• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Averitt Express

Reviewer

In 1958, Thurman Averitt founded Livingston Merchant's Co-op, a small trucking company that hauled dry goods mostly between Nashville, TN and Livingston, TN. In 1969, Thurman incorporated his small company and called it Averitt Express.

While making regular deliveries in Nashville, Thurman became acquainted with a young dockworker who helped him unload his trailer. This young man's name was Gary Sasser.

Gary happened to ask Thurman one day if he would be interested in selling his company. After some thought, Thurman said yes.

In October of 1971, Gary Sasser, at the age of 21, purchased Averitt Express, which at the time consisted of two associates, three tractors and five trailers.

Today, Averitt Express is one of the nation's leading freight transportation and supply chain management providers.

Averitt's drivers enjoy the following:
  • Our drivers get home regularly to family and friends. With Averitt, you'll not only have a quality career, you'll have a better quality of life.
  • Regional - home EVERY WEEK
  • Dedicated - home EVERY DAY
  • 8 paid holidays and up to 3 weeks vacation
  • Domicile options in 17 Southern and Midwest states, including:Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin
  • Many opportunities for transfer to local and dedicated positions
  • No mandatory runs to Canada or New York City
  • Clean/modern assigned Volvo and Freightliner conventionals with automatic transmissions, satellite communications, auxiliary power units and much more
  • Limited touch freight
  • Rider program
  • Professional image
(information via Averitt Express, and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website)

For more information about Averitt Express and what they offer, visit - Averitt Express, Inc. :: Think Red Instead

Do you work for this company, or have you worked for it in the past? Give a review here. If you have questions, post them here as well for drivers who are familiar with the company to answer if possible.

I have driven for Averitt Express out of Nashville,Tn, since May 1998. I had 4yrs driving experience when I was hired. I had driven all over the US and Canada and hauled everything from baby diapers to "swingin'beef". I have prospered since my employment with Averitt Express. With a military and law enforcement back ground I wanted to work for a company that did have a dress code and required the drivers to care about their appearance and look professional. So far, so good and I'm still here.

Though I found that Averitt Express was not for me it is a decent company to work for. Guess I'm just too independent as I did not like the dress code, no boots, no buckles no hats other than the approved Averitt ball cap or stocking hat. Can not tolerate the auto shift transmissions, cut back engines and trucks that won't do the maximum legal speed limit in the areas I'm asked to operate in. But the people were all friendly and my fleet manager would listen to any complaints or problems. I did make good money in the 4 weeks I drove for them and they do have very good benefits.

They don't hire students or job hoppers and look for the best drivers they can get. Orientation is paid and they put you up in a nicer motel. I went to orientation this last September and they paid my mileage to ride my motorcycle from the house to Cookeville and return to pick my truck up at Fort Wayne. Other than being a company I'd rather not work for I can not say anything bad about them. It's all a matter of personal tastes and preferences in my case.

You made the right decision to move on, because eventually they would have stuck it to you too. My husband was also in orientation in Sept. and this company is no different than any other trucking co. (3) that he has worked for, except mandatory uniforms. This company claimed to be different, but they lied. Just as sorry as the other ones. I hope no body believes their crap. We at first thought.... oh what a great company to work for, but after only 3 months they have shown us they are no better than anyone else...............

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread