Trucking News: Camera monitor systems a substitute for rearview mirrors?

Mike

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration wants public comment on whether or not the agency should allow camera-based rear visibility systems as an alternative to inside and outside rearview mirrors.

An advance notice of proposed rulemaking is scheduled to publish in the Federal Register on Thursday, Oct. 10.

Current federal motor vehicle safety standards require vehicles to be equipped with rearview mirrors.

The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers and Tesla petitioned NHTSA to allow camera monitor systems as an alternative for passenger vehicles, and Daimler Trucks North America submitted a similar petition for heavy-duty vehicles. The petitions cited improved fuel economy as the primary benefit of allowing this change.

“This advance notice of proposed rulemaking builds on the agency’s efforts to obtain supporting technical information, data, and analysis on camera monitor systems so that the agency can determine whether these systems can provide the same level of safety as the rearview mirrors currently required,” the notice stated.

While having a back up camera is cool. You still need side view mirrors I have seen countless people back down the side of lots of things because it wasn’t in their path on that camera. To be honest, I always use my side mirrors, doesn’t matter if it’s POV or big truck. I don’t look over my shoulder and I don’t use the rear view or camera. Just the way I was taught to drive.

While having a back up camera is cool. You still need side view mirrors I have seen countless people back down the side of lots of things because it wasn’t in their path on that camera. To be honest, I always use my side mirrors, doesn’t matter if it’s POV or big truck. I don’t look over my shoulder and I don’t use the rear view or camera. Just the way I was taught to drive.

The cameras replace the side mirrors. You see everything you would see with that mirror and more, including the blind spot. I am very interested in seeing this technology hit the market.

The cameras replace the side mirrors. You see everything you would see with that mirror and more, including the blind spot. I am very interested in seeing this technology hit the market.
A couple years ago I test drove a brand new RV that had these cameras on it. They were mounted on the front fender facing rear. When you hit the turn signal the camera showed up on a screen. It showed a lot more than I could see in the mirror. I used it more than the mirrors. When I buy a truck if this is not an option I will opt to not have the front mirrors and have custom install of one of the camera systems done. Mirrors are a huge drag on fuel efficiency and you can see more in the cameras.

A bunch of years ago I was parked at that crap hole flying J north of Winchester, VA and some jackass took out my right side mirror when I was in the shower.

I had to go to Harrisonburg to get it fixed.

You never realize how much you use that right mirror just going down the road in the right lane on the interstate.

You pass an entrance ramp and there's a car on it but you have no idea if they were able to merge in behind you or if they had to run down the shoulder.

Passing slow trucks was a nightmare, but I did hear one guy get on the CB and say "ya missed me, Mr Broken Mirror" and I could see his high beams flashing in the little spot mirror on the hood.

A mirror will never malfunction unless it's smashed though. How reliable are these cameras going to be?

The petitions cited improved fuel economy as the primary benefit of allowing this change.
What’s the difference between an inside mirror and an outside mirror?

Also, that’s horse **** that mirrors affect fuel economy. Trucks would look dumb with no mirrors. That’s about as awkward as someone allegedly ****ing an ostrich.

A couple years ago I test drove a brand new RV that had these cameras on it. They were mounted on the front fender facing rear. When you hit the turn signal the camera showed up on a screen. It showed a lot more than I could see in the mirror. I used it more than the mirrors. When I buy a truck if this is not an option I will opt to not have the front mirrors and have custom install of one of the camera systems done. Mirrors are a huge drag on fuel efficiency and you can see more in the cameras.
What about winter driving such as ice and snow.....what effect will this have on the function of these camera???

What about winter driving such as ice and snow.....what effect will this have on the function of these camera???
I didn't drive it in the snow and ice obviously but I did ask about that. They said the shape was designed to help prevent the buildup. The lenses must've been heated too. The windows were fogged up so that I had to use the defroster and wait a few minutes for it to clear but the cameras were clear when I started driving. I know they had the infrared lights on them. Maybe they came on to prevent the build up?

I didn't drive it in the snow and ice obviously but I did ask about that. They said the shape was designed to help prevent the buildup. The lenses must've been heated too. The windows were fogged up so that I had to use the defroster and wait a few minutes for it to clear but the cameras were clear when I started driving. I know they had the infrared lights on them. Maybe they came on to prevent the build up?
Thank you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread