Beginning the Keto Diet tomorrow. (1 Viewer)

Shreck

Premium
Threads
Wasn't testing myself, just keeping the carbs low at the time.

Also had a couple 24 hour fasts and a 47 hour fast. Yeah, I broke at hour 47 and ate something before going to bed. Lol.

It takes people a few days typically to become fat adaptive and start producing ketones. Some people, it can take 2-3 weeks.
How do you tell when you are producing ketones?

Sinister

You know what, Stuart? I like you!
Staff member
Supporter
Threads

Also had a couple 24 hour fasts and a 47 hour fast. Yeah, I broke at hour 47 and ate something before going to bed. Lol.

It takes people a few days typically to become fat adaptive and start producing ketones. Some people, it can take 2-3 weeks.
If the idea is to improve nutrition, then I think start off not eating for vast periods of time is the equivalent of a New Years resolution to lose weight. You see those guys walking briskly around truck stops every January, but very few in February.

Because you're starting off on a negative. Setting too high a goal at the outset.

Mike

Staff member
Threads
If the idea is to improve nutrition, then I think start off not eating for vast periods of time is the equivalent of a New Years resolution to lose weight. You see those guys walking briskly around truck stops every January, but very few in February.

Because you're starting off on a negative. Setting too high a goal at the outset.
This was a few years back. I had been doing keto for a while, doing lots of research, and decided to experiment with the fasting.

Mike

Staff member
Threads
You can get things that test for it. For me, only test I done was to simply mention it during a DOT physical and they were abled to see the ketones in my urine test and told me.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Premium
Threads
You can get things that test for it. For me, only test I done was to simply mention it during a DOT physical and they were abled to see the ketones in my urine test and told me.
One used to be able to buy "Ketostix" test strips to test for ketone in urine. They only cost a couple of bucks back in the day.

Mike

Staff member
Threads
One used to be able to buy "Ketostix" test strips to test for ketone in urine. They only cost a couple of bucks back in the day.
If I stick with this, I'm gonna get the breath meter. I know blood is more accurate, but I'm not stabbing myself

The urine strips are good in the beginning to see that your body is actually producing ketones, but not really accurate once your body is properly using the ketones and not discarding them.

CharlieK

Un-Known Member
Premium
Threads

@Mike what value do you see in fasting? I'm aware of the fact that it's a pretty common thing, that a lot of people do, but I've never understood it. To me, the point that @Sinister hit, is just the tip of the ice berg.

Have you ever tried to put an accurate number on your BMR? I mean by testing it yourself over time, with your days activities staying as similar as possible, as well as diet?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Premium
Threads
@Mike what value do you see in fasting? I'm aware of the fact that it's a pretty common thing, that a lot of people do, but I've never understood it. To me, the point that @Sinister hit, is just the tip of the ice berg.

Have you ever tried to put an accurate number on your BMR? I mean by testing it yourself over time, with your days activities staying as similar as possible, as well as diet?
For insulin resistance in type II diabetes theres a huge advantage. Going to 2 meals, no snacks (a short fast essentially) means your insulin levels will be lower throughout the day. That helps your body use its insulin.

CharlieK

Un-Known Member
Premium
Threads
For insulin resistance in type II diabetes theres a huge advantage. Going to 2 meals, no snacks (a short fast essentially) means your insulin levels will be lower throughout the day. That helps your body use its insulin.
Big difference from 2 meals a day, to a 24 and 47 hour fast...

Mike

Staff member
Threads

Lots of theories on how fasting can be beneficial to your body. Supposed to help with overall digestion, resets you palette which helps with long time cravings.

Since much of this eating style bases around Paleo, fasting started being tested because it used to be a natural part of our diet. You ate when food was available, then it might be a day or three between meals at times.

As for BMR, never checked.

I'm currently on another attempt at getting adapted to keto. I did it once pretty successfully for a while, then lots of major changes took place in my life and I went back to lots of bad habits I guess due to stress.

This time, I took a week off from work.

Began at the start of the month, weighing in at my heaviest ever. 230 pounds.

Weighed before leaving the house on Sunday, and dropped to 221.

I've actually managed to do well out on the road this week, no big fast food cravings, and thanks to eating much better, I am feeling way better than normal.

Mike

Staff member
Threads
Exactly.

Pretty soon, I will test the waters with just a coffee fast. My coffee has 2 tablespoons of butter and a tablespoon of coconut oil to boost my fat intake. If I can do that without my hunger bothering me, I will try a 24 hour fast a few days after that.

I would ultimately like to get to the point where I can do a 24-72 hour fast every month or so. I may tie those into any periods where I exhibit a weight loss stall.

Mike

Staff member
Threads
This is a pretty lofty goal for me. Starting at 230, the ultimate goal is to shoot for 150-160 and see how I feel and where my fat percentage is at.

Initial goal is to get below 200 by end of 2020, which will no doubt be tested by Thanksgiving and Christmas.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Premium
Threads
There is, but for a type Ii diabetic, a long fast would cause your blood glucose to soar. Just the kind of reaction you're using a keto diet to avoid.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Threads
Talked with both my cardiologist, dietician and my primary about a keto diet.

All have advised against this diet.

Too many unknowns when it comes to coronary disease to justify the risks.

Mike

Staff member
Threads
Talked with both my cardiologist, dietician and my primary about a keto diet.

All have advised against this diet.

Too many unknowns when it comes to coronary disease to justify the risks.
Most will advise against it. The majority of doctors (thankfully the number is declining) run from any natural means of making someone healthy.

They make more money if they can keep you coming in to visit for the rest of your life.

Mike

Staff member
Threads
This video touches on it a little, digging into all of his videos can answer about everything.

Only quoting your post here as I just finished the video and was coming here to post it.

MJ1657

Thirsty
Premium
Threads
We had a cow come in the barn last night with Ketosis. She's a big grandma cow and it was not pretty. Thankfully we got her up and out before she went down.

Users who are viewing this thread