Canada extends hours of service flexibility to carriers providing COVID-19 relief

Mike

Canadian authorities have approved an exemption to the hours of service for federally regulated carriers and drivers transporting essential relief supplies in all provinces and territories during the COVID-19 crisis.

Dubbed “The Essential Freight Transport Exemption” the exemption is designed solely to assist extra-provincial carriers and their drivers engaged in the transport of essential supplies and equipment in direct assistance to the emergency relief efforts during the response to COVID-19, according to a news release from The Canadian Trucking Alliance. The exemption will be available until April 30, or before it is no longer deemed necessary by federal officials. It was approved March 24.

Read the exemption here.

The Canadian exemption is over-regulated and onerous so that few drivers will take advantage of it.

Unlike the American exemption to Hours of Service Regulation in the wake of Hurricane Katrina in 2005 which were, to the best of my knowledge, much more flexible. I made it down from Ontario, Canada to Louisiana with no trouble from the DOT and no special paperwork or having my dispatch put my name on a special list.

Canada ain't so trucking friendly up here.......won't even let a driver fuel both sides of his truck at the same time :mad:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread