Trucking Regulations: 14 day challenge to OOIDA.....

This did not just happen. Hell 395 has had 4 or 5 massive changes in the 14-15 years I have paid attention. Every time we go through endless listening sessions, lawsuits, revisions, studies, surveys, more lawsuits...........

And then all of sudden when the change happens folks come out of the woodwork crying the government is just ramming stuff down their throats.

Good grief.

No one is ever going to be 100% happy. Ever.

But the facts are truckers did have input in this, companies had input in this, civilians had input, Congress had input, the NTSB has been begging for three decades for the change. You had the exact same opportunity as anyone else to submit comments, attend listening sessions, write letters as any of us.

So @Tazz .... to summarize: You are stating that I've been living my life in oblivion.

I "came out of the woodwork crying that the government immediately jammed their BS down my throat?"

So, since you are not crying or "whining' am I to assume that you had 'input', submitted comments, and attended 'listening sessions and wrote letters?"

Wow.

I am impressed. I don't think I've ever met a guy who spends his life on the road that would take the precious time he has off to attend a "listening session"... write letters, submit comments.... and still have time to make a paycheck.

What's that like anyway bro?

What "input" did you have? Was it effective? Did you type out your letters or handwrite them?

It looks like whatever you did had a really strong impact....

On ELD's I only filed comments. Took me all of 4 minutes.

I went to a comment session sponsored by the Tennessee Trucking Association on speed limiter. Cost me an afternoon but Rep DesJarlais heard from one of his constituents directly on the issue.

I have called on issues, I am working right now on disputing sleep apnea regulations and corporate involvement.

But seriously all of this has been happening for almost two decades. And now that the clock is ticking down to compliance people are all shocked and surprised.
It honestly makes me question if they are even aware of what is going on around them. I get some folks treat this as some lifestyle. I would counter this is a job, and you had damn well better pay attention to what is going on around the industry.

There were a high number of comments left regarding ELD's, but in the end, it didn't matter. They were not going to be talked out of it, no matter what evidence was laid before them.

Not all the comments opposed them. And when you throw out Jim Bob complaining about Sally world not allowing him to park, super trucker saying compliance would put him out of business they about averaged out.

In all fairness, it takes a bit of resourcefulness to know whats going on behind the scenes ..Unless you can fiND away to stay plugged in

In the old days, it was just drive until you couldn't drive anymore

Any issues we thought we may have had were encountered at the weigh stations

Times have definitely changed

For years we've been looked down upon and treated like we are uneducated morons

Obviously today, things have changed. It is way too easy to get yourself in a bind with the DOT or the FMCSA without even knowig you are in violation

And you still have to get to your destination, eat highway garbage and sleep in a box

I personally don't eat truckstop roadkill...I actually shop ahead of time at the grocery store and buy healthy foods, kind of beside the point, but for some guys it may not be. All they know is: eat, sleep, shower and fuel at the truckstop.

I suppose it's time, as my trucking career comes to a close, to become even more vigilant lest I run into a situation that puts me out of commission

Trucking is sucking. Can't dispute that.

instead of taking immediate drastic measures to a situation that more than likely does NOT demand one, why not do the research, create the proper debate and then deliberate accordingly?
Tazz actually answered this fairly clearly, in his usual style, but what it boils down to is this:
This did not just happen. Hell 395 has had 4 or 5 massive changes in the 14-15 years I have paid attention. Every time we go through endless listening sessions, lawsuits, revisions, studies, surveys, more lawsuits...........

.....the NTSB has been begging for three decades for the change.
It's not new. I have tried to help push this out. I was told pretty much every time, my help wasn't needed and wasn't wanted. My input didn't matter and the people I was trying to support and give information to basically told me to sit down and shut up so they could continue bitching that they won't be able to cheat anymore.
So **** 'em.

For years we've been looked down upon and treated like we are uneducated morons
You can thank the loudest mouths who claim to represent us for that. Those who make the news actually are barely literate, uneducated morons. Thanks to them, I have to stop my day in the middle and sit for a half hour that I would rather spend at home sipping a 7-Up.

Prozac and rum
Can I take them together?
Yes.

(and then post here?)
no.

You are funny @Injun and yes, I realize that @Tazz gave me a comprehensive answer. "In his style"... lol, nevertheless; I got an education, I just had to add a little extra about taking the time to do all that shit... as if it would get a response, and like you admitted... it didn't do much.

Tazz still kept it cool even tho I kinda lost mine.

I think we're all learning to get along. It's a small community of regulars we have here. Some are wound a bit tight, others laid back, some don't care what anyone thinks... and there are the psychos... like me.. :eek::eek:

In all seriousness though, I was looking for an answer, which I got... not an argument, which could have easily been started.

BTW, I took a Valium without the Prozac before I posted.

Please don't ban me.

I also started a new thread on how differently we post during the week when we are truckin' it up as opposed to the weekend when we are chuggin' it down.... (just kidding)

I don't even drink.

I just have a split personality on the forum. That way I can have TWO internet facades....

I think a committee of CDL holders should be put in charge of all of the Safety issues in the Airline Industry.

If, in return, the Airline Industy fails and planes start falling out of the sky, just come up with a simple solution: Let people walk.

After all, they say people don't exercise enough.

Same logic. ... or no logic at all. Seems it doesn't matter.

What is the big rush for people who know absolutely NOTHING about the trucking industry to suddenly attempt to take total control of it?

Please don't tell me it's a direct result of collective data that has been gathered over the years.

We are just another vulnerable industry, supposedly with extra money to spare, and we have all had lobotomy's performed... numerous times, thereby rendering us ignorant, illiterate and incapable of making rational decisions on our own.

When the economy flips upside-down, people can just immediately start pointing the finger.

Or better yet, when we run out of diesel fuel, we will ALL perish.

Life depends on Air, Water and Diesel fuel.

Obviously certain individuals do not think that diesel fuel is a huge part of the equation when it comes to sustaining life.

From the time a raw material comes out of the ground (or from a tree being chopped down) it is hauled a MINIMUM of SEVEN times on a truck until it is a finished product in a store... and available to sell to a consumer.

People on this earth cannot exist unless PEOPLE drive trucks, build trucks, operate diesel-powered farm equipment or take oil from the ground and turn it into diesel.

If this is a fact, and what I say is even slightly true, why would you want to make it impossible for me, a 36 year veteran of the highway) to be able to do my job? To take my hard-earned-underpaid money?

This is a really bad time for the trucking industry and I cannot for the life of me figure out what has prompted such a sudden increase in public perception towards truckers that results in the government trying to put an end to us... almost as if they are throwing us in prison and tossing the key.

Are we (and what we do) really that completely misunderstood?

I agree Tommy. I've had a steering wheel in my hands for pay since 1978. What I see in all of the regs coming out of Foggy Bottem, is an elimination of us old hands who actually think for our selves. Ever try to herd a bunch of cats?!! So... just get rid of 'em! Get the "young 'n dumb" ones (sorry fellas!) trained the way you want 'em... until you can replace them with the self driving rigs. Have you seen the YouTube video about the Volvo truck picking up and delivering beer in Colorado? The "driver" is in the bunk area sitting on a seat reading a magazine in real time as the rig goes down the road on I-25. You can get any trained monkey to do that and for a low wage too. That's the future guys, like or not. At least how "they" see it (whoever THEY are??!) Me? I'm almost outta here as far as what's left of a working life. I've had ELD's in my truck twice and that was two times too many. NEVER again. I pull a belly dump now and follow the wind farm projects around the country. If someone tells me I have to have another ELD, I'll sell out, and get a pre-2000 model or just quit altogether. As for OOIDA, I have to say they've fought the good fight and like in Monty Python have been reduced to saying, "Come back and fight like a man"! Because the government never does things fairly, does it? It's been a dirty fight from the start. God bless the late, great America, and all of us who stand up to tyranny.

@allanbmw

While we agree... on everything... you gotta be careful what you say around herebecause 99.9% of the "active" members here... kind of "don't"

In the past I've posted threads touching on nearly every individual issue/subject you've talked about... and the end result is always an ass-ripping and a number of ensuing meltdowns... whether they be on my part or the objectionist's.... don't matter.

If you want to add some fuel to the fire, just tell everyone that you drive a 379 Pete with an extended hood and that you can't stand the way the new "aerodynamically/fuel efficiently and politically correct" ... 'trucks' are not really to your liking.

Until a sub-forum for the Classic aficionados opens up, those words (above) are considered fighting words....

Wait for it...

phil miller stretched out a.jpg pete COE rollin coal.jpg pete logo ban.jpg

Who knows....someone might find a little love left for a COE... never know.

BTW, that's not a Peterbilt logo... that's a "Red Oval Haters" logo....

Nobody said various opinions aren't welcome. Problems crop up when it's presented as the only opinion and whoever believes otherwise is a dumbass. And we don't want to see drivers getting shit on just because they're new or drive for an unpopular company.. That's all.

Here's an article that goes back to 1997. You think this is about safety or hours of service? I've been finding this stuff since I came back out on the road in 2012.

Every study every report every article talks about the same thing Automation and how the truck needs to be on a report straight into the station as you drive by. How else are they going to do that without Eld?

Montana Weigh Station Automation – The Western Transportation Institute

Hmmmmm..... that's rich. Sure are a lot of exceptions made here these days.
Some of us get tired of all the Pete-worship. That's true. Probably because there are five other major brands of trucks that are just as capable, just not so many pretty details and extra gizmos, cost at least a third less, but have all of the same business stuff as a Pete. It's cool that guys love Pete long-nose trucks. It just sometimes seems like the guys who drive them, whether they own them or not, enter into every brand name discussion with an attitude of superiority, as if the rest of us who are not so enamoured of the brand are somehow lesser drivers for having different preferences.

So yes, guys who prefer shorter, more rounded trucks tend to be a little defensive.

Similarly, when new drivers ask questions, some of our number take it as an opportunity to call out the new driver as a dummy who should just hang the keys up now and stop wasting their time. Not saying this is you, but I've seen it too many times to count.

I'm not as active as I was a few months ago, partly because of all the crap this summer has served up, partly because I'm home more and actually have home stuff to do. So I miss some of the barbs that I would normally delete to stop disagreements from getting too heated.

But you're not asking to hear me snivel. It appears you're asking for a little latitude to discuss the brand of truck you love. Please do. Start a Pete Lover's Thread or 379s Rock ...or whatever. Just please try to avoid crapping on people who do not share your passion. And I will try to keep them from trashing your discussion.

Some of us get tired of all the Pete-worship. That's true. Probably because there are five other major brands of trucks that are just as capable, just not so many pretty details and extra gizmos, cost at least a third less, but have all of the same business stuff as a Pete. It's cool that guys love Pete long-nose trucks. It just sometimes seems like the guys who drive them, whether they own them or not, enter into every brand name discussion with an attitude of superiority, as if the rest of us who are not so enamoured of the brand are somehow lesser drivers for having different preferences.

So yes, guys who prefer shorter, more rounded trucks tend to be a little defensive.

And now we have a place where people who like the old trucks, like the customized trucks, can talk about them and share ideas: Classic and Custom Big Rig Fans

Anywayza, It has been more than 14 days. Have you @mndriver got your answer or did you cancel your OOIDA membership?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread