an emotional day today

Status
Not open for further replies.
serial number won`t work?
thats strange
A lot of personnel records were destroyed in a warehouse fire years ago. Outside of my DD214, there's no record of my service.

serial number won`t work?
thats strange
nope, it is only 3 or 4 numbers, i cannot recall right now, i got the induction letter put away.

then there was a 3 or 4 number attached to the letter as a reference perhaps.???

like i said, i am pleased as can be, his grave is now marked as WWI vet, like the few others buried near him. makkes having the flag there all the more meaningful. as anyone can put a flag on a grave. whether that's correct or not, i am not up to protocols on some things.

yes, there "might be", but one link that organization sent me, did detail that enlisted men are much harder to get information about, over say an officer.

all i know is that he came over here from Italy, a year or two (perhaps??) signed up for the draft, and he was drafted (i have his "Uncle Sam Welcome Letter"..."you're in the Army now"

he got put alive, came back home, and one day, as my dad told me, there was a knock on the door.....

when grandma opened the door, she got scared "crapless" as there was 2 Army guys standing there. now mind you, grandad had been home, alive and well....

they handed over an envelope to grand dad, (once she called him to the door).

he opened it, and it was a government check for $200 as his "Army discharge bonus"..???

back in the late 1900's (teens), that was a LOT of money.......

i cannot find his discharge papers, but I DID read it, and he was honorably discharged and as my dad said, grandpa and grandma, became American citizens with out any further ado for his service.....

i'd wonder if todays immigrants would go to war for this country as easily as the old timers did..???

or just stay on welfare, food stamps, and free medical care....
I wondering if that government check had a number on it. You read his discharge papers .....I think there a copy in the records somewhere I had a lot of military relatives on both sides of our relatives.

I wondering if that government check had a number on it. You read his discharge papers .....I think there a copy in the records somewhere I had a lot of military relatives on both sides of our relatives.
i cannot find his discharge papers, i think they got tossed out, due to them being so tattered from back in 1920?

it's ok, i need no more help on this, i am satisfied that i at least got his WWI on his gravestone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread