coolent in a 2007 kenworth with a acert c-15

whats the correct type of coolent needed for my 2007 kenworth with a acert-c15

Basically use whatever color coolant is already in the system. If you talk to Caterpillar they will tell you to use cat brand extended life coolant

Last edited:
The kicker with the semi diesel coolant is making sure your additives are correct.

You have to test for silica and also what they call SCA, supplemental coolant additives.

If you don't put the SCA back in, you run the risk of destroying you engine.

If you use regular green coolant, you have to use a product like pencool 3000 to add the SCA in. Fleet guard for Cummins makes that additive as well. Cat has their version as does Detroit.

I personally use Fleet charge antifreeze. But I could NOT just start using it. Originally, I had green coolant. I had to constantly teat and monitor the system. I didn't have to maintain it much, but I was always testing it. When I had the entire system flushed and cleaned so I could change a bunch of coolant hoses, that's when I dumped back in the fleetcharge. All the additives were in the coolant already.

You want to use a good distilled water with the coolant as well. Proper pH level has to be used as well. If you use tap water, it can actually drop your pH level and make it acidic and that will destroy your engine as well. I have a bunch of wix brand test strips for testing for silicate, pH and freeze/boil level protection.

I also send fluid samples in semi- annually to have it tested by a lab.

It goes also.....

If you skip one maintenance other than oil changes and ignore your coolant, you will destroy your engine beyond repair. Yet every engine I've seen tore apart in a shop for an in-frame and rebuild can lead right back to poor coolant system maintenance.

SCA Heavy Duty Coolant & Antifreeze - Fleet Charge | PEAKhd.com

WIX 24105 - Coolant Test Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Cooling System Products - Penray

I found it by searching "caterpillar coolant specification".

You can find it for any engine manufacturer as well just replace caterpillar with that brand.

I have been partial to the red ELC coolants for over 10 years now. No having to test for SCA and such. Just freeze point every fall. Change it out at around 500,000 miles. I primarily use the Final Charge ELC. Cat EC-1 and all the other approvals.

One thing I've started doing on my repairs is seeing what's available put on the road and what the prices are. What can I find the easiest and cheapest and still get a quality job done.

Final charge, Fleet charge are both available and have the additives already premixed. Green is available also and the SCA mix.

I tend to just replace all of my coolant hoses and lines when I replace my coolant. I will replace fleet charge at about 250-300k miles and my 4 unit SCA coolant filter for SCA maintaining.

If you mix incompatible coolants, you will cause SCA or additive fallout and can destroy your engine.

Partly why I shop for what's on the road in case of a repair is needed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread