1993 Peterbilt 357 temperature gauges

terminator13

It's an older truck so it shouldn't be complicated but I was wondering what the 3 wires were that hook into the back of the water and oil temp gauges. I know one tests as the ground, but normally there is only one wire from the sensor. None are testing as 12v. What is happening is the Water temp is reading really high even at ambient temperature its high reading all the way up to 350+ but it does seem like the gauge itself is working. The oil temp goes all the way pegged high. I wiggled wires at one point and they both imediately went down to where they were supposed to be and seemed perfectly fine for a little while before "shorting out" or whatever is going on (I'm trying to wiggle wires again but can't replicate it without feeling like Im going to break something). My fan automatically comes on when pulling hills and kicks off and seems to be functioning fine. It appears like there are 2 sensors up front on the cat 3406b with 2 wires coming out of one of them. Basically I was hoping someone could tell me how many sensors there are and if the fan control shares the sensor with the gauge and what the 3 terminals on the gauge are supposed to be so I can either re-run new wire or probe around with the multimeter with reasoning instead of randomly. Also my rearend temp gauges arent working... is there supposed to be a good ground wire attaching the axles to the frame or??? Thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread