Can FMCSA-banned trucker return to Ontario roads?

If they are operating in Ontario or California yes. He was here and violated. He should be held to the exact same standard as an American driver and his company should be held to the exact same standard as an American company. Clearly since he is still driving he is not.

{EDIT}
Or in Ontario Ca still yes.Plus a taser to the nuts for being dumb enough to be there. This is about his infractions here. Not what he is doing elsewhere.

Now as I read our regulations this driver should be on the hook for $16,000 in fines and facing a minimum 7 year suspension of his license, and his company should be fined 100K and face a compliance audit to continue operations south of the border.
That's what I've been saying.

We don't get to tell Canada who can or can't be on their roads. That's their decision as an independent country.

We do, however, get to say who can and can't operate on our roads. ...and I'm pretty sure this driver won't be back. The carrier's MC and DOT #s could very easily be suspended as well. (I believe Canadian companies are required to have them if they operate in the US. @rigjockey?) That prevents them from legally running on US roads.

But we don't get to shut them down in Canada. That's up to Canadian authorities, under Canadian laws for violating Canada's rules while operating in Canada.

If that carrier never crosses the border again, they are getting the full force of US law applied to them. They can pay the fine or stay in Canada. If they stay in Canada, they won't be on our roads. But I don't believe that needs to apply to RJ or any of the other thousands of Canadian drivers who are here legally and safely.

His license, I'm sure, is no longer valid in the US. We do not have the right to demand Canada enforce our laws in a manner that is contrary to their own Constitution. Period.

They are a sovereign nation.

Similarly, Mexico does not have the right to demand we take everybody's guns away because it's private ownership is not legal in Mexico. Been a few times people have gotten lost at the border crossing, just wanted to turn around, but got nailed for a firearm they legally possessed in the US, but because they set one foot in Mexico, they pay the price. Their release was negotiated and they were returned to the US. Now. Does Mexico then have the right to demand the US continue to jail the individual for decades, even though he did nothing wrong according to US law? Should that dummy's rights be stripped from him because he made a wrong turn and couldn't turn around without going onto Mexican soil?

Granted, this driver was willful in his disobedience to US rules...NOT laws ...and the lost idiot made a mistake. However, the two scenarios are similar.

You are demanding a foreign country enforce rules in the same manner we do, despite their laws prohibiting it. If it's okay for us to make these demands, then it will be okay for other nations to make similar demands of us.

The man's license is not valid in the USA. What he does in Canada from here on out is none of our business.

The case of the guy who crossed into Juarez with a truckload of ammunition still had me baffled. It's very obvious at the Bridge of the Americas that you are crossing into Mexico. How these drivers end up in Mexico accidentally is a mystery. But then these are the same kind of drivers that end up on NY Parkways and top a trailer.

Fmcsa has no authority in Canada.
The driver does have the potential of still driving on Ontario roads.
I am pretty sure New York is one of the State that has reciprocity with Ontario, so maybe he won't be driving on Ontario or Canadian roads if his record is bad enough
It would be up to the American authorities to keep him out should he try to reenter.

So to be clear a Canadian driver can commit an offense that would automatically cause a license suspension for an American driver and skate Scott free into his home country. So not treated equally.

Reason number 12,342,764 why we need to slam the door on the border.

So to be clear a Canadian driver can commit an offense that would automatically cause a license suspension for an American driver and skate Scott free into his home country. So not treated equally.

Imagine what Mexican truck drivers will get away with. In addition to that, they'll be able to play the race card too. :eek:

Either our licenses have reciprocity, and that includes penalties, or they do not. This case has shown me proof they do not so end reciprocity now and the cross border thing will work itself out when they are no longer allowed to drive here.

How do you figure that? His license would be suspended if the states where the violations occurred have reciprocity with the issuing state of province.
It is no different than an American driver racking up a bunch of tickets or tolls and then ****ing off back to the U.S. so yeah it's equal.
Oh but I forgot Americans are so ****ing perfect, they never do anyting wrong.
Clearly you do not understand the first thing about how cross border trucking works, penalties or regulations so you should really stop commenting on it.

If you have a problem with it then you should write a letter to Obama!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I've been saying.

We don't get to tell Canada who can or can't be on their roads. That's their decision as an independent country.

We do, however, get to say who can and can't operate on our roads. ...and I'm pretty sure this driver won't be back. The carrier's MC and DOT #s could very easily be suspended as well. (I believe Canadian companies are required to have them if they operate in the US. @rigjockey?) That prevents them from legally running on US roads.

But we don't get to shut them down in Canada. That's up to Canadian authorities, under Canadian laws for violating Canada's rules while operating in Canada.

If that carrier never crosses the border again, they are getting the full force of US law applied to them. They can pay the fine or stay in Canada. If they stay in Canada, they won't be on our roads. But I don't believe that needs to apply to RJ or any of the other thousands of Canadian drivers who are here legally and safely.

The couple times I went to Canada, I wasn't required to operate under Canadian numbers. My US numbers were all I needed. IFTA is afterall "International" and so is the IRP.

The couple times I went to Canada, I wasn't required to operate under Canadian numbers. My US numbers were all I needed. IFTA is afterall "International" and so is the IRP.
In Ontario you would need a CVOR #

Either our licenses have reciprocity, and that includes penalties, or they do not. This case has shown me proof they do not so end reciprocity now and the cross border thing will work itself out when they are no longer allowed to drive here.
I honestly can not wait until I get a local job and will NEVER have to go to the U.S. ever again!

I honestly can not wait until I get a local job and will NEVER have to go to the U.S. ever again!

The wall just got shorter.
:)

But you're still paying for it!
:eek:

images

How do you figure that? His license would be suspended if the states where the violations occurred have reciprocity with the issuing state of province.
It is no different than an American driver racking up a bunch of tickets or tolls and then ****ing off back to the U.S. so yeah it's equal.
Oh but I forgot Americans are so ****ing perfect, they never do anyting wrong.
Clearly you do not understand the first thing about how cross border trucking works, penalties or regulations so you should really stop commenting on it.

If you have a problem with it then you should write a letter to Obama!
I fully agree it should work both ways. If they receive violations north of the border they should fave the same penalties as any Canadian would.

To have two different sets of rules for drivers on the same road is wrong and needs to be addressed.

To have two different sets of rules for drivers on the same road is wrong and needs to be addressed.

Importe de su negocio , gringo !
:mad:

Имейте в виду свой бизнес , товарищ !

alssamt kafir !!

:)

One good example would be in Ontario they have the 407 toll road. Big trucks need a transponder to use it and the fines for not having one are huge as are the toll rates.
Now , if an American runs that road the toll road has no way to collect their money from an out of Province tagged vehicle. They can collect or have an Ontario licenced driver denied their license renewal.

Do I worry about this? No! Because I have enough of my own problems. I don't have time to worry about what everyone else is doing and how life is unfair.:throwfit:

I would do that.

Well probably,... depending on which 4 letter word was replaced by the asterisks. :eek:

As US citizens we have diplomatic immunity wherever we go. We can do whatever we want & get away with it. :D

But you can't do that here. We'll send you to Gitmo.

Don't like it? Tough. I hear iodine capsules help with radiation sickness. ;)

stirpot2-big.gif

I give a damn about where people get cotton candy ( that is the only definition of fair I recognize). However I will continue to advocate closed borders for issues like this and the ones you pointed out Canadians face. I have no desire to have an even more homogenized group of puck nuts on American roads like they have in the EU. Where drivers operate with impunity because they can go home.

We can either have one governing body (Oh hell no!) Or people can just learn to stay on their side of the line. Clearly no one is interested in actual reciprocity.​

Bleh..

Nevermind.

Reciprocity sucks, I'm glad it doesn't exist across the board. I can't live under California's laws. That's why I'm a citizen of Idaho.

Bleh..

Nevermind.

Reciprocity sucks, I'm glad it doesn't exist across the board. I can't live under California's laws. That's why I'm a citizen of Idaho.
We all have to deal with California's lunacy. CARB.

Sometimes I wish individual states could declare war on each other. ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread