ATA joins those predicting HOS drive time reduction, launches website for response

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
ARLINGTON, Va. — Add the American Trucking Associations to the list of industry stakeholders who are predicting a reduction in allowable daily driving hours when the proposed new Hours of Service rule is released.

“ATA expects FMCSA to propose a reduction in driving time, an increase in the number of hours required to restart a driver’s weekly on-duty period and at least one mandatory rest break during each shift,” the lobby group said in a White Paper released today on a the new website, SAFEDRIVERHOURS.COM | Keep the Current Truck Driver Hours of Service Rules, designed to coordinate industry response to the proposed new rule.

The White Paper said that the trucking industry had operated safely and efficiently for seven years under the current HOS rules.

“ATA strongly supports retention of the current and safe rules with one exception — more rest options through greater flexibility in the sleeper berth rule,” the White Paper said.

Numerous industry sources have told The Trucker they expect the proposed rule will include a reduction in driving time.

full story

Looks like the big companies are worried about having to purchase more trucks due to a possible reduction in driving hours, so the ATA is trying to come in and save the day.

Looks like the big companies are worried about having to purchase more trucks due to a possible reduction in driving hours, so the ATA is trying to come in and save the day.

The ATA is only concerned about their bottom line... not the effect reduced driving time will have on drivers and their paycheck. I had even heard they wanted to reduce drive time to 8 hours before a mandated 10 hour break, which to me would be disaster for the industry. I also notice that they will never address the biggest issue in my opinion that causes a lot of driver fatigue: the shippers and receivers holding us up for hours and hours because there is no punishment levied on them... like mandatory detention time. It's always directed at the driver and no one else.

Teamsters are salivating... their ranks will swell.

The Teamsters have funded the "concerned citizen's" legal efforts in this matter. If they had not, the "concerned citizens" would have run out of money because they normally rely on donations, and, their usual donors are satisfied with the current HOS rules.

Notice the White House got involved late in the game??? We all know Obama is beholdin' to the unions because of their support during his campaign. Pay back time!!!

Just wait, and, see... this is gonna' redefine the term "stoopit".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread