scale house on the opposite side of the highway tried to shut me down on the way back (one day later) for the same problem.

Texas Trooper pulled me over and wrote me up for placards not being visible because the clear plastic covers were too scratched up and dirty. They were almost brand new, and not a thing wrong with them. It was just an excuse to get me for a roadside inspection, and he couldn't find anything else to write me up for.

And my most recent is well documented in my 20 thread. Bogus paperwork violations. Somehow, I won that fight, thanks to my company fighting it for me.

Plenty bad officers out there, but there are more good than bad. I just go through my stretches of finding all the bad ones.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread