Carmakers going back to Low Tech amid Semiconductor Shortage

Uncle Birchy

Chip Shortage Forces Automakers to Get Creative
When automakers were first hit with chip shortages at the end of last year, they tried idling factories until the troubles blew over. But with the crisis stretching into its fifth month and getting worse, they’re getting creative to keep at least some production moving forward.

Nissan is leaving navigation systems out of thousands of vehicles that typically would have them because of the shortages. Ram no longer offers its 1500 pickups with a standard “intelligent” rearview mirror that monitors for blind spots. Renault has stopped offering an oversized digital screen behind the steering wheel on its Arkana SUV -- also to save on chips.

I say "Good" all that extra crap just adds 5/10 grand to the price of a new vehicle.

Many dealers do not even offer "base" models anymore forcing consumers to shell out for abuncha high tech add-ons whether they needed em or not.

Gosh maybe some good will come outta this chip shortage

I say "Good" all that extra crap just adds 5/10 grand to a new vehicle.

Many don't even offer "base models" anymore forcing consumers to shell out thousands extra for abuncha high tech crap whether they needed it or not.

do you really think they are going to reduce to price of a car over this?
:rolllaugh3: :rolllaugh3: :rolllaugh3:
I don't know.

I wonder if Ford N series tractors built during WW2 rationing were sold cheaper.

They put steel paddle wheels on them because rubber was only allowed to be used for military purposes.

They had hand cranks to start them, and magneto ignition because lead was rationed, so they couldn't put batteries in them.

After the restrictions were lifted, people could bring them to the dealers to have them upgraded to normal.

I say "Good" all that extra crap just adds 5/10 grand to the price of a new vehicle.

Many dealers do not even offer "base" models anymore forcing consumers to shell out for abuncha high tech add-ons whether they needed em or not.

BS on dealers not offering base models. Any dealer will order whatever you want.

The general public does not want base models so many dealerships do not stock them. Like any other business they stock what a majority of their customers want.

Agreed. Most consumers turn their noses up at base models. Even broke people. Lol.
I ain't broke it's just abuncha crap I don't want or need nor do I wish to have it padded into the price to the tune of an extra 5/10 grand.

Furthermore it's just more stuff to break, fail , and expensive repairs.

do you really think they are going to reduce to price of a car over this?
:rolllaugh3: :rolllaugh3: :rolllaugh3:
Maybe once the pent up demand from shortages and near zero interest rates dries up...

Can't last forever and eventually when sales drop sharply they will be slashing prices and get on their hands and knees "Begging" for serious buyers when bankrupt people can't borrow way beyond their means anymore.

Same for your smart-ass remarks too @krelithous ..see post #8

Last edited:
Maybe once the pent up demand from shortages and near zero interest rates dries up...

Can't last forever and eventually when sales drop sharply they will be slashing prices and get on their hands and knees "Begging" for serious buyers when bankrupt people can't borrow way beyond their means anymore.

Same for your smart-ass remarks too @krelithous ..see post #8

They charge triple the price for lumber, and people still buy it.

Because they're f*ing retarded.

As long as idiots are willing to pay 3 times the legitimate market price, they'll have no reason to lower them.

They charge triple the price for lumber, and people still buy it.

Because they're f*ing retarded.

As long as idiots are willing to pay 3 times the legitimate market price, they'll have no reason to lower them.
When "cheap" easy credit dries they won't be able too anymore.

If this Inflation really starts getting outta control they'll have to revert back to 1980s Fed Policy to preserve the dollar.

That's when those who actually saved some cash will make out like bandits

Exactly!
Even worse is those people that need options like parallel parking assist, lane departure warnings.
Hello? The road has painted lines? Remember coloring in kindergarten? Stay inside the lines.
i don't understand why people need crap like lane departure warnings and parallel parking assist. since half of that crap don't work unless the vehicle can see the lines on the road. though adaptive cruise is nice. but people go out and buy cars they can't afford then there crying there upside down on it :rolleyes:. i'll never forget when i had my bimmer it was loaded paid cash. brought it in to get it fixed i never heard a mech cuss so much he was like effing germany now i have to call and get the schematics on it :D

Last edited:
When "cheap" easy credit dries they won't be able too anymore.

If this Inflation really starts getting outta control they'll have to revert back to 1980s Fed Policy to preserve the dollar.

That's when those who actually saved some cash will make out like bandits
buying a used home is just as bad right now sellers are getting crazy and buyers are getting crazier. i sold mine 197 k more than it was worth:stare1:. i waiting to see when the next housing bubble's gonna happen

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread