Fuel Economy 7 MPG 700HP 3406E

RollOn382

Quit The Fourm
All Hypothetical,but would it be possible to get a 6.5 to 7.0 mpg Cat 3406E that makes 700 HP ? In a long hood style truck hauling flatbed loads like lumber. I've thought a PDI or Haney tune and a PDI Big Boss stage 1 turbo. Any other things one could do to hit that magic number or more ?? What about micro blueing a rear end and wheel bearing and maybe a transmission too ? Any ideas ? Oh and let's say it's currently a 2ws 500 HP 3406E.

If all of your base engine is working proper, and you don’t run fast, the. It is possible.

I mean,we achieved 6.9 mpg in a 379 pulling a tanker and we grossed an average of 95,000 so... that was a tuned Acert Cat. I feel like 6.5 is very achievable. Now a Classic XL with a 2ws 3406E and a leaking CAC and very little maintenance got 6.3 hauling a tanker pulling 100,000. Also the other driver got 7.0 mpg out of the Acert C15 in the he 379. Does anyone know what happened to Kurt aka Mr.Haney ? I feel like he would be the perfect person to answer this.

I mean,we achieved 6.9 mpg in a 379 pulling a tanker and we grossed an average of 95,000 so... that was a tuned Acert Cat. I feel like 6.5 is very achievable. Now a Classic XL with a 2ws 3406E and a leaking CAC and very little maintenance got 6.3 hauling a tanker pulling 100,000. Also the other driver got 7.0 mpg out of the Acert C15 in the he 379. Does anyone know what happened to Kurt aka Mr.Haney ? I feel like he would be the perfect person to answer this.
Aren’t you 15?

Aren’t you 15?
14,and this is the numbers of the trucks I've ridden in have gotten. I'm learning every thing I can about Cat motors. It's easy just to say what they got and not go into all the details. I already know the rpms ect to run a cat but I was wondering what a modded 3406E would get. Im not a big fan of turning up the fuel. Just ecm tuning and turbo.

Last edited:
Ok. FirstI heard Mr. Haney was having health issues and was doing very little these days. That’s all second hand info since I don’t know the man.

Second: I don’t think someone knows how to calculate fuel mileage. Those numbers seem awful inflated. Like a minimum of a .5 mile per gallon at best and more likely a mile per gallon.

Third: you have to understand most tank operations are empty at least 50% of the time. That plays a big role in fuel economy. As opposed to being loaded

Fourth: ecm tuning is turning up the fuel and timing just not in the old fashioned since of mechanically turning up like a mechanical. It done electronically through the ecm. It can be done a little more controlled but it’s basically the same. To get more power you have to have more fuel.

Fifth: micro blue is a waste of money. Even that fraud Kevin Rutherford has quit peddling it.

@Snowman_w900 runs a tank with a hot cat, maybe he has some insight. If you ran the truck light and drove it slow about 6.5 is gonna be about the top of the mark for a classic truck.

Thats sad about kurt. Also the 7.0 mpg 379 was a milk truck so it spent lots of time loaded but partial then about 150 miles empty. Around 100 miles fully loaded,150 miles around 75k to 80k and 150 miles empty. I've always heard of the PDI tuner increasing mpg and a little power. The 05 379 was a 550 Cat but I know something was done to it but not sure what, it had 3.36 rears and a 18 speed so I'm sure that helped the mpg. The bosses truck had a 600 Cat and got 6.9 to 7.0 mpg also. I know he had them tuned or something done. The 600 was a single turbo Acert by the way.

Also the mpg was calculated by taking our the odometer reading and dividing it by how much fuel we put in at the pump. We fueled the truck so it was easy to track. We also had a note pad that the odometer reading,gallons and mpg was written on.I was around that truck for along time. The owner took GREAT care of those trucks.

I'll be honest, there's so many factors that goes into what you're asking, and without ALL the information.....its hard to say what the efficiency possibilities really are.

Questions like:
What injectors? 55s, 57s, 58s, 59s?
Cam? 10R7155, 10R1621, 10R3292
What flash file? Pre November 95, custom PDI or equivalent, stock 550, etc?
What personality modules?
What trims? 5232, 6999, stock injector code (the correct way)?
What turbo? 177148, stage 1, 0001 with 1.58 housing?
Gears?
Where do you run?
How easy are you on the throttle?
How much weight?
How much head wind?

There's wayyyyyyyyy to many things to have to know before you can get with in .5 +/- on fuel mileage numbers. Is 7 doable? i guess that really mostly depends on you when it comes to a hot engine.
Ok let's say 80,000lbs,easy on the pedal, running the east coast. What would be the most efficient setup. What injectors,turbo,ect what would bring 7 mpg with the most power. Or is that hard to say ?

Well to be honest, 700 is pretty easy to be had in a 2WS. Thats what I have in my 2000 W9 and I'm in that ballpark. Closer to 750 or so.

I've tried a few different setups, and I will tell you that a good set of balanced 57s (8501), a stock 550 cam (1390538) a PDI or Full tilt manifold, BW 14969880001, 1.58 housing and a good Haney Tune. Around 90-95 psi fuel pressure to the head at 1500.....be around 40 to 45 lbs of boost, with a good CAC around 900° to 950° on a hard pull and it will run clean.

My ifta showed around 6.3 with that setup. My empty weight is around 43,000lbs and when loaded depending where I'm loading from, I'll be 80,000 to 92,000 regularly. Empty bout 40% of the time.

2ws, rtlo 18918b, eaton 404 3:55 on low 24.5. Just to give you an idea. Ive change setups since then.
Ok, I think a lower empty weight and maybe 24.5s would increase the mpg ? So I'm gonna write down that set up. What's your opinion on a direct drive transmissions ? Is that a good idea if you have the right rears with it or are you better of to stick with a OD trans. Or maybe put 3.08s in a OD trans and stay outta top gear ? What do you think ? Could one pick up .3 mpg by going to 650 hp ? I guess I might have too many questions that arent really be able to be answered without testing. Thanks for the help !

Does anyone know what happened to Kurt aka Mr.Haney ? I feel like he would be the perfect person to answer this.
The same underground all the other tuners went.

epa started cracking down on tuners and the fines were getting huge.

Ok, I think a lower empty weight and maybe 24.5s would increase the mpg ? So I'm gonna write down that set up. What's your opinion on a direct drive transmissions ? Is that a good idea if you have the right rears with it or are you better of to stick with a OD trans. Or maybe put 3.08s in a OD trans and stay outta top gear ? What do you think ? Could one pick up .3 mpg by going to 650 hp ? I guess I might have too many questions that arent really be able to be answered without testing. Thanks for the help !
Depends on your transmission.

an 18, 13 or 9 speed you’ll want to gear it out of the countershafts. Have the most direct route through the transmission from input to output.

you’ll want as little rotational mad as possible as well. Why fleets went to LP 22.5

some engine don’t have a reputation for fuel mileage because of design. Some operations just don’t get fuel mileage. By virtue of the operations. Starting and stopping a dozen or two times a day is one of them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread