California opens highway rest stops to food trucks, helping truckers get warm meals

Mike

SACRAMENTO —
Food trucks will be allowed to operate at the 86 state rest areas in California during the COVID-19 pandemic to provide access to food for highway motorists, including truck drivers, as well as economic relief to food-truck operators, Caltrans announced Friday.

The lifting of the state’s ban on food trucks at rest stops was part of an executive order issued Thursday by Gov. Gavin Newsom and also made possible by a Federal Highway Administration rule change.

Local bar I get dinner from a couple times a week from has one. They are in a thrift store parking lot during the week and Wal Mart on the weekends. They said revenue from it is whats keeping their head above water.
I’ve only ever ate off a couple but they’re popular. We built a school in a sketchy neighborhood a few years ago, across the street is the VA hospital and the defense supply center. The first day I saw a taco truck parked in an abandoned grocery store, I thought “yep not me”. I was amazed every day at lunch there would be people in business suits and fancy dresses and scrubs driving nice cars lined up waiting at that taco truck.

I’ve only ever ate off a couple but they’re popular. We built a school in a sketchy neighborhood a few years ago, across the street is the VA hospital and the defense supply center. The first day I saw a taco truck parked in an abandoned grocery store, I thought “yep not me”. I was amazed every day at lunch there would be people in business suits and fancy dresses and scrubs driving nice cars lined up waiting at that taco truck.
We had one that served Mexican food. They had some licensing trouble. Something about the city will only license them for 6 months of the year. Owner didn't know that and bought his license early in the winter so by the time the season rolled around he didn't have much time left. I haven't seen it around i'm assuming they moved to a different town.

We had one that served Mexican food. They had some licensing trouble. Something about the city will only license them for 6 months of the year. Owner didn't know that and bought his license early in the winter so by the time the season rolled around he didn't have much time left. I haven't seen it around i'm assuming they moved to a different town.
Around here the have food truck rallies, I might do that this summer.

The Mr. Taco food truck in Memphis has really good tacos for $2 a piece. I pull over on the shoulder and grab 3 with cilantro and sour cream and head back out. They are authentic Mexican tacos, taste really good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread