Trucking News: ATRI identifies 'driver shortage' as top trucking industry issue in 2018

Mike

The American Transportation Research Institute recently released this year’s version of its Top Industry Issues report. Topping this year’s list: the so-called "driver shortage."
ATRI’s annual survey received more than 1,500 responses from carriers and drivers. The results of the survey starting from most important are:
  • Driver shortage.
  • Hours of service.
  • Driver retention.
  • ELD mandate.
  • Truck parking.
  • Compliance, Safety, Accountability (CSA).
  • Driver distraction.
  • Infrastructure/congestion/funding.
  • Driver health and wellness.
  • Economy.

ATRI identifies 'driver shortage' as top trucking industry issue in 2018

I'm thinking that is pay went up, maybe there wouldn't be such a shortage of drivers.

Driver health and wellness near the bottom. Gotta love that.
and every morning, on my way home from work, i listen to the "red eye radio show"

there is a commercial for some sort of fund to help drivers that are incapacitated in some way, to pay thier bills like hospital and such.....

if the respondents, all 1,500 put as much effort in health and wellness over the fake driver shortage and other bullshit, funding for thier hospital bills would not be any more of a commercial.

apparently, those responding could give a flip about health care, and being better fit for the industry.

and we should respond in like, by NOT donating any monies to the fund.

I'm thinking that is pay went up, maybe there wouldn't be such a shortage of drivers.

Remember when pay did go up, companies did get drivers a bit easier. Folks were coming to this industry out of other drying up industries.

Then 2008 came, and most of the trucking companies cut pay. No miles, lower pay, mass Exodus. We’ve never caught back up to where we should be, but companies are steadily raising pay again, now to levels higher than ever.

Problem is, pay everywhere is rising, even minimum wage, so the job still doesn’t appeal to most.

I’m curious how the mega companies will handle the next big recession. Will they cave in rates and slash pay again? They haven’t only brought pay up, companies like US Xpress are paying college tuition to drivers and family members of drivers now.

Remember when pay did go up, companies did get drivers a bit easier. Folks were coming to this industry out of other drying up industries.

Then 2008 came, and most of the trucking companies cut pay. No miles, lower pay, mass Exodus. We’ve never caught back up to where we should be, but companies are steadily raising pay again, now to levels higher than ever.

Problem is, pay everywhere is rising, even minimum wage, so the job still doesn’t appeal to most.

I’m curious how the mega companies will handle the next big recession. Will they cave in rates and slash pay again? They haven’t only brought pay up, companies like US Xpress are paying college tuition to drivers and family members of drivers now.
I never took a pay cut during the downturn. Sure freight dried up - we were in a major recession. As soon as things turned around in 2010, Rob Lowe gave all his company drivers and across the board pay hike.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread