2019 gardening thread

I learned a good way to process corn, cut the stalk end just where you feel the kornels, cut the other end where you feel the corn fill out, microwave the corn for 2.5 minutes on high for 5 ears, strip the husk off which if you cut it right is real easy, then take a tee towel and rub the ears, the silk will completely come off and then process however you want,
if you are eating it right away double the microwave time and it comes out perfect

.. this sounds borderline ****ographic..🤔😆😁

well, i had to pull up one dead tomato plant, and on green pepper plant, and 3 ferns...

lousy year for me, way too much damned rain, or cloudy days.. couldn;t be any happier i did not go all the way out spending money this year, as in the past years.

blueberries coming off like crazy,we must have picked 2 gallons today....but my wife did make me some blueberry syrup this morning

I started a vegetable garden in my balcony. They're pretty much all dying. My serrano peppers and tomatoes are the only ones that look like they're going to make it. I cheaped out on the soil next time I'll put a little more effort into that aspect of it. This was my first try so it's all good.

wife picked this German Johnson tomatoe today...she just couldn't wait!tomato.jpg

Friday we got 20 dozen ears of corn for my daughter.Worked it up and had 80 pints bags,and 8 quart bags.My sis in law and me went ot Candor,NC to Carter Farms and bought it.12 bucks a bag ,with 5 dozen in each bag.
We stopped at a few roadside produce stands and they had the same corn for 5 bucks a dozen.Quite a markup...50 bucks for a bushel of peachs….ouch!High priced suckers

Produce here is expensive too......but everything is also trucked in......sack of peppers is $24.95 plus a fee for roasting it.......which comes to around $30.00 after tax and freezer bags to process it.

my garden went kaput. all i have left is the basil and parsley, and the Italian green peppers, and planted flowers.

i had to pull up the eggplant, it only had like 4 flowers after all these weeks.

so it was useless wasting water on it.

i have absolutely no idea why the garden crapped out this year.

our garden went well this year.Tomaotes went thru the roof,especially the German Johnsons
Planted 1 dozen broccoli,1 dozen cabbage and 2 dozen collards earlier this week.Threw out 2 ounces of turnip seeds
okra is coming off like crazy too.
Looking to get 6 thorn less blackberry plants sometimes this fall and plant

our garden went well this year.Tomaotes went thru the roof,especially the German Johnsons
Planted 1 dozen broccoli,1 dozen cabbage and 2 dozen collards earlier this week.Threw out 2 ounces of turnip seeds
okra is coming off like crazy too.
Looking to get 6 thorn less blackberry plants sometimes this fall and plant
one year, i grew broccoli....never really did well.

the following year, i grew Brussels sprouts, THOSE did well.

I am a die hard bargain shopper.....guilty as the day is long.....and a soft hearted idot sometimes.....but will bench foolishness in a heart beat.....I shop with only a certain amount of funds.....
Well anyway.....the locals here have thirty stores....and the funds they raise goes to help others....one store here handles flower and garden seeds.....seeds are sold for a dime a pack....I happen to like the idea of what I spend goes to help other people.
One day I am bargain hunting and find a bucket of cut stems.....now these stems are from six to eight feet long all rolled up in this bucket. So i ask the woman how much for it.....she says it all dead and worthless just havent had time to carry it to the trash...but if you want the dead thing i give it too you so i dont have to make a trip to the trash. So home it came with me....stems still held life i cut it all back and repotted it all....that was three months ago today there are two pots of ivory growing beautifully . One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread