Cross Border Trucking Plan Discussion

Mike

The plan to allow Mexican Truckers to cross the borders into the entire United State is drawing much criticism, to say the least. Those in our government argue points that claim to be good for the U.S. economy, most of those directly involved in the trucking industry are very critical of this plan.

The recent thread posted in our Trucking Industry News forum caused me to do much searching for specifics on this plan, and below are specific news releases and fact sheets regarding this plan.

Use this thread to discuss your thoughts on this new Cross Border plan, allowing Mexican trucks to travel all highways in the United States for transporting freight from Mexico into the United States, and from the United States back into Mexico.

• Will the United States be able to ensure the safety requirements on these trucks?
  • Will allowing mexican trucks into the United States according to this plan help or hurt the Trucking Industry?
  • Are you for or against this Cross Border Trucking Plan?
Below are some links from the United States Department of Transportation regarding the Cross Border Trucking Plan.

I don't like this at all. I see people argue about this citing that Mexico should have the same rights as Canada under NAFTA. I say, when Mexico can organize their own transportation system, then they can consider crossing into other countries.

Canadians have rules that they must follow in their country. What kinds of rules do Mexican Truckers follow in Mexico?

The trucking industry needs to put a stop to this as soon as possible. These Mexican drivers already haul freight withing the United States, not just into and out of Mexico. Opening them up to the entire Country is just going to ruin all the efforts made over the years to try to bring a respectable salary to truck drivers.

This never should have been allowed. Does our government take any common sense into consideration before going forward with things like this?

Does Mexico even have any type of regulations on trucking? Do they even weigh their trucks? Inspect them?

If they don't, then I don't think they should be allowed in here.

True, because that means, they could have been driving for almost two days straight, or more, without any rest, and come into the United States showing a full availability of hours on their log book.

I get more annoyed every time I read a news story about this. These people are going to come into our country, and whenever they do something dangerous on the road, will the public associate it with "mexican truckers", no. They will simply associate it with "truck drivers" in general, and it will be our name that gets tarneshed.

Hadn't really thought about that, but you are right. Just one more reason to dislike this plan.

Here is an article I stumbled acrooss while searching for more information on this new plan. I hadn't realized that Swift had purchased a Mexican trucking company back in 2004.

The article:

So, why might American trucking firms be enthusiastic about competition from Mexico? Well, maybe they don't see it as competition. Perhaps, like Swift Transportation, they have already purchased – in whole or in part – Mexican counterparts? Swift describes their purchase of Trans-Mex in 2004 as having "played a major role in Swift's continued international success."

Of course, maybe I'm just cynical about the big U.S. trucking firms' rush to employ legal "illegals" from Mexico. In 2001, the most recent data I could find, the most common salary for America's 765,000 U.S. long-haul truck drivers was about $35,500 per year. It's hard work, and 60 percent of new drivers lasted about four weeks on the job. (I couldn't find what the typical Mexican driver earns.)

Enter Mexican drivers and Mexican rigs. Lower pay. Mexican licensing. No U.S. payroll taxes. No "citizenship" issues. No Social Security or Medicare taxes. No retirement contributions. Doesn't sound like something that would interest most American drivers, does it? At least not until it's the only thing offered.

The savings from these no-nos will, of course, all be passed on to us as consumers. Wal-Mart will lower their prices by a penny across the board (probably just after the U.S. government stops minting pennies). CEOs will pass their astronomical bonuses on to workers. And pigs will fly.

The truth is fewer U.S. drivers will be employed in the very near future. Smaller trucking firms will be forced out of business, because they don't happen to own Mexican trucking firms. And more people will collect unemployment.
link

Not much more I can add to this that hasn't already been said. The government is really screwing up the trucking industry with this move.

I spoke to Senator Gordon Smith through a radio stations program allowing Oregonians to ask your Senator a question. Senator Smith, told me we had enough trucks on the road already when I asked him if you thought allowing 190,000 Mexican trucks into the U. S. was a good idea.

In mid 2001, I shut my small trucking business down and moved to BA JA, Mexico where I lived 3-years and nine months, departing in late August 2006.

I've mailed my letter to my Senator and other elected rep's. These letters can be found at:
eqneedf - View topic - Super Highway and U.S./Mexico Cross border traffic

I use my forum as a data base and all forums are closed to the public, thereby allowing me to post links. Because of the level of my work on various issues, having written 32-books in the last 27-years, maintaining a web site, many blogs to include my forum/data base, when I post a link, it often directs the reader to my resources. Since an individual is unable to post a comment with the exception of my welcome to the forum section and a few spambots that no longer are a problem, by mere fact that I've posted a link to my forum where my letters are located, by no means solicits someone to my forum.

These are some of facts and the areas of concern I’ve come up with:

The American Trucking Research Institute has reported that trucks carry almost 68 percent of all domestic tonnage and the total tonnage requirement is expected to rise steadily. All the economic indicators seem to indicate that the trucking industry will continue to experience sustained growth over the next decade. That growth will translate directly into increased demand for truck drivers, vehicles and specialized equipment as the demand to move more and more cargo and commodities throughout the nation grows. How that increased economic activity will translate into opportunities for those that serve the needs of the trucking community is the question for many small businesses that provide essential support to the industry.
http://www.topix.net/content/prweb/3346627666095802409213921875841332760119

One Year Pilot Program

“This latest effort will implement NAFTA’s access provisions with a one-year pilot program limited to 100 Mexican Trucking companies. Mexico responded to the U.S. announcement by saying it will allow 100 U.S. carriers to travel across the border into Mexico. The DOT says the first Mexican trucks could roll into the U.S. in about 60 days (in May).

The Pilot program was announced on February 23 by U.S. Secretary of Transportation Mary Peters and Mexican Secretary of Communication and Transportation Luis Téllez.

Mexican carriers operating in the U.S., according to DOT, must comply with the same safety, environmental, insurance, homeland security and other regulatory requirements that American carriers currently meet.

“Peters said the program’s objective is to simplify the current process, which requires Mexican truckers to stop and wait for U.S. trucks to arrive and transfer cargo. This process, noted Peters, wastes money, drives up the cost of goods, and leaves trucks loaded with cargo idling inside U.S. borders. She added that under current rules, U.S. trucks are not allowed into Mexico because the United States refused to implement provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement that would have permitted safe cross-border trucking.

“The United States has never shied away from opportunities to compete, to open new markets and to trade with the world,” said Peters. “Now that safety and security programs are in place, the time has come for us to move forward on this longstanding promise with Mexico.”

Of the 100 motor carriers, 70 already operate in the U.S. commercial zone – leaving 30 Mexican-domiciled carriers being considered with no experience operating on U.S. soil. “On Thursday, Feb. 22, U.S. Secretary of Transportation Mary Peters announced that U.S. officials would be inspecting the Mexican motor carriers in Mexico.

Of the 100 motor carriers, 70 already operate in the U.S. commercial zone – leaving 30 Mexican-domiciled carriers being considered with no experience operating on U.S. soil.

Required operating authority for these carriers would allow transportation only of international cargo, not U.S. domestic cargo. Carriers would also need to show proof of insurance and pay all state and federal operational taxes and registration fees, according to DOT.

“Peters said the program’s objective is to simplify the current process, which requires Mexican truckers to stop and wait for U.S. trucks to arrive and transfer cargo. This process, noted Peters, wastes money, drives up the cost of goods, and leaves trucks loaded with cargo idling inside U.S. borders. She added that under current rules, U.S. trucks are not allowed into Mexico because the United States refused to implement provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement that would have permitted safe cross-border trucking.

Mexican truck companies that allowed to participate in the program will all be required to have insurance with a U.S. licensed firm and meet all U.S. safety standards. And companies that meet these standards will be allowed to make international pick up and deliveries only and will not be able to move goods from one U.S. city for delivery to another or haul hazardous materials or transport passengers.

“The United States has never shied away from opportunities to compete, to open new markets and to trade with the world,” said Peters. “Now that safety and security programs are in place, the time has come for us to move forward on this longstanding promise with Mexico.”

“Peters added that the Department of Transportation has implemented an inspection program to ensure the safe operation of Mexican trucks crossing the border. This program will have U.S. inspectors conduct in-person safety audits to make sure participating Mexican companies comply with U.S. safety regulations, which require all Mexican truck drivers to hold a valid commercial drivers license, carry proof they are medically fit, comply with all U.S. hours-of-service rules and be able to understand questions and directions in English.”

“Peters said U.S. inspection teams will visit Mexican trucking companies to ensure their trucks and drivers meet the same safety, insurance and licensing requirements that apply to all U.S. truckers. She added the inspectors will evaluate truck maintenance and driver testing for compliance with U.S. requirements.

The inspection teams also will check whether drivers have a valid commercial driver’s license, have a current medical certificate and can comply with U.S. hours-of-service rules.

The teams will review driving histories for each driver the company plans to use to operate within the U.S. and verify the company is insured by U.S.-licensed firms.

Inspection teams will verify that every U.S.-bound truck has passed a comprehensive safety inspection. Trucks lacking required documentation will be subject to a “hood to tail-lamps” inspection by the teams.

Peters told press in El Paso, TX, that in “about 60 days” when the initial safety audits are done and proof-of-insurance verified, the first Mexican trucks will begin traveling beyond the border areas.

“We are ready with modern inspection facilities (at the U.S.-Mexico border), and we have hired and trained hundreds of inspectors,” Peters said. “All told, 540 federal and state inspectors are already on the job, standing by to screen trucks coming across the border.”

Peters contends those inspections at the border will guarantee safe operation of the Mexican motor carriers, based on current experience.

“Our records show that Mexican trucks currently operating in the commercial zone are as safe as the trucks operated by companies here in the United States,” she said. “We know this because federal and state inspectors are already screening the trucks crossing into our country from Mexico.”

“They can’t confirm whether they are safe or not. The documentation doesn’t exist on driver experience, drug testing or anything else,” OOIDA President Jim Johnston said.”

OOIDA, I and others don’t have a lot of faith in those statements.

“Utilizing FMCSA data, OOIDA officials determined the agency shows there were more than 4.65 million incoming trucks to the US from Mexico in 2005. Those 4.65 million trucks represent the entire vehicle population that could be subjected to an inspection.

Simple math indicates that the inspection rate of the entire available vehicle population is 3.9 percent. To put it another way, a Mexican truck has a 96.1 percent of not being inspected at any border crossing in the country.

“Outrageous is the best way to describe the U.S. Department of Transportation’s nearly simultaneous announcements that all safety and security issues with Mexican motor carriers have been resolved, and that 100 of these trucking companies will now be given U.S. DOT’s blessing to operate throughout the United States,” said OOIDA Executive Vice President Todd Spencer.” http://www.landlinemag.com/Special_Reports/2007/Feb07/SR%2002-23-07%20More%20MX%20trucks%20by%20JJ.htm

U.S./Mexico Cross border traffic

In 2002 Congress directed that states:

Few states have adopted laws on trucks with international shipments and not a single state enforces these laws nor have their law enforcement officers ever been trained on what to enforce and how to assure compliance with U.S. law and that safety had to be assured before the border opens.”

OOIDA http://www.ooida.com
Landline Magazine http://www.landlinemag.com
CMCA http://www.cmca.com

U.S.-domiciled motor carriers won’t be allowed into Mexico for a few months after Mexican trucks begin operating in the U.S.” http://www.logisticsmgmt.com/article/CA6419232.html

Issues/Questions for Mexican Trucking Companies and Questions for DOE/DOT?

1. How many Green Light Weigh Stations (Electronic weigh in motion systems) are in Mexico in order to determine weight prior to trucks entering America? Trucks over weight may unload their cargo at a border truck stop equipped with a distribution station. The Weigh in Motion system will alert Truck Stop Distribution Centers and DOT.

2. U. S. DOT Motor Carrier information relating too authority and insurance, carrier/owner operator safety records, driver drug programs, truck/trailer identification and computer analysis of Green Light Stations verifying truck/trailer axle weights, etc., inside Mexico placed on main Mexico Highways, alerting U. S. DOT 100 miles prior to truck crossing into America which violations/standards truck is not adhering to. In this way, truck can be routed to the proper truck stop inside Mexico or on the border in the U. S (1/4 mile radius) in order for the Owner-Operator and or Motor Carrier the means and ability to correct any deficiency in weight standards or regulations/standards not met. Yet there has been no attempt to implement this program. Why?

3. How many rest areas have been built in Mexico to accommodate U. S. trucks and are they federally protected?

4. What guarantee do U. S. trucks have that they won't be targeted by local police in every municipality as a source of income for varying violations?"

5. BA JA needs a truck stop inside Mexico in between Ensenada and Rosaritio on the Quota. LA CASA REAL was well suited for a regional truck stop. The area I chose to develop in 2001 consists of approximately 600-acres and is in between Bajamar world-class golf course and Ba Ja Seasons RV Resort next to the ocean. The area is known as Ejido Ursulo Galvan. This truck stop location was under my control for years and would have provided BA JA peninsula cities such as Camalu, known for their Tomatoes, Sonora, Ensenada, Mexicalli, San Felipe, etc., a Mexican DOT inspection Station allowing for in house enforcement to ensure Mexican trucks adhere to U. S. FHWA/DOT regulations and standards.

I offered this location to our President in 2001 and to date the location still exists.

Issues related to the entry of Mexican trucks into the United States, letter to President George Bush (March 14, 2001) http://eqneedf.jconserv.net/viewtopic.php?t=1765

6. San Ysidro and Calexico, California; Santa Teresa, New Mexico; and other boarding cities/states should be evaluated for development of secondary Truck Stops/U. S. DOT inspection stations. How many have been built?

7. Will U. S. trucks be required to pay Mexico Federal Heavy Highway Tax?

8. Are U. S./Mexico highway signs in English and Spanish?

9. Does the Mexico DOT have its highways, byways, city streets and bridges listed in compressive maps as to weight or zone restrictions and or accessible to the internet?

GIS Data - US/Mexico Border Transportation Planning – FHWA
http://www.borderplanning.fhwa.dot.gov/data_gis.asp

North American Transportation Atlas Data (NORTAD) CD (DOS and Unix) http://www.bts.gov/publications/north_american_transportation_atlas_data

Mexico’s land transportation network is one of the most extensive in Latin America http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/35749.htm

US/Mexico Border Transportation Planning – FHWA http://www.borderplanning.fhwa.dot.gov/mexico.asp

Virtual Mexico - Maps of Mexico http://www.virtualmex.com/mexico_state_map.htm

Road Logs and Driving guides for Mexico's Interior Highways by On The Road In and Mexpro Mexican Auto Insurance - The only safe way to drive a car in Mexico http://www.ontheroadin.com/mexico_highway_road_log_and_driv.htm

Drive the entire Mexico Pacific Coast safely using Ontheroadin.com/Mexpro Highway 15 and Highway 200 Road Logs and Driving Guide http://www.ontheroadin.com/travelinnformation/drive_the_entire_mexico_pacific.htm

Mexico: Mexico Expo - Mexico Driving Tips http://www.mexicoexpo.com/pages/h_drivin.html

Driving the Pan-American Highway to Mexico and Central America
http://www.escapeartist.com/Travel/eBooks/Driving_Pan-American_Highway

Mexico - Highways 15, 40 and 1. Beware of Highway 15 in the state of Sinaloa and of Highway 40 between the city of Durango and the Pacific coast areas http://www.comebackalive.com/df/dplaces/mexico/dplace2.htm

Mex 200 Route At Lazaro Cardenas CONFUSION!

“Mex 200 is the West Coast highway that begins where Mex 15 leaves off. Headed south along the coast, you greet Mex 15 at Nogales, and follow it some eight hundred miles south to the city of Tepic, where the highway veers eastward to Mexico City. Therefore at Tepic, to continue southbound to (Puerto Vallarta, Barra de Navidad, Manzanillo, Acapulco, Puerto Escondido) you must turn on to Mex 200, a mostly two-lane road.

Now Mexico has several very good North/South routes spread across the width of the country. But until recently there existed only a of "good" routes that transited the formidable "Sierras" mountains. The first, is Mex 15 itself, which continues on east, passing through Guadalajara and on to Mexico City. The second more recently completed route connects the west coast port city of Manzanillo to Guadalajara. But south of Manzanillo barely halfway down Mexico's west coast, there has been a dearth of "acceptable" highways that would connect popular interior destinations to important coastal destinations.

For the last several years now, we Mexicophiles have been waiting for the completion of a super highway link between the popular interior destinations of Morelia and Patzcuaro Michoacan, and the coast highway Mex 200. The old highway Mex 37 required six hours by car and around nine tortuous hours by RV. You name it, no striping, a billion pot holes, steep up and downs, dozens of villages with scores of unmarked speed bumps...the recollecting of this bring back a sour stomach.

But Mex 37 is completed with the exception of around twenty miles. It saves transit times by more than half. No topes, The superhighway is a godsend but the dullards in the highway department forgot to put up signs! Even 2005 maps cannot decipher the correct route around the coastal city of Lazaro Cardenas. Few folks southbound on Mex 200 end up finding the "on ramp" to the new Mex 37-D highway, and even those of us on our way past Mex 37-D southward to such destinations of Zihuatanejo and Acapulco, MISS a vital section of toll road that skims more than a half hour transit time past Lazaro Cardenas.” http://www.rversonline.org/ArtMex200.html

Mexico Distance Chart Interior Highways http://www.ontheroadin.com/travelinnformation/Mexico%20Distance%20Chart%20Interior.htm

Americans planning travel to Mexico should read:

Inter country Adoption Mexico
http://travel.state.gov/family/adoption/country/country_419.html

International Parental Child Abduction Mexico
http://travel.state.gov/family/abduction/country/country_508.html

Current as of Sun Mar 04 02:32:17 2007

Mexico Public Announcement September 15, 2006 http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html

Public Announcement January 18, 2007 http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_2100.html

New Requirements for Travelers http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Worldwide Caution Public Announcement http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_1161.html / http://travel.state.gov

Criminal assaults occur on highways throughout Mexico; travelers should exercise extreme caution at all times, avoid traveling at night http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html

Pirates Ride High on Mexico Highways - November 1999
Robbers are terrorizing the roads in a manner not seen since the revolution Authorities blame organized crime and the underground economy - Today it is worse.

by Mary Beth Sheridan
L.A. Times Staff Writer

Nestor Castellanos eased his 18-wheeler onto the freeway, carefully checking the rearview mirror. Tailing him was a black minivan with two pistol-packing guards. In the seat behind Castellanos perched a former riot police officer, tear gas at the ready.

"We've got dangerous cargo," warned the driver. http://www.landlinemag.com/Archives/1999/nov99/pirates11899.html

10. If a U. S. driver is in an accident within Mexico will they go to jail? Mexico’s current law exclaims anyone in an accident is guilty and can be incarnated to include confiscation of the truck?

11. Mexico requires BA JA and or Federal Mexican plates to travel in their country, a minimum cost of $2,000.00. America should require and issue special plates to Mexican carriers and owner operators. Truck CVSA sticker, Cargo and liability insurance must be current and paid in advance annually in order to be issued these plates. Will these plates have bar codes that will be electronically read by Customs, Secondary Truck Stop inspection stations and DOT in order to verify pertinent information’s regarding Motor Carrier/Owner Operator, cargo and liability insurance, IRP, IFTA, SSRT, CVSA, BOC-3, and drug testing programs, etc.?

12. Will there be heavy Motor Carrier fines to use false CDL? Dual Mexican and American CDL license in order to enter either Mexico or America and Mexican DOT must originate a WEB Site allowing access to information on their registered drivers including their driving records.

13. Will Mexican Motor Carriers and Owner Operators belong to IRP and IFTA and pay weight and mile distance tax in those states that require this road tax?

14. Will Mexican Motor Carriers and Owner Operators submit Single State Registration Tax (SSRT) to those states that require this dual cargo and liability insurance verification?

15. Will Mexican trucks have Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) inspection stickers issued upon entrance into the U.S. by the DOT and maintained quarterly?

16. If a Motor Carrier or Owner Operator is caught hauling illegal cargo, will their authorization to enter the U. S. should be revoked permanently. The argument “I’m not responsible for the actions of my driver” is not affective?

17. Will Mexican Owner-Operators and Motor Carriers register themselves and or drivers in a Drug Free Transportation Consortium to include initial drug testing?

18. Will Mexican Owner-Operators and Motor Carriers have on file BOC-3 (Process Agents)?

19. Oregon based Motor Carriers are required by law to maintain Workers Compensation on their drivers. Will Mexican drivers have equivalent insurance on their drivers?

20. Has Weight and Mile Distance Tax been introduced to Mexican DOT?

“So-called "double-bottoms" “trucks hauling two trailers” were estimated to increase truckers' load capacity by 35 percent, offering the industry improved ability to compete with rail carriers' stacked container methods. In the early 1990s, industry firms continued to push for legislative reforms permitting them to use double- and triple-trailers and other "longer combination vehicle" arrangements more widely.” http://www.rversonline.org/ArtMex200.html

21. You must be an experienced driver to haul double and triple trailers. What level of experience will Mexican drivers be required to have in order to haul said same in the U. S.?

22. Fuel purchased in Mexico doesn't pay for U. S. Highway taxes U. S. Trucks must pay in addition to selected states road pr mile tax and Federal Highway heavy Usage Tax. Will there be a regulated tax to off set highway taxes lost in order to allocate fair Heavy Highway Usage?

“Several industry innovations have been direct responses to government regulations in the areas of vehicle emissions, radar evasion devices, and highway safety. Environmental Protection Agency pollution mandates and related clean air laws drove industry firms in the 1980s and 1990s to explore alternatives to diesel and gasoline fuels. In 1993, for example, all trucks were required to begin using low sulfur fuels. Although the practicality of other fuel sources such as compressed natural gas and liquid petroleum was unclear in the early 1990s, research breakthroughs in fuel modification, exhaust after-treatment, and engine redesign resulted in reductions in diesel engine emissions of 40 percent over preregulatory levels.” http://www.rversonline.org/ArtMex200.html

23. Will Mexican trucks be required to adhere to EPA standards?

24. Will Mexican trucks be held to the highest standards like U. S. trucking firms are federally regulated to do?

25. How many rest areas have been built in Mexico since 2001?

26. What's the free hot line verifying Mexican Authority, labiality and cargo insurance? U. S. DOT hotline for Motor Carrier and or Broker verification of authority, BOC-3, cargo and liability insurance is 202-358-7000.

27. While Mexican trucks will not be allowed INTRA traffic within states, how will you enforce it? Brokers could easy broker a load or go to the Internet Truck Stop and find your own load rather then dead heading home. While the intent may be spelled out not to allow INTRA traffic for Mexican trucks, our own INS is unable to enforce employment laws in regards to hiring illegal aliens.

“DOT has maintained for at least a decade that the licenses used in Mexico to drive trucks are the equivalent of the American CDL, yet present facts don't back up these assertions.

U.S. regulations on Americans are much more stringent in terms of verifying that a driver has been drug tested.

U.S. licenses can also be verified to show driving history, violations and compliance of any vehicle driven going back even a decade or longer.

When enforcement officials run a Mexican CDL, the only information he can access will be that of previous operation in the U.S., not Mexico where a driver might have a rap sheet as along as your arm.

Mexico has never had specific drug testing regulations or hours-of-service rules for its drivers that could be verified or enforced and still don’t.

There is simply no way anyone can verify hours of driving as Mexican Drivers enter the U.S. from Mexico.

Once a truck from Mexico clears the border, enforcement of rules covering international shipments and authority is non-existent.” OOIDA http://www.ooida.com

“Airborne Express is one of the largest interstate trucking firms in the U.S., with in excess of 2,000 units and 2,900 drivers. The company is headquartered in Seattle, Washington.” http://semi-accident.com/airborne.html

28. Where are the 100 Mexican Trucking Companies web sites or Mexico DOT web site that list all the companies and businesses that intend to travel U. S. Highways equal to Airborne Express Trucking Safety Record Attorney Gordon S. Johnson, Jr.

29. Where does GPS tracking and or Cross International License Plates play into DOT's plan?

30. Will the Mexican Trucks be tracked by the DOT?

Advanced Mapping Technology for the Trucking Industry
http://www.safefreight.com/fleet-management-technology/gps-fleet-tracking/gps-mapping-software

DOE Shipment Tracking System Assessment - Feb 2005

5.6. Summary

DOE should continue to monitor the products and services of vehicle tracking vendors since the industry is evolving rapidly. The recent trend has been for vendors to switch dynamically between communication networks (satellite, cellular, wireless LAN) to maximize coverage and minimize cost. Increasingly sophisticated geofencing options allow for greater visibility and control over truck movements. http://www.westgov.org/wga/initiatives/wipp/TRANSCOM_Distribution_2_24_2005.pdf

“Tracking technologies use sophisticated computer systems to record the progress of freight from origin to destination and satellite technologies to provide precise locations of fleet trucks. Bar code http://www.answers.com/topic/barcode labels on freight packages and portable bar code scanners permitted industry firms to process extensive data on individual loads and monitor the movement of those loads during transport. Such electronic data interchange (EDI) http://www.answers.com/topic/electronic-data-interchange ) systems allowed truckers to "capture" data automatically and permitted shippers to link up with a carrier's computer to access data on proof of delivery, invoices, shipment routing, and freight consolidation in "real time" with greater accuracy, and with reduced administrative paperwork and storage.

Handheld, laptop, and dashboard-mounted computers let truckers communicate with company computers, keep track of information on fuel taxes and fuel management performance, store navigational maps and information on truck stops and repair facilities, record departures and arrivals, send and receive messages, monitor vehicle speed and engine conditions, and register mileage or the results of trailer inspections.

Although satellite technology for vehicle tracking and navigation has been available since the early 1980s, active industry interest began only in 1987 when the first LT carriers began installing satellite tracking equipment. These systems enabled trucking firms to locate trucks to accuracies of 300 yards by linking on-board computers with company dispatchers via specialized satellites. Less expensive "meteor burst" systems bounced VHF http://www.answers.com/topic/very-high-frequency radio waves off meteor trails to obtain the same positioning coordinates offered by satellite signals.

Using satellite tracking equipment, C. R. England and Sons achieved 98 percent on-time performance in the early 1990s. Although satellite tracking systems can add as much as 2 percent to operating costs, 2,000 U.S. trucking fleets had two-way satellite data links in 1992, and 30,000 trucks were equipped with position location systems. The number of trucks equipped with vehicle tracking equipment was expected to continue to grow.

A wide range of technology applications were introduced or were under development, ranging from "early warning systems" that use radar technology to inform drivers when they are approaching a vehicle too quickly; cab-mounted computers that reduce accidents by enabling dispatchers to remotely monitor the status of the driver and vehicle; electronic systems for registering automatic payment of tolls without requiring trucks to stop; systems for automatically monitoring freight and engine temperatures and setting temperature levels in refrigerated vehicles; and diagnostic and prognostic software packages that allow engine computers to predict component failure based on engine performance trends.

Trucks themselves have been subject to technological research and advancement. German truck manufacturers Freightliner and Mercedes Benz tested a second generation of truck design that uses an interactive video computer system. Called Vector, the system videotapes the highway as the truck drives along, interprets data such as speed and traffic, and directs the truck as to what speed it should operate. Application of this technology was not expected to reach the marketplace until well into 2000.

Potentially important technologies outside of the truck cab included laser image-processing and optical character recognition devices for speeding up paperwork using electronic scanning techniques; driver training simulators based on aerospace industry designs; shipment planner software to allow truckers to reduce "deadhead" (or empty trailer) miles; and fax and voice response systems that provide shippers with constantly updated rate quotes, transit times, and locations of in-transit shipments.” http://www.rversonline.org/ArtMex200.html

31. Will the Senate and Congress guarantee the American people/residents that everything is in order?

“The administration largely ignored the intent of Congress when specific criteria for Mexican trucks were spelled out in the 2002 legislation, it has totally ignored lawmakers admonishment that no taxpayer funds be spent in reviewing or processing applications of Mexican trucking companies,” Spencer said.

“Clearly, the agency has reviewed hundreds and Congress is still waiting on verification of safety systems that are up and running,” said OOIDA Executive Vice President Todd Spencer. http://www.landlinemag.com/Special_Reports/2007/Feb07/SR%2002-23-07%20More%20MX%20trucks%20by%20JJ.htm

32. Has Homeland Security signed off on the Pilot Program?

33. Will the drivers be checked against the terror watch list or will our borders be open to anyone with a Mexican driver’s license?

34. Will the drivers be required to carry a Mexican passport, as U.S. citizens are required to present their passports when entering the country from Mexico or Canada?

35. The integrity of drug and alcohol testing done in U.S. labs is based on a random system and drivers must be able to show up for the appointment using there own mode of transportation. How will the Mexican driver show up, suggesting the importance of pass ports and long distance for travel is an issue?

36. Who will oversee the collection of random samples?

37. Will he samples be collected in Mexico and sent to American labs or dos the Mexican driver show up in person?

38. The application of U.S. standards to Mexican drivers including the requirement that U.S. drivers have a Commercial Drivers License, undergo regular physicals and meet minimum age requirements in existence in the U. S. and what program exists for Mexican Drivers?

39. How many dual citizenship drivers are there?

Enforcement of U.S. wage and hour laws as Mexican drivers would operate under NAFTA may not be governable but lower driver wages to haul U. S. goods to Mexico and no tariffs when U. S. trucking companies are allocating 68% of there revenue for U. S. drivers wages and the loss of loads for U. S. companies with a promise that two months or so later, U. S. trucking companies can enter Mexico, when our own State Department warns Americans that travailing to the interior of Mexico is risky, not to mention a rather rough highway infrastructure, in no way can be seen as goof for the U. S. economy.

What’s worse is it is being done when were at war, with 140,000 Americans performing there duties in order to stay alive, unable to voice there opinions to there elected officials on a monumental proposal and of signicfant importance before the 110th Congress has approved real Boar legalization securing our international border.

DOT's assertion that all trucks will be inspected by U.S. officials in Mexico and at the U.S. border when less than ten percent of all Mexican trucks entering the commercial zone are inspected now is false truth?

The DOT has been disingenuous about this pilot program, indicating only a few weeks ago that it was not pursuing this pilot program.

There should always be a debate process other wise why have a Senate or Congress?

Enforcement of hours of service in Mexico, dual/false log books and fatigued drivers entering the U.S. is of concern.

DOT's assertion that all trucks will be inspected by U.S. officials in Mexico and at the U.S. border when less than ten percent of all Mexican trucks entering the commercial zone are inspected now is false truth.

This fight is worth fighting and if it comes to pass and the administration pushes until they get there way it will because we didn't fight a good fight, relying on others to include our elected rep's to fight for us.

In 2001 Teamsters went to the border and protested. Back then it was major news. Now its less important then Ana Smith.

Well I got a news flash, when I was in Mexico a made friends with many Mexicans who own their own trucks and many dual citizens cross the border into and out of Mexico on a daily bases exceeding the 25-mile zone.

Owner operators I spoke to don't want to go to America and quite frankly, large Mexican trucking companies in Mexico will go out of there way to haul there international customers products and spare parts from America to American companies doing business in Mexico and in the process make money. Companies in Mexico will reap the benifit of cheap mile rates for hauling cargo.

Looks as if you have been researching this for quite a while, thanks for the information.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread