Battery Question

searay

Yachtman
Do to illness my truck has been sitting since November. My battery's are dead I was told not to jump the truck and have the alternator do the charging or it will burn it out. I was to to take the battery's out and have and do a slow charge. I this the right way to charge them?

The best way to charge them is to do it individually, then have them tested once they are fully charged. If they have went completely dead, they may have lost some of their cranking amps. I would have them tested, just to be on the safe side. Many places like "Auto Zone" will do this for free, or you can purchase a tester (not cheap, but a good investment)

Do to illness my truck has been sitting since November. My battery's are dead I was told not to jump the truck and have the alternator do the charging or it will burn it out. I was to to take the battery's out and have and do a slow charge. I this the right way to charge them?

Back a few months ago before I got my new truck...my batteries would be dead after sitting over the weekend...our mechanic would do the slow charge instead of jumping them, I don't know if this was due to maybe taking a chance on burning up the alternator or not. I never asked, sorry..

Yes it is. Take them out and charge them individually...as well as test them for bad cells. One bad cell will effect all your batteries and create an unnecessary draw on your alternator.

Never just jump your rig when the batteries go dead. The only time I would recommend jump starting your rig is if you have no other choice to deal with the situation...and after doing so, get all the batteries checked asap to avoid damaging your alternator.

-ss-

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread