2019 gardening thread

I am sure glad I made a few raised beds, the plants in them are thriving where as the conventional garden has been so wet I haven't been able to even plow it

the ground was mostly dried out so we did it anyway today...finishes soaking wet in sweat..a little work won`t hurt,I need it

we planted 2 rows of corn,one row of spineless Clemson okra,one row of green beans
12 German Johnson tomatoe plants,24 Better Boy tomatoe pants,6 green pepper plants,3 Jalenpeni plants,short row of squash,short row of cukes,and finally another short row of zunchinni...
missing some sweet bananna pepper plants,hope to do that next week.
The 2 raised beds I have, one is potatoes in straw,the other, onions.Both are doing great...
the 6 blueberry bushes are loaded again,but this year we are giving about half away.We don`t need that many

the apple tree don`t have a single apple on it.....we would like to have a few thornless blackberry bushes,a few peach trees and maybe a few rashberry bushes...thats enough!

well, i said "screw it" with all this rain we have had, and fully drenched gardens, i planted my garden saturday.

2 tomater plants, 1 eggplant, 1 red bell pepper, 1 banana pepper plant, 1 basil, 1 parsely, and flowers.

spent much less than in all previous years too.

yesterday.I went out to check my tater patch.and a rabbit had dug a hole in the straw and had a baby in it
I left it alone,now wait to see what happens

back 5 minutes and already kicking up dust

taters and onions did fairly well considering
corn,tomatoes,squash,okra,and cukes are doing fine

blueberrys are starting to come off,got a gal so far

Finally got the weed patch worked enough to put tomatoes in. Hoping to get the peppers in this weekend.

Been an extraordinarily cool season so far. I have peppers that sprouted three months ago that are two inches high in an outdoor greenhouse. Need some heat for them to grow.

Everything is slow this year.

Finally got the weed patch worked enough to put tomatoes in. Hoping to get the peppers in this weekend.

Been an extraordinarily cool season so far. I have peppers that sprouted three months ago that are two inches high in an outdoor greenhouse. Need some heat for them to grow.

There's plenty of hot air around... besides in DC. You're just located on the wrong side of the I80 corridor to get some.

it's been especially rainy here..i pl;anted the entire garden weeks ago.

this time last year, i had all my vegetable plants at the very least, 1.5 feet tall.

i am lucky if i see all my vegetables at a mere 8 inches tall.

the flowers however, are growing like an explosion........

i am so glad i spent way less this year than in the past..

next year, if i am still living at this house, i will have only flowers, screw the veggies.

It was a busy weekend for me. I get Fridays and Saturdays off. So I got all the peppers in on Friday. That took all day because I'm still sifting crab grass roots out. That whole area was netted in that s***.

Yesterday, I spent three hours on the weedeater knocking down tall, thick grass that's been allowed to run rampant for two decades. I cut two apple trees down early in the season and finally cut them up and moved them. There are about 10 more to take out. They have not been maintained in a lot of years, so the branches are half dead and tangled up worse than a Gordian knot. I trimmed up the low branches on the pear trees so people can walk under them without poking an eye out. There are a couple of cherry trees that look halfway healthy, so I'll probably leave them. After I get those scrub apple trees down and cut up, I'll rent a big chipper and make a picnic area under the pear trees.
I didn't take any pictures, but removing just those two and trimming up the others, it looks like a yard somebody gives a crap about now.

There's a lot of garbage to pick up, some I can repurpose, like the metal rings for a fire pit and to keep the horseradish from spreading and a pile of red brick I can use as part of a walkway in front. That old dog house will just go away.

The little bit of cleanup I've already done, I'm seeing lots of potential for a gorgeous backyard/garden.

I will find some lilac and plant it in memory of a friend's mom.

I was going to do a few plants in pots and planters.
I done spent all my money on new furniture. so city farming is out of the question:(
I do look forward to seeing your post and pics. I hope Ya'll have a productive season:thumbsup:

shucked and silked 15 dozen ears of corn,too hot for that stuff but I like to eat
I learned a good way to process corn, cut the stalk end just where you feel the kornels, cut the other end where you feel the corn fill out, microwave the corn for 2.5 minutes on high for 5 ears, strip the husk off which if you cut it right is real easy, then take a tee towel and rub the ears, the silk will completely come off and then process however you want,
if you are eating it right away double the microwave time and it comes out perfect

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread