CTA calls for crackdown on ‘non-compliant’ carriers

Mike

TORONTO, Ont. – The Canadian Trucking Alliance (CTA) is calling for a government crackdown on “non-compliant” carriers, following news that those behind a company involved in the crash that killed 16 Humboldt Broncos are again working in the industry.

“Most trucking companies embrace a culture of safety and compliance, evidenced by statistics that show commercial vehicles and drivers are the safest operators on Canadian roadways. But there is a minority of companies who do not embrace this culture of safety,” said CTA president Stephen Laskowski. “To deal with these carriers, we must develop a national plan focusing more enforcement on non-compliant carriers and introduce a system that ensures companies entering the trucking industry are committed to safety and compliance from day one of their operations.”

The alliance is calling for a look at practices used by non-compliance carriers, and the development of “enforceable countermeasures.”

CTA calls for crackdown on 'non-compliant' carriers - Truck News

Good luck. Those guys run a shell game of companies and DOT numbers

Are we allowed to say tribe? If so the whole tribe is in on the fix. Shut the brother down the uncle opens up shop. Shut the uncle down a cousin opens up shop.

I hadn’t heard the driver from Humboldt was back working. Last I heard Ontario “new Canadians” were driving out to Alberta or Saskatchewan, paying $1500 to get a fake CDL then going back to Ontario and switching it for a real Ontario CDL

In other news I was at Jim’s Truck Stop and saw four of them get out of the same truck all with backpacks heading in to shower

Four guys

One truck

Two mattresses. I hope

:stare1:

Good luck. Those guys run a shell game of companies and DOT numbers

Are we allowed to say tribe? If so the whole tribe is in on the fix. Shut the brother down the uncle opens up shop. Shut the uncle down a cousin opens up shop.

I hadn’t heard the driver from Humboldt was back working. Last I heard Ontario “new Canadians” were driving out to Alberta or Saskatchewan, paying $1500 to get a fake CDL then going back to Ontario and switching it for a real Ontario CDL

In other news I was at Jim’s Truck Stop and saw four of them get out of the same truck all with backpacks heading in to shower

Four guys

One truck

Two mattresses. I hope

:stare1:

What we aren't allowed to do is get off topic and focusing on how we think people are living in their trucks. Has nothing to do with the story.

What we aren't allowed to do is get off topic and focusing on how we think people are living in their trucks. Has nothing to do with the story.
My point was they don’t play by the rules. It’s like new gun laws to prevent school shootings.

The problem is these clowns think they’re above the law.

The alliance is calling for a look at practices used by non-compliance carriers, and the development of “enforceable countermeasures.”
Has absolutely nothing to do with the topic.
I would consider running 3-4 guys out of one truck a safety issue “from a non-compliance carrier”, considering they will share the same CDL and similar mischief. These companies will pay these guys slave wages to live like animals just to keep the truck rolling.

It’s a wider scope problem than people realize.

Going from memory the Humboldt driver had around a months experience and yet was latched onto a set of b-trains. I’ve heard of similar incidents where these clowns are forcing new drivers to take b-trains, and they don’t have the balls to say no because they need the job so badly. My buddy said one guy was in tears at a jobsite he was so scared of driving and backing a set of trains.

As well as the number of mechanics that have said there was a hole cut in the floor for a toilet, I’m not sure if urban legend or not. That’s disgusting.

These companies that run guys like this should be shut down but like I said they’re like cockroaches. Too many in the tribe willing to play the game

I would consider running 3-4 guys out of one truck a safety issue “from a non-compliance carrier”, considering they will share the same CDL and similar mischief. These companies will pay these guys slave wages to live like animals just to keep the truck rolling.

To break this down, and get away from cultural bias.

What compliance rules are being broken with having 3-4 people in a truck? If they can legally be in the truck, there is no compliance issue.

Operating without a CDL, that is obviously a compliance issue, but assuming everyone truck that has multiple drivers in it is doing this is an extreme reach. Seems easy enough to enforce on one roadside check.

As for cutting holes in the truck, nothing to do with a compliance issue, and I am willing to bet that less than one tenth of one percent of the members of this forum have ever actually seen a truck like this, and in reality, if it were happening, how much more disgusting is that than doing the business in another manner and then tossing it out on the same ground?

Bottom line, and I have brought this up multiple times, if you are going to engage in a discussion, leave race/gender/ethnicity out of it. If any folks can't handle that, there are plenty other forums available for that discussion as we do not need it here.

I have read the article from another source. The Canadian trucking industry wants to eliminate Chameleon companies. Why has it taken this long to address this problem?
As @Skateboard puller pointed out two companies same address. You can literally go on line and find companies that have had their authority pulled and then find another company that opened up. These are residential addresses that are listed so, it is not like an industrial building that is shared.
I know in the U.S. they seek out and shut down Chameleon companies.
We should be doing the same. The problem is, as Skateboard Puller pointed out, They just play a shell game. Opening up a new company in another relatives name.
The owner of the company responsible for the Humboldt crash was shut down after the accident but, Has since reopened under a new name (company number)

Yes let us not mention race because the media has been very careful of not identifying the name of the driver behind the wheel in the Humboldt crash.

Its possible on the "3 or 4 guys" issue that a team is giving a couple of stranded drivers a lift back to the terminal.

Ever think of that?

The real issue is fly-by-night carriers popping up after a horrendous accident with different numbers... same shady characters. The FMCSA went through this a few years back, trying to put bad guys out of business permanently.

Last edited:
I dunno for some reason I had it in my head that it was.

The only place where an issue would arise is securement. Has to be a net in the sleeper, and no idea if there are any limits in regards to how many can be under that net during movement, or if there is a weight limit of any sort.

Even here in the United States you regularly see a family of 3-4 or more climbing out of a truck at a truck stop.

I have read the article from another source. The Canadian trucking industry wants to eliminate Chameleon companies. Why has it taken this long to address this problem?
As @Skateboard puller pointed out two companies same address. You can literally go on line and find companies that have had their authority pulled and then find another company that opened up. These are residential addresses that are listed so, it is not like an industrial building that is shared.
I know in the U.S. they seek out and shut down Chameleon companies.
We should be doing the same. The problem is, as Skateboard Puller pointed out, They just play a shell game. Opening up a new company in another relatives name.
The owner of the company responsible for the Humboldt crash was shut down after the accident but, Has since reopened under a new name (company number)

Yes let us not mention race because the media has been very careful of not identifying the name of the driver behind the wheel in the Humboldt crash.
Owner of trucking company linked to Humboldt crash recruiting drivers while under investigation | CBC News
The link doesn’t work very well, but it was reported the owner of the company had started a Kijiji ad and was advertising for new drivers soon after the crash.

Also what some of our southern neighbours may not know, is up here we have no endorsements on our CDL. I can quite literally get my license and the next day be tanker yanking or dragging b trains. Whereas the USA I believe needs tanker or doubles tickets to go with the CDL before they can legally pull those wagons. I could be wrong on the b trains

For as horrific as the crash was they’re doing a good job keeping things hush-hush

Also what some of our southern neighbours may not know, is up here we have no endorsements on our CDL. I can quite literally get my license and the next day be tanker yanking or dragging b trains. Whereas the USA I believe needs tanker or doubles tickets to go with the CDL before they can legally pull those wagons. I could be wrong on the b trains

Sounds like you need some serious reform in that area. Even in the United States, I think those endorsements are handed out too easily, as it is merely a very simple written test to get them. Most have all their endorsement tests as soon as they begin driving school, before they have ever even driven a truck of any kind.

Sounds like you need some serious reform in that area. Even in the United States, I think those endorsements are handed out too easily, as it is merely a very simple written test to get them. Most have all their endorsement tests as soon as they begin driving school, before they have ever even driven a truck of any kind.
I forgot to mention hazmat. We do have to take a seperate test for hazmat

I’m not sure I’d want more restrictions levied, but that’s an interesting thought.

Owner of trucking company linked to Humboldt crash recruiting drivers while under investigation | CBC News
The link doesn’t work very well, but it was reported the owner of the company had started a Kijiji ad and was advertising for new drivers soon after the crash.

For as horrific as the crash was they’re doing a good job keeping things hush-hush
Yup! I said to my boss bac in the day that I wanted to learn how to pull trains.
One day he said there is a B-train lead there and another pup do you think you can put them together?
I will give it a try. Okay. I got the train together.
Do you think you can bring it back to the yard?
I will give it a try. Okay I am back at the yard.

B-train, Training! The same deal for A-trains:thumbsup:

I thought I was outlaw when i pulled a tanker. As it turns out there is no endorsement for tanker.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread