HAZMAT endorsment

m_fumich

I just started the process to get my HAZMAT endorsment. Any idea how long it takes for the background check to be complete?

I have had my hazmat since 1991, so not sure what is involved now. I hear it is a pretty long process though.

According to the Tennessee Department of Safety web site, the only thing required after getting your CDL is the background check. The HAZMAT test is part of the general CDL exam in Tennessee. I'm just wondering how long the background check takes. I've been told "up to 90 days" but I'd like to hear some actual times from those that have done it.

Supposedly, since 9/11, everyone with the HME was supposed to go thru the background check in order to renew it. In Tennessee, the HME is only good for 5 years. If you haven't had to renew your liscense since '01, you'll probably have to go thru the background check when you renew your CDL.

So, for those that have gone thru the background check, the pending question is....

How long does it take to complete the background check?

I last renewed my licens in 2002, after the 9/11 attack, but at that time there were no new things to deal with to get the hazmat. Just a matter of taking the written test.

My license expires in 2009, and I will have to deal with the new requirements then. I have heard that it doesn't take long, but without having done it myself, I don't want to speculate.

i was wondering since i live in florida do i have to take the hazmat test here?? or can i go to like chattanooga and take the test?? i plan on going back to covenant next week and were promised a dedicated route when i get my hazmat and just dont want to have to come home to get it. plus they are paying for it.

What all is involved in getting your hazmat and how long or hard is the test and where do you get the material to study for it? We are thinking about getting it thru work since they will pay for it but haven't checked into it much yet. Just trying to ge the basic learning done first.

i was wondering since i live in florida do i have to take the hazmat test here?? or can i go to like chattanooga and take the test?? i plan on going back to covenant next week and were promised a dedicated route when i get my hazmat and just dont want to have to come home to get it. plus they are paying for it.

the hazmat test as far as I know has to be taking in the home state of the issuing license. I don't believe there is any other way around it.:sweat:

What all is involved in getting your hazmat and how long or hard is the test and where do you get the material to study for it? We are thinking about getting it thru work since they will pay for it but haven't checked into it much yet. Just trying to ge the basic learning done first.
You can pick up a copy of the CDL handbook at the nearest driver testing location, probably Murfreesboro road for you. It is really thick but only one part has the study material for hazmatt. I have one of the books, but as I am the only one at my company who would be endorsed, I would be forced to do all the haz work and it really doesn't pay any more then regular runs.
(this is a post from my hubby and not me, lol)

the hazmat test as far as I know has to be taking in the home state of the issuing license. I don't believe there is any other way around it.:sweat:

Correct, and this is where you will spend your money and get the background check done as well.

I let mine lapse in 2003. Decided to get it again in September 06.

Fingerprinting was 89.25 and included the background check. Took about 2 weeks. Took the test and was supposed to be good for 4 years.

License was expiring in March of this year and they told me I had to do it all over again. Now working for a company that does not need hazmat, so let it lapse again.

Now, looking at tankers, fuel etc. So, I had to do the whole thing again.

Fingerprinted one Monday am. Letter of approval on the Saturday of same week. Test on Monday am. Took total of one week.

I let mine lapse in 2003. Decided to get it again in September 06.

Fingerprinting was 89.25 and included the background check. Took about 2 weeks. Took the test and was supposed to be good for 4 years.

License was expiring in March of this year and they told me I had to do it all over again. Now working for a company that does not need hazmat, so let it lapse again.

Now, looking at tankers, fuel etc. So, I had to do the whole thing again.

Fingerprinted one Monday am. Letter of approval on the Saturday of same week. Test on Monday am. Took total of one week.

I have a question that needs an answer about hazmat endorsement, because I too, left mine lapse. do you have to do the background check before you test or after?

I have a question that needs an answer about hazmat endorsement, because I too, left mine lapse. do you have to do the background check before you test or after?

If you read my post, it tells you the steps.

First is fingerprinting. It includes the background check. You must have the approval letter to take the hazmat test for your license.

what process did you have to go through to get the finger printing and back ground check done first, Where did you have to go to get the proper forms for the process is what I am more concerned about?

In Illinois, you get on the website for the Secretary of State and click on hazmat. It gives all of the information there. You then click on the site for the fingerprinting and it gives all of the steps, costs and where to get the fingerprinting done. That was the easiest. I paid over the net and then went into town about 16 miles away and took the fingerprinting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread