Cooking with 12 volts

Duck

Sarcastic remark goes here
Got any 12 volt recipes?

Got any 12 volt recipes?

12volt Crock Pot for the win!
We have one for camping and I've seen a few guys take them otr with them.

We use 1cup creamed mushroom soup, 1 cup cream of onion soup
sliced onions, potatoes and a 2-4lb pot roast. Some chopped celery. Put all that in the crock pot and add enough water to cover most of the roast mixing the ingredients well.

Pepper/salt to taste
Place on medium for 4+hrs or high for 2hrs. Low for 6+hrs.

Normally we start our roast or chicken around 8-9am before we head out to our camping location. Works like a champ every time!

12 volt appliances suck, basically. They're designed to draw their power from a cigarette lighter plug, so they don't use enough power to actually heat anything quickly.

I had a 12 volt coffee pot once, and after discovering that it takes the damn thing 40 minutes to brew a pot of coffee, I couldn't even give it away. I ended up washing it and putting it back in the box and I left it on the table in my company's drivers lounge with a note on it that said "FREE - nothing wrong with it, .. it's just too slow - 40 minutes to brew a pot of coffee". The boss said it was there for 4 days before someone took it.

A friend of mine has one of those lunch box heater things. I really think those things are designed not to heat food, but to simply keep it warm for day-cab drivers who cook their lunch at home in the morning. But my friend uses his every day for cooking, but it takes it 4 hours.

A 12 volt crock-pot however, seems to be a good idea because crock pots are SUPPOSED to cook things slowly, so it doesn't make a difference that it is designed to operate off of a cigarette lighter.

I don't think I've ever seen a 12 volt crock-pot so I'm wondering if they're made of glass or if they're plastic with stainless steel inside or something. I don't like having glass items in the cab of the truck.

The 12v crock pot is just like the ordinary crock pot, with a removable ceramic inset.

Do you have one in the truck? If so, .. do you take any precautions so the ceramic thing doesn't break?

When I was full time, I had them install my inverter so I could have my microwave in the cab. It has that glass tray. I really wish they would make those things out of some kind of nuke-safe plastic.

Since I bought that microwave specifically for the truck, I knew better than to throw away the original packing materials. That microwave came with polystyrene blocks that hold the glass plate diagonally inside the microwave during shipping.

Well, since the microwave got from the sweat shop in Ching-Chang, China all the way to my local Walmart riding in trucks and in ocean vessel containers being slammed around by crane operators, it was good enough for me.

Yup, I've got one in the truck. I keep it in the box it came in, minus the packing. That's to assure me it won't tip over and spill my food while I'm drving. When I'm not using it, I set the lid off to the side, or else the rattling will drive me nuts (or nutsier.) The inside pot fits so securely in the outer shell, it really doesn't rattle, so I don't worry about that breaking.

I'd like to see one made with the inside thing out of stainless steel and the outer part plastic. It would weigh less too, and when I'm changing trucks, it can be something I can toss around without worrying about breaking.

Here's a simple and cheap one for a crock pot. Half a cup of rice, and half a cup of lentils (follow directions on the package for the amount of water to cook them in) and a can of your favorite soup. I did this a few days ago with a can of cheese and broccoli soup and I added some frozen broccoli I had in the freezer. It turned out pretty good, albeit nothing fancy. Try it with cream of chicken soup and a can of chicken, or tomato soup and some diced tomatoes. The possibilities are endless.

What the hell are lentils?

Google, my dear, it's a wonderful invention........

I know what lentils are. I was being a smart-ass, because I'm a carnivore. Not very big on beans, or "legumes" unless it's just a filler item like the flatulence fuel added to chili for some reason. One of these days I'm going to make chili with no beans and see how it turns out.

What the hell are lentils?

HEY when did you get a moderatorship position?

I know what lentils are. I was being a smart-ass, because I'm a carnivore. Not very big on beans, or "legumes" unless it's just a filler item like the flatulence fuel added to chili for some reason. One of these days I'm going to make chili with no beans and see how it turns out.

According to southerners beans are just filler and don't belong in 'real' chilly.

I had a good one tonight. Boneless skinless chicken breast, a can of black beans, some okra and onions out of the freezer, and a can of spicy tomatoes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread