Beginning the Keto Diet tomorrow. (1 Viewer)

Mike

Staff member
Threads
Get a small fry and eat three or four of them.

Not three of four whole small fries, but individual fries.
3-4 at a time maybe, lol.

I'm easing into Keto this time. Eat something not keto every other day, then add the days in between as I feel comfortable.

Just once a day in the first week will be an accomplishment, there are times where I end up ordering crap food twice a day.

Sinister

You know what, Stuart? I like you!
Staff member
Supporter
Threads
3-4 at a time maybe, lol.

I'm easing into Keto this time. Eat something not keto every other day, then add the days in between as I feel comfortable.

Just once a day in the first week will be an accomplishment, there are times where I end up ordering crap food twice a day.
How do you not destroy your intestine??

I'd have to be locked away in a tower. With a strong breeze at the top.

Duck

Sarcastic remark goes here
Premium
Threads
Wendy's will make your burger and put it between to lettuce leaves. Same with In n Out. I don't really do Keto but I don't do grains either
That's gotta be the dumbest thing any restaurant chain has done prior to the covid stupidity. 😂

Sinister

Staff member
Supporter
Threads
That's gotta be the dumbest thing any restaurant chain has done prior to the covid stupidity. 😂
Low carb option. You'd be surprised how popular it is.

Because smart people are aware that too many grains is not good.

quillcom

Threads
But, I'm officially making another go of it. Lol.
Gl.

So I did not know much about the Keto diet. Did a little research.

Tell me if you experienced this...

They say going into "ketosis" on this diet makes you feel hungry.

So to fix that they say you have to take in more fiber and water to get the fullness feeling.

Found too that while most on this diet do lose the weight short term over other top diets, that in the long term it evens out with other diets.

So Mike how are you with portion or serving sizes. Is that something you pay attention to?

As you know calories are calories.

Again gl.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Premium
Threads
No. When you're eating a carb based diet, carbs are converted to glucose which is rapidly burned or converted into body fat. Your blood sugar crashes leaving you hungry for more carbs.

A keto diet converts your body into burning fat for fuel. It takes longer for the body to convert fats to energy, limiting the blood sugar spike after eating. If further energy is required, the body converts stored fat to energy (thus the weight loss.) In fact you feel less hungry on a proper keto diet.

So to fix that they say you have to take in more fiber and water to get the fullness feeling
Absolutely incorrect. After establishment on the keto diet, you dont feel hunger as much, or a lack of "fullness."

Found too that while most on this diet do lose the weight short term over other top diets, that in the long term it evens out with other diets.
Its easier to remain on keto, and to regulate weight loss you just add more veggies back into the diet. Its meant as a long term solution to nutrition.

Other "top diets" do depends on portion control and restricting calories, which usually lead to a yo-yo effect, where one puts the weight back on.

that something you pay attention to?
Yes. Its mix of fats, proteins and veggies. To get into ketosis, you totally give up grains, starches, sugars... foods that are easily converted to glucose. So your optimal diet is about 75% fats, 20% protein and 5% carbs. You want to restrict carbs to less than 40 grams per day to start , 200 or so grams of proteins or less, and the rest in high quality fats, in about a 3:1 ratio with proteins. You can use an Adkins carb counter app to track this, since the diets are similar, remembering that the difference is the restriction on proteins.

Last edited:

Mike

Staff member
Threads
Gl.

So I did not know much about the Keto diet. Did a little research.

Tell me if you experienced this...

So to fix that they say you have to take in more fiber and water to get the fullness feeling.

So Mike how are you with portion or serving sizes. Is that something you pay attention to?

As you know calories are calories.

Again gl.
Just the opposite in regards to hunger.

Duck

Premium
Threads
Low carb option. You'd be surprised how popular it is.

Because smart people are aware that too many grains is not good.
Serving burgers without the bun is just stupid no matter how long you whine about being scared of gluten and carbs.

Order a wrap instead. It's like a burrito but with sub sandwich ingredients inside.

CharlieK

Un-Known Member
Premium
Threads
@Mike you mentioned staying below 40 grams of carbs. I understand that you're not being too strict about it, but when you were, were you testing yourself? Personally, I can't stay in ketosis, if I'm eating over 20 grams of carbs.

I started doing it a long time ago as I was working on base training trying to improve my cardio. Weight loss was a side effect, but it was never my goal. Most of my eating these days is aimed the same way, just because I feel better doing it. Of course I can, and often do, eat eggs and burger patty's 3 times a day.

It's not about not doing the diet

It's about doing a diet more conducive to one with a cardiac care issue.

Carbs are still a part of a diet regardless. Managing their intake becomes the critical part

My team would rather see my limiting carbs and exercise 45 minutes a days.

Without both, any diet is kind of pointless.
I hope you don't believe that... that dieting is pointless without exercise. It might be better if you looked at diet for weight... exercise for health.

Most people that spend their day working, are too far out of shape to work out enough to burn off a 600 calorie big mac, not to mention the fries or soda. If you're really into fitness (or body building), where you are working out an hour or two every day... Then exercise starts to play a bigger role in weight loss, but not really, because at that point, you're generally not eating because you like the food, you're eating it because of the macros and micros in it, that you need for your next work out.

Sinister

Staff member
Supporter
Threads
Serving burgers without the bun is just stupid no matter how long you whine about being scared of gluten and carbs.

Order a wrap instead. It's like a burrito but with sub sandwich ingredients inside.
Wraps have more carbs than bread.

Duck

Premium
Threads
The wrap itself is very carb heavy. Its a pretty good scam. Wish I thought of it.
I get the ones from Casey's that are made from tomatoes instead of the regular kind of tortillas that are made from gluten and monsters and other scary things. They don't have any carburetor hydrants.

Screenshot_20201028-113746_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Sinister

Staff member
Supporter
Threads
I get the ones from Casey's that are made from tomatoes instead of the regular kind of tortillas that are made from gluten and monsters and other scary things. They don't have any carburetor hydrants.

View attachment 73309
Obviously ones made from tomato will be less carbs.

I do wonder about the starches they use to hold them together. Like those cauliflower things...

Duck

Premium
Threads
Obviously ones made from tomato will be less carbs.

I do wonder about the starches they use to hold them together. Like those cauliflower things...
No idea. I get bored way too quickly when I start reading about stuff like that. It's easier just to stay fat. 🤔

quillcom

Threads
No. When you're eating a carb based diet, carbs are converted to glucose which is rapidly burned or converted into body fat. Your blood sugar crashes leaving you hungry for more carbs.
Ok

Just wondering. Your on this diet too?
Other "top diets" do depends on portion control and restricting calories
Yeah, that's just another name for being temperate, abstemious at the dinner table which we all practice "diet" or no diet.

Thats part of the reason I did not include it in health section.

Never paid much attention to all the different diets out there.

Thks for the info

Mike

Staff member
Threads
@Mike you mentioned staying below 40 grams of carbs. I understand that you're not being too strict about it, but when you were, were you testing yourself? Personally, I can't stay in ketosis, if I'm eating over 20 grams of carbs.

Wasn't testing myself, just keeping the carbs low at the time.

Also had a couple 24 hour fasts and a 47 hour fast. Yeah, I broke at hour 47 and ate something before going to bed. Lol.

It takes people a few days typically to become fat adaptive and start producing ketones. Some people, it can take 2-3 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread