Trucking News: Amazon to build incubator for startup trucking companies

Mike

Amazon plans to launch a program to recruit hundreds of people to start their own trucking companies and haul goods exclusively for Amazon. An IT publication reported the news Friday morning. Brittain Ladd, an e-commerce consultant who was an executive at Amazon, said Friday that he became aware of the initiative last year and that it will be “fully operational” by the end of the second quarter.

Citing an internal Amazon document, The Information reported that Amazon will create an “incubator” that provides business training and loans for entrepreneurs to start their own trucking companies. Ladd said the idea was planted in mid-2018 when Amazon began recruiting Delivery Service Providers (DSP), independent intermediaries who would recruit workers to drive mostly for Amazon.

There ya go! If you ever wanted to start your own independent trucking business, Amazon is here to breast feed you from infancy to adulthood.

What could go wrong? LOL

They basically did this already to get their delivery service off the ground, then tossed those contractors aside like yesterday's trash.

That said, the line of uninformed truck drivers will flock to this opportunity to starve for a living.
Lots of inside folks will love the opportunity to get outside.

Trust me, I was one of them. I couldn't run ragged like they seem to expect though.

Under the collaborative model, any truck in the consortium would pull any trailer, and any driver would drive any truck, Ladd said. “This will ensure trucks are able to operate nearly continuously because drivers with available driving hours will be able to keep the trucks going,” he said.

Love listening to executives brilliant ideas on how they think the world works.

Under the collaborative model, any truck in the consortium would pull any trailer, and any driver would drive any truck, Ladd said. “This will ensure trucks are able to operate nearly continuously because drivers with available driving hours will be able to keep the trucks going,” he said.

What this will mean for the rest of us, is power only Amazon carriers will now be swapping trailers at the turck stops and rest areas like the LTL freight haulers. Which means they will be dropping their trailers in one spot, then blocking another spot for a few hours while they wait for their buddy to meet them.

So I become an owner operator and buy a truck and then anyone can just jump in and drive it when I’m not there ? And I just gotta jump in whatever Truck is available?
giphy.gif

I slipseat as well. But we have the to leave the fuel and def full for the next guy and also clean. I’ve texted pictures to my boss of unclean cabs and low fuel gauges before and he gives them a good arse chewing.
There was no accountability where I was at. They pretended there was and did a little bit of a show but ultimately it always fell by the wayside.

One of many reasons I ultimately had to go out on my own, so to speak.

There was no accountability where I was at. They pretended there was and did a little bit of a show but ultimately it always fell by the wayside.

One of many reasons I ultimately had to go out on my own, so to speak.
It doesn’t work without accountability. Sounds like the management was sloppier than the drivers.

It sounds like a nationwide "Key Party" :rolllaugh:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread