A Guide To Eating Healthy On The Road

Mike

This is one of the toughest things for a truck driver to do. You often don't have time for a sit down meal, and many of the truck stops have done something to help you get back out on the road at lightning speed. For your convenience, many now have fast food restaurants located right inside. You can place your order, go pay for your fuel, go back to the counter, grab your food and go.

It is great for saving 30 minutes that would be spent waiting for an actual meal to be cooked, but it can often be very unhealthy.

While watching the news this morning, there was a guest in the news room promoting a new book that can help you eat much more healthy, even when you are selecting food from any of the popular fast food restaurants. Their website, Healthy Fast Food Nutrition and Calorie Counter Guide, has provided a book that breaks down healthy vs. non-healthy foods that are provided at these fast food restaurants, breaking it down in a very easy to understand manner. You can buy the book at their website, but if you like, you can also download it for free in PDF format and save it on your computer. It is 146 pages of great information that you can keep stored on your computer, or print off at your convenience to take with you if you don't have a computer with you in your truck.

The Truckers Forum is in no way affiliated with fastfoodbook.com, it is just something we feel that you will find as a valuable resource if you are interested in trying to eat healthier out on the road.

The Links are Below:

I downloaded this, but also went ahead an ordered the book as well. Don't really need the book since I have it on the computer, but it is just my way of supporting the work done.

Thanks for posting the information for this.

This is awesome. I got it downloaded and saved it to a CD as well for when I get my new computer.

Wanted to get this now before they decided to take the free version away, although I will probably still by the book as it is more convenient.

Went ahead and got my copy of this for when I do get out on the road. Might as well start off on the right path rather than develop any more bad habits from the beginnint than necessary

One word of advice .... "Stay away from the large buffets". I believe you can control the way you eat by ordering from the menus instead of getting food off the buffet and "free feeding" like animals who don't get much exercise.

AND keep this in the back of your mind for those "fast food" take out meals....
Look in your sack and there waiting for you is probably a $0.99 cent heart attack

Eat lots of salads and keep some cut of veggies in your fridge to snack on

I have actually been paying pretty close attention to this, and as a result it has resulted in me watching what I eat even when it isn't fast food.

Dropped 4-5 pounds, feel much better, and even sleep better.

I might even put together a small exercise plan now, LOL

I have always tried to eat as healthy as possible when out on the road, and made sure get a little exercising in everyday if possible.

I rarely eat from the fast food places, but when I do, this information does come in handy.

Hubby lives off of, and I'm not kidding, Peanut Butter Cups and Dr. Pepper.

I'm working on him...but his idea of "healthy" is to dip his french fries in ketchup....

Hey, peanut butter is healthy, LOL.

This guide has really worked for me. I have monitored what I eat as much as possible now and have felt much better and lost some weight that I have been needing to lose for quite some time now.

This is a good site! Awesome book too. This could be very helpful for those driver's who are having weight issues. My husband and I found that fresh veggies and peanut butter were the main "health" foods that we kept.

I worked in an Irving Truck Stop for several months and noticed that many of the truckers were in fairly decent shape, despite sitting and driving for endless hours. I learned that many had their own frigs in their trucks and tended to pack them with healthy foods and snacks.

Yes, it IS possible to lose weight on the road...I lost quite a bit on the road. But then I'm a vegetarian and we stocked the mini-fridge with decent food and I would eat salads.

I worked in an Irving Truck Stop for several months and noticed that many of the truckers were in fairly decent shape, despite sitting and driving for endless hours. I learned that many had their own frigs in their trucks and tended to pack them with healthy foods and snacks.

My truck is a traveling convenience store, LOL.

I keep a case of regular water, vitamin water, granola bars (and other types of breakfast bars, lunchables, and all kinds of other food with me.

I also stop alot at roadside stands for fresh fruits and vegetables.

I actually started doing most of this after reading this thread and getting that book. Not sure why, but getting the book just created a snowball effect to the point that I became somewhat obsessed with eating healthier and losing weight. It has cost me a little money in the way of buying new clothes, but that is definitely worth it.

I might even put together a small exercise plan now, LOL

Here's an idea:
Park the furthest away from the main buildings at truck slops.
I've been doing this for years, plus it is easier to park and generally quieter except for the reefers.

Here's an idea:
Park the furthest away from the main buildings at truck slops.
I've been doing this for years, plus it is easier to park and generally quieter except for the reefers.

I do that too and when I go to wal-mart, grocery and anywhere else you can think of.

One word of advice .... "Stay away from the large buffets". I believe you can control the way you eat by ordering from the menus instead of getting food off the buffet and "free feeding" like animals who don't get much exercise.

AND keep this in the back of your mind for those "fast food" take out meals....
Look in your sack and there waiting for you is probably a $0.99 cent heart attack

Eat lots of salads and keep some cut of veggies in your fridge to snack on

sorry charlie salad slows your thyroid so is not recomended to eat too many salads slow thyroid means slower matabalizim
just my input since i was an avid amature body builder before driving truck
that ruined me lol

My truck is a traveling convenience store, LOL.

I keep a case of regular water, vitamin water, granola bars (and other types of breakfast bars, lunchables, and all kinds of other food with me.

I also stop alot at roadside stands for fresh fruits and vegetables.

I actually started doing most of this after reading this thread and getting that book. Not sure why, but getting the book just created a snowball effect to the point that I became somewhat obsessed with eating healthier and losing weight. It has cost me a little money in the way of buying new clothes, but that is definitely worth it.

watch out for fruits too the fructose which is simple sugars will go right to fat so be carefull eating too many fruits
try lots of protein low sugar (carbs) and low fat diet but keep your protein intake high protein is like 60% burned off just by digestion process

watch out for fruits too the fructose which is simple sugars will go right to fat so be carefull eating too many fruits
try lots of protein low sugar (carbs) and low fat diet but keep your protein intake high protein is like 60% burned off just by digestion process

I have an addictive personality. I usually exchange one bad habit with another.

I bring my own food. I grill my chicken for the week, then microwave it on the road, along with brown rice over half of the time. My vice is candy (one in particular). Is changing candy sugars to fruit sugars like apples, grapes, oranges and bannanas better or will I be in the same boat as before?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread