Boxing match of a lifetime, that never really happened. Rocky Marciano vs. Muhammad Ali

Mike

It's amazing what they were able to do with computers that long ago. Does it make me believe Rocky would have defeated Ali? No. Does it make me think the opposite? no. entertaining to watch, though.

The difference in conditioning is stunning.
Yes and no. Most film I seen of Rocky in his prime was of a guy is really good shape. Not bulked up muscles like the more modern boxers, but it was a different style.

Ali was fast. Footwork. He changed the sport. Rocky was a guy that got low and fought from that position.

I wonder who would have won an actual fight between those two.

Only fact, nobody ever beat Rocky.

I guess to expand on what I said. In the computer fight, they assumed both fighters in their prime, but didn't show Rocky in his prime. As a young fighter, the guy was very well conditioned. not bulky like more modern fighters, but very well conditioned.

Yes and no. Most film I seen of Rocky in his prime was of a guy is really good shape. Not bulked up muscles like the more modern boxers, but it was a different style.

Ali was fast. Footwork. He changed the sport. Rocky was a guy that got low and fought from that position.

I wonder who would have won an actual fight between those two.

Only fact, nobody ever beat Rocky.
The sport had advanced so much between their eras, it wouldn't be a fair fight. Ali was so much faster than what Rocky had ever seen. He'd be hard pressed to ever land a punch. Ali would be in trouble if he did, but I don't think Rocky could overcome differential.

The sport had advanced so much between their eras, it wouldn't be a fair fight. Ali was so much faster than what Rocky had ever seen. He'd be hard pressed to ever land a punch. Ali would be in trouble if he did, but I
don't think Rocky could overcome differential.

I think it was called the debate of a century, or something similar. It was two different styles. It was two different paths to the top.

It was also a small defining moment in the differences in two eras regarding respect. Listen to Rocky talk about his opponents, and talk about Ali. Listen to Ali talk about his opponents and talk about Rocky. It was like two different worlds, and for many reasons.

If you follow boxing today, particularly the heavyweights, you see that conditioning has started to overtake strength again. Many mistake conditioning for muscle (bulk), when that is not really a factor. Muscle comes from conditioning, but conditioning isn't a result of bulking up. Boxers, used their natural talents and went as far as those talents would take them. For some, it was brute force, for some, it was maneuverability, and for some it was a balance of the two.

Boxing....two men, in satin trunks, fighting over a purse and belt.

crazy as hell right there. one thing the computer doesn’t factor is heart. Ali could get in someone’s head. That could mess with the game. When you can’t factor for the human factor it kind of throws it all out the window. But very cool to watch.

:rolllaugh: That was the exact Youtube I was going to post when I saw the thread. One of my favorite scenes from coming to America. Eddie Murphy performing in white face as a Jewish man and no one has ever said a word!
Anytime we get talking about boxing and someone says Rocky Marciano, I go on the same rant as the barber:rolllaugh:

Everybodies talking about the heavyweights. Well. I would thrive remissed if somebody anybody just one body mention that....................

Iron mike.jpg Tyson

Would knock both Ali and Rocky out in the 1st few rounds or so. K'O

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread