Fuel Economy Cummins officially recommends.....

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Cummins Powernew release for power service as the recommended cetane improvers for Cummins engines.

ETA....
This came across my news feed today.

Byline date is 2017....

Last edited:
You would be well-served to add a lubricity improver to your fuel in that old truck. ULSD isn't nearly as slippery as fuel was when your engine was designed.
What's different about newer engines that makes them able to tolerate the lack of lubricity?

You would be well-served to add a lubricity improver to your fuel in that old truck. ULSD isn't nearly as slippery as fuel was when your engine was designed.

I used to put it in the old diesel pickup but I haven't in forever.

Supposedly it's mostly to help the pump.

It's stupid expensive I'd rather get a new pump.

They're trying to pitch the exact same stuff as needed in new trucks now.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's different about newer engines that makes them able to tolerate the lack of lubricity

Different alloys in the injectors and pumps. New stuff is tighter tolerances too, due to higher injection pressures.

I've always used some kind of additive in the fuel for my Dodge Cummins engine, usually Power Service. When it came time to clean the EGR valve and cooler I was told to remove them and blow them out first with shop air. The advice was to do it outside because there would be "voluminous clouds of soot."
So I did. There was soot but certainly not "voluminous" clouds.
Got to thinking about that and wondered if it had anything to do with faithfully using a fuel additive.
No idea.

I've always used some kind of additive in the fuel for my Dodge Cummins engine, usually Power Service. When it came time to clean the EGR valve and cooler I was told to remove them and blow them out first with shop air. The advice was to do it outside because there would be "voluminous clouds of soot."
So I did. There was soot but certainly not "voluminous" clouds.
Got to thinking about that and wondered if it had anything to do with faithfully using a fuel additive.
No idea.

Higher cetane levels will result in less soot.

Higher cetane levels will result in less soot.
Had a discussion on this elsewhere... Don't remember with who or where. But they'd gone thru one of the manufacturer's technical schools on the aftertreatment system.

But apparently soot is almost completely eliminated in regens. What builds up in the can is ash from oil combustion, which is why they have worked so hard to reduce oil consumption on these newer motors. The soot all gets caught on the medium within the filter, and then combusts during the higher temps created during regen, with little or no solid byproducts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread