About to make the leap

Thank you for the insight.
I'm placing my name on a bid list tonight at my employer. Some positions just opened and the head of HR suggested I get my name on that list.
If selected then my employer will provide the training and the rig for test day and I can stay where I'm at just move into a CDL position.
At least now I have another iron in the fire.
If that doesn't pan out then I have a recruiter at Swift I'm speaking to. The Swift application asks if I have a CDL or don't have a CDL. So if I strike out with option 1 at my current employer then I believe I'll pay for the training and rig for testing with the local small outfit then proceed with Swift and see what they offer. There's also Stevens Transport I'm looking at., they're reefer and irregular routes.
My main focus is to proceed cautiously and not get locked into something where I'm going to be making .21/mile and struggling to buy a loaf of bread and jar of peanut butter to survive on every paycheck.
You've got a good head on your shoulders and seem to see things they way they are and plan accordingly.
You're going to be just fine.
Keep us posted on your progress. :x3:

I. All seriousness I have a friend of mine who’s former military that is very happy at Stephen’s. Either way best of luck but I recommend TMC. But I’m very biased. I love my job.

I'd recommend a good technical college or similar if you want to no be beholden to the company store.

Just make sure what ever school you find is accredited and recognized.

And the guys picked out Houston correctly.

OK so here's the update to my situation.
I obtained a job with Coca Cola and start August 27.
They're taking me onboard with my CDL A permit, training me behind the wheel and letting me take the driving test with their rig to get my full CDL A.
I'm really excited about this opportunity and I feel like it is a much better path forward than entering into a contract with one of the student/trainer outfits.
I'll definitely make more money and better benefits than pulling OTR for 10-12 months with one of the newbie companies.
I realize it's not the same as an OTR driver starting out but to each it's own and I think this will prove to be a much more beneficial option for me to get my license and get my foot in the door with trucking.

OK so here's the update to my situation.
I obtained a job with Coca Cola and start August 27.
They're taking me onboard with my CDL A permit, training me behind the wheel and letting me take the driving test with their rig to get my full CDL A.
I'm really excited about this opportunity and I feel like it is a much better path forward than entering into a contract with one of the student/trainer outfits.
I'll definitely make more money and better benefits than pulling OTR for 10-12 months with one of the newbie companies.
I realize it's not the same as an OTR driver starting out but to each it's own and I think this will prove to be a much more beneficial option for me to get my license and get my foot in the door with trucking.
Best of luck!

I was going to suggest Hagerstown Business College since they have a CDL program but I don't know what part of MD you're in. But looks like you solved it. OTR isn't a requirement, it's just the most common "easy" way in. Especially for rural folks who wouldn't have as many local options, if any.

I'm right above you in PA and local jobs are abundant where we are.

Although I heard some noise about one, I don't know if there was or is a Veterans Administration program for training drivers. But it might be worthwhile to check with a VA office. Saw this on the net but don't know a thing about it. Troops to Truckers - Military Veteran CDL Training & Employment. I think there are other training programs or lash-ups that are or say they are geared to vets. Maybe your local American Legion, VFW, AmVets, or other vets group has a member or service officer with some insight into achieving your trucking goal. A friend here just got a class B here in Anchorage for $1200. He did it last Saturday. He's a general contractor and has a couple of trucks just under the 26,000 pound limit. Nonetheless they're large enough (102" wide beds) enough to give him some insight into driving large trucks. I can ask him about how he did it and if there is a similar operation east of the Mississippi. I can hook you up with the test instuctor/evaluator. The only hassle is digging up a ticket to come to Anchorage, AK.

Although I heard some noise about one, I don't know if there was or is a Veterans Administration program for training drivers. But it might be worthwhile to check with a VA office. Saw this on the net but don't know a thing about it. Troops to Truckers - Military Veteran CDL Training & Employment. I think there are other training programs or lash-ups that are or say they are geared to vets. Maybe your local American Legion, VFW, AmVets, or other vets group has a member or service officer with some insight into achieving your trucking goal. A friend here just got a class B here in Anchorage for $1200. He did it last Saturday. He's a general contractor and has a couple of trucks just under the 26,000 pound limit. Nonetheless they're large enough (102" wide beds) enough to give him some insight into driving large trucks. I can ask him about how he did it and if there is a similar operation east of the Mississippi. I can hook you up with the test instuctor/evaluator. The only hassle is digging up a ticket to come to Anchorage, AK.
I did a troops to truckers program that’s how I ended up with TMC. My friend Brian did it and went to Stephens

I did a troops to truckers program that’s how I ended up with TMC. My friend Brian did it and went to Stephens
If the VA had any involvement in your training deal, it looks like its leaders did the right thing and engaged a real company to provide some or all of this service. I get very good medical care from the VA. Assuming my medical care and the move to put training where it should belong, i.e. in the hands of those who have a stake in the success of the trainee, with a little luck, the VA will clean up its act and confidence in it will be restored.

August 27th!!!
Can't wait I'm really looking forward to the training. I've been watching YouTube videos after work on pretrip inspection and proper double clutching to mentally prepare as much as possible.
ABC - abrasions buldges cuts for belts hoses wiring and tires
BBC - bent broken cracked for anything metal plastic or glass
Is it true 1300 rpms is the sweet spot for shifting?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190821-102908.jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-102908.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 0
I was going to suggest Hagerstown Business College since they have a CDL program but I don't know what part of MD you're in. But looks like you solved it. OTR isn't a requirement, it's just the most common "easy" way in. Especially for rural folks who wouldn't have as many local options, if any.

I'm right above you in PA and local jobs are abundant where we are.
I'm in Gaithersburg.
The Coca Cola I'll be working out of is in Alexandria Virginia.
I'll be performing the driving test out of the Coca Cola in Capitol Heights Maryland since I'm a Maryland resident.

I think I'm covered with the generosity of Coca Cola providing the training and the rig for test day. I really appreciate your offer though and will keep it in mind should the bottom fall out of my game plan for some unforeseen reason.
Hopefully everything goes according to plan. It would be so much better financially with Coca Cola paying me to train vs having to pay out of pocket for training.

August 27th!!!
Can't wait I'm really looking forward to the training. I've been watching YouTube videos after work on pretrip inspection and proper double clutching to mentally prepare as much as possible.
ABC - abrasions buldges cuts for belts hoses wiring and tires
BBC - bent broken cracked for anything metal plastic or glass
Is it true 1300 rpms is the sweet spot for shifting?
Depends on the truck and the gearing. A Cummins with a 9 speed yes 1300 is optimal up shift and 900 down shift.

Thank you very much for the insight it is verymuch appreciated. Every bit of information is priceless.
If you can get me more info on the truck your using I would be able to give you a better plan of shifting. Also a little trick that helped me learn. Look and remember the speed you shift at. The truck I learned in for example 2 gear was 7 3rd was 14, 4th would hit 20 5th 25 6th 30 7th 40 8th 50 9th was top end.

If you can get me more info on the truck your using I would be able to give you a better plan of shifting. Also a little trick that helped me learn. Look and remember the speed you shift at. The truck I learned in for example 2 gear was 7 3rd was 14, 4th would hit 20 5th 25 6th 30 7th 40 8th 50 9th was top end.
That's REALLY cool of you! Thank you!
I will have more information on the rig next week or the following week.
I start orientation on Tuesday, August 27.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread