Trucking News: ATA Seeks Liability Protections as Congress Debates New COVID-19 Aid

Mike

American Trucking Associations in a Dec. 11 letter asked congressional leaders to include provisions on the matter of liability protection.

“Congress should provide that motor carriers are not held liable if, despite reasonable efforts and absent willful/gross misconduct, they are alleged to have exposed customers or employees to the coronavirus in the course of serving the nation’s supply needs during the crisis,” ATA President Chris Spear wrote. “The trucking industry is proud to play an outsized role in COVID-19 response and recovery efforts, and we ask that you consider the essential nature of the trucking industry as you consider the inclusion of reasonable liability protections in any future legislation.”

The letter was addressed to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), and leaders in the congressional minority.

This is part of the reason that regardless of the symptoms, I am not getting tested for the virus. I don't want anything tracing me or my family to this disease.

This is part of the reason that regardless of the symptoms, I am not getting tested for the virus. I don't want anything tracing me or my family to this disease.
I've left my phone at home a couple of times when I was feeling a little "blah" but needed to go somewhere.

Thinking about experimenting with a little steel tool box. Put my phone in it and call it from Sarah's phone and see if it rings or goes straight to VM.

I can't remove the battery from this piece of shit. I'd like to have it with me but not be tracked.

I've left my phone at home a couple of times when I was feeling a little "blah" but needed to go somewhere.

Thinking about experimenting with a little steel tool box. Put my phone in it and call it from Sarah's phone and see if it rings or goes straight to VM.

I can't remove the battery from this piece of shit. I'd like to have it with me but not be tracked.
As soon as you use it you're gonna get dinged. So no point carrying it in the first place.

Maybe get an old burner flip phone and don't register it under your own name and address.

As soon as you use it you're gonna get dinged. So no point carrying it in the first place.

Maybe get an old burner flip phone and don't register it under your own name and address.
It would only be for if the van or Blueford breaks and I gotta call my dad to bring tools.

A burner would be pointless because it would still be traced to locations where I've been and spend time. They don't need a name. Just the locations it's been.

It would only be for if the van or Blueford breaks and I gotta call my dad to bring tools.

A burner would be pointless because it would still be traced to locations where I've been and spend time. They don't need a name. Just the locations it's been.
If they don't know who the phone is attached to, what does it matter?

Your individual privacy isn't affected because it's not connected to you specifically, it's just a phone bouncing around.

They're still doing that?
I've been driving the same truck for a year and I'm not even assigned to any truck.
They have half as many trucks as drivers so yeah. Their answer was lysol wipes.

And they let one guy bounce around to a bunch of different trucks just because he didn't like the one he was assigned.

If they don't know who the phone is attached to, what does it matter?

Your individual privacy isn't affected because it's not connected to you specifically, it's just a phone bouncing around.
It will be a phone that's been next to my phone

Faraday bag, by the way. I just googled it.

Privacy goes away if you need to call someone but until then, no signal will get into or out of the bag.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread