Any stock traders here?

You probably have some Canadian knock off or something. Like on South Park how Canadian heads move differently. Something like that.
A Canadian knock off For TD Ameritrade? The TD stands for Toronto Dominion :rolllaugh:

Hadn’t heard of them, website was painfully slow for me, and took me to a signup very quickly. From the pricing, looks like they are about the same as the big names if you are looking to simply invest money and let someone else manage it for you.
Never let anyone manage your money for you

I looked into some REIT. Those are mostly a "takes money to make money" type thing.

Look for high dividend yield stocks. 7% is good.

Except OXY. Occidental Petroleum. That company is nuts since they acquired Anadarko, and nobody knows whats going to happen.

Motley fool has decent articles on high dividend stocks, but keep in mind they never tell you about the ones they've lost money on.
I would stay outta oil and gas...

Fracking companies and suppliers are filing for bankruptcy like crazy ..

Part of the problem is the fracking boom was built largely upon debt and oil never went back to $80/$10O a barrel..

$40/$50 per barrel is break even and with the Lockdowns starting again demand can only plummet further..

Sold HTBX at $3.70 at the end of the day. IMV up to $6.00. $500 total cash invested, made $195 today.

Now gotta figure out where to put the money from the sale. My plan was to put it right back in the same stock, but it kept climbing after a drop. See what happens in the morning.

So, I think I am officially addicted to this.

I even did the grown-up thing (at the age of 50) and opened up a Roth IRA. Figured it best to do this since I have no intention of withdrawing it before retirement. I chose a Roth for simplicity and the fact that I expect to be in a lower tax bracket right now than I will be at the time of withdrawal of the funds. This means I pay taxes on the money I invest now and don't pay anything at the time of withdrawal.

A Roth limits you to $7000/year as far as an investment. I don't expect to put in more than that anytime soon.

With my current account, taxes can become complicated. I have to pay taxes on any gains, which will be a pain. I'm keeping what I have in there currently though, as I think it is in stock that will be a mini lottery for me. Once that stock reaches where I think it close to the top, I will sell, and let the money sit until I can request to move it to the new Roth account.

I stopped anything pretax after I got laid off back in 2009. Looking at a 10% penalty to use my own money due to a life crisis shows people things.

Working with mutual funds wasn’t bad. Post tax anyway.

Other “investments” include capitol equipment and their residual value.

I don’t make it a point to “trump” my income taxes and “only pay $750 annually “🙄. Social security is also part of my retirement plans as well as other resources I’ve earned

Some of it’s not so apparent. Some of it is.

Sure lots will tell me I’m wrong in what I’m doing. That’s nice. It works for me making me money. Most of it’s done to minimize penalties if needed for early withdrawals.

I tried it years ago,I didn`t do too good untill my acountant said I had a good tax write off on my losses

one stock I liked was a energy monthly dividend and I made a few bucks on it every month
then one day they disapperared and I found out they sold out

no more monthly divedends.....I tried a few banks,energy stuff,ritchie bros,which wasn`t too for bad quarterly divedends....I wasn`t much for a long term investment then

good luck

My money is in a holding pattern right now. I hit pretty good on a drone startup, moved the money to a COVID stock. That one hit good as well, and pulled the money out as soon as the big names started pulling ahead in the vaccine race.
Money is just sitting in the account right now. I had planned on putting it into some motel stocks but got sidetracked and missed those stocks shooting up a couple weeks ago.

Don’t really trust anything in the markets right now, so just keeping my eyes open for something that might make a short term gain for some quick profits.

I tried it years ago,I didn`t do too good untill my acountant said I had a good tax write off on my losses

one stock I liked was a energy monthly dividend and I made a few bucks on it every month
then one day they disapperared and I found out they sold out

no more monthly divedends.....I tried a few banks,energy stuff,ritchie bros,which wasn`t too for bad quarterly divedends....I wasn`t much for a long term investment then

good luck
We put some money into Tradeking years back, then forgot about it for a few years. Wasn't much. 100 bucks i think.

The prices dropped on the stocks we picked, and the inactivity fees wiped out the account.

Then Tradeking got sold to something else.

Staying on top of things is pretty important.

Last edited:
This healthcare stock currently has a dividend yield of almost 7%.

I read someplace that you only need a portfolio of about 3 million dollars of good dividends in order to be able to make 100k a year and live off passive income.

my buddy lives in Carlotte,he lives well off his divedends
I think he is a long term investor which started back 20 years ago when he was a mortage broker

so he put a lot of cash in to some kind of stocks before the housing crash

today Zoom is 411.83
dec 3rd 2019 the price was 66.05

wish I would have put some cash in this stock a year ago
When I first came to Walmart the price was 66.xx.

Four years later its at 150-ish.

Div yield is only about 1.5% or so, but I imagine the guys that have been working here and buying stocks for years and years a r e pretty happy with that going into retirement.

When I first came to Walmart the price was 66.xx.

Four years later its at 150-ish.

Div yield is only about 1.5% or so, but I imagine the guys that have been working here and buying stocks for years and years a r e pretty happy with that going into retirement.
Yep it really makes you think about getting out while the getting is good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread