As Trump thanks truckers, OOIDA asks feds to do more for drivers

Mike

President Donald Trump recognized four truck drivers, including an OOIDA senior member, during a celebration of America’s truckers on Thursday, April 16.

“At a time of widespread shutdowns, truck drivers form the lifeblood of our economy,” President Trump said during remarks on the White House lawn. “For days and sometimes weeks on end, truck drivers leave their homes and deliver supplies that American families need during this national crisis and at all other times. They’re always there. Their routes connect every farm, hospital, manufacturer, business and community in the country.

“In the war against the virus, American truckers are the foot soldiers that are really carrying us to victory. … I know I speak for the 330 million-plus Americans when I say, ‘Thank God for truckers.’ That will be our theme. Thank God for truckers.”

OOIDA response
OOIDA said it appreciated the president’s kind remarks and recognition of truck drivers but significant action needs to be taken in order to show real support for truckers, including small-business trucking companies, which account for 96% of registered motor carriers in the United States.

“Despite the many obstacles both great and small, the majority of our members do what they do because they like the job,” OOIDA President and CEO Todd Spencer said. “They like meeting the needs of the people and making business and commerce hum. They take pride in what they do and while recognition and appreciation are deserved and nice, the best way to show appreciation needs to be tangible. Improvements in the overall environment for drivers and better pay makes drivers feel appreciated while hard at work and while they are home with family and friends.”

More vague blah-blah from OOIDA.

What's wrong with a simple, "Thank you, Mr. President."

I think the issue here is that small business oriented trucking organizations were trying to be a voice in this and they were basically snubbed in favor of the likes of the ATA, as usual.

We are in a period where industries left and right are getting help, large trucking companies are likely to get help, but the vast majority of trucking companies, which are the small trucking companies, are at high risk of being left out of any help possible, while being expected to stay on the road and risk their health.

As the rates drop, the little guy will go ignored. It will take a giant falling to get noticed and get assistance.

We needed small business trucking to be represented in order to get those at the top making decisions to understand where our needs stand, and how they are different than the mega fleets represented by the ATA. The ATA never has, and never will, speak for the vast majority of the trucking industry.

I think the issue here is that small business oriented trucking organizations were trying to be a voice in this and they were basically snubbed in favor of the likes of the ATA, as usual.

We are in a period where industries left and right are getting help, large trucking companies are likely to get help, but the vast majority of trucking companies, which are the small trucking companies, are at high risk of being left out of any help possible, while being expected to stay on the road and risk their health.

As the rates drop, the little guy will go ignored. It will take a giant falling to get noticed and get assistance.

We needed small business trucking to be represented in order to get those at the top making decisions to understand where our needs stand, and how they are different than the mega fleets represented by the ATA. The ATA never has, and never will, speak for the vast majority of the trucking industry.
Agreed, but why doesn't the guy just say that?

Agreed, but why doesn't the guy just say that?
I think he did, but focused on the glaring point that the majority of the trucking industry was not being represented by this meeting. As it stands, the voice of the ATA will be listened to, and any help this industry receives will be directly related to helping large carriers, while almost 90% of the industry will be helped little to none at all.

And in the end, it will be the taxes paid by the small that survive that will recoup the government for providing help to the mega carriers. Those of us that survive this, that is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread