Carrier A11 "low engine oil pressure" fault

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Woke this morning to the attention grabbing experience of the reefer starting and immediately shutting off.

Only to have it capitalized on to read an error code of A11 - low engine oil pressure.

This is a "no run, it's dead, I ain't having none of it" error code.

So I was very tickled to be able to tap on the oil pressure sensor and get the reefer to run no problem.

Trip to the parts store today I'm guessing if I can find one or else tomorrow.


My options:
Find a dealer and get robbed or order it on-line.
Screenshot_20170521-075709.png

Since it's just a standard 2-wire oil pressure switch.....

Find a Napa that's open...
Screenshot_20170521-075042.png

Option 3:
Cut the wires and splice together. While it gets me running, it leaves the engine totally unprotected in case oil pressure really does go bad. Must be absolute last resort IMHO.
 

Duck

Talks to Mice
Supporter
Option 4. Don't cut the wires. Just make a jumper with male spade terminals. Order the proper sensor and when you have it, swap it out.
 

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Option 4. Don't cut the wires. Just make a jumper with male spade terminals. Order the proper sensor and when you have it, swap it out.
The sensor with the orange wires is OEM.

So it's a weather pack connection
 

Duck

Talks to Mice
Supporter
The sensor with the orange wires is OEM.

So it's a weather pack connection
Yeah I see that now. But you'd have to cut the OEM wires to use option #2.

If you have a perishable load in it and need it running NOW, and tapping on the sensor doesn't keep solving it, can you still jumper it somehow so you don't have to cut factory wires?
 

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Get a switch at NAPA, make temporary jumpers until you have time to do it right. That way you don't lose your engine protection. Although the question arises, it that switch or a sending unit?
 

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Switch

Went to O'Reilly's.

Installed a new switch. Cut the wires and put spade terminals on.

It'll work until I can get an OEM and the engine is protected.

IMG_20170521_090925161.jpg

Learned the value of having a set of JB weld Kwik weld epoxy or water weld putty.

I spun the switch into the housing by hand.

Mind you, I took it out with a wrench.

Heard a "pop". Didn't think much of it.

Started it up. It was leaking.

Pulled it out and since all it had for thread seal was that red stuff from the factory, figured it needed Teflon tape.

So I put some on and spun it back it.

Still leaking.....


But oooh so apparent that the housing is cracked.


Inside to orielly's again for a file, brake clean and JB weld.

No more leak.

IMG_20170521_193203607.jpg
 
Top