Have an interview for HEB Grocery for a truck driver trainee position .

Hey guys, been following this forum for awhile ... I have worked with HEB Grocery here in Texas for 10 years and decided to apply for a truck driver trainee position ... the training take 2 to 3 years to become a fully licensed truck driver for HEB. I have my first interview tomorrow , basically doing my background and work history and work performance ... they literally pulled my work history from 10 years ago till now and loved my attendance and performance.
I know the hours will be long , however I am a butcher for them so the hours doing that are long and grueling as well . I believe this move in the long run will pay off ... Just wanted to say thank you for all the older guys and younger guys on here for the awesome advice y'all give for us new guys .

Hey guys, been following this forum for awhile ... I have worked with HEB Grocery here in Texas for 10 years and decided to apply for a truck driver trainee position ... the training take 2 to 3 years to become a fully licensed truck driver for HEB. I have my first interview tomorrow , basically doing my background and work history and work performance ... they literally pulled my work history from 10 years ago till now and loved my attendance and performance.
I know the hours will be long , however I am a butcher for them so the hours doing that are long and grueling as well . I believe this move in the long run will pay off ... Just wanted to say thank you for all the older guys and younger guys on here for the awesome advice y'all give for us new guys .
You could get a CDL faster, But If you like the company and you are working for them currently then stick with it. I am not sure if they are union or not, Not that it matters but you will retain your years of service.

You know you and you know the company so....................................Good luck on your new en-devour!:):thumbsup:

i'd rather go to CDL school part time, and in maybe less than 1 year, obtain the CDL on your own, at your dime too.

then from there, they can train you in shorter time. again as said, if it is a union shop, you stay there, you lose nothing. unless ONLY the meat cutters are union, all other employee's not..?????

then when you switch to the non-union job, you may not be able to use your time in now, to bump someone else......

Well the way they train is they start you have as a yard spotter for about 6 months and then for another 6 month I will be going from 1 terminal to just 1 other one all day ...they said once I get comfortable with that is when they start giving me stores within a certain radius and then that is when I get paid based on load ... the recruiter told me the drivers average 50 to 60 there first year as a full time driver then easy clear 80k after 4 years ... it is non union and I can always come back to just being a butcher if I just absolutely hate it ... I went to the 2nd interview today and was able to get more info about the pay which will stay the same for me in the yard which is 20 a hour and how my days will end up going .

You can make 50-60 without waiting a year if you get your CDL on your own and go with a different company.

I'm gonna have to call BS on CLEARING 80k. Gross maybe.

Unless this is some kinda UPS style deal.

Well the way they train is they start you have as a yard spotter for about 6 months and then for another 6 month I will be going from 1 terminal to just 1 other one all day ...they said once I get comfortable with that is when they start giving me stores within a certain radius and then that is when I get paid based on load ... the recruiter told me the drivers average 50 to 60 there first year as a full time driver then easy clear 80k after 4 years ... it is non union and I can always come back to just being a butcher if I just absolutely hate it ... I went to the 2nd interview today and was able to get more info about the pay which will stay the same for me in the yard which is 20 a hour and how my days will end up going .
That sounds really good!
You will learn backing skills right from the start and then they will loosen the leash. That is how things should be working:thumbsup:

On the other hand, If you are earning $20 per hour and have a steady shift and predictable income, Would you want to go trucking in a eat what you kill ( mileage) feast or famine pay scale?

$20 per hour is not chopped liver:biglaugh:See what I did there:rolllaugh3:

You can make 50-60 without waiting a year if you get your CDL on your own and go with a different company.

I'm gonna have to call BS on CLEARING 80k. Gross maybe.

Unless this is some kinda UPS style deal.

Well they say they clear 80k for very experienced guys and it really depends on the load , miles , how much time it takes to kid unload ... I have heard the pay is better than Walmart but the way they work is the same ... just with HEB you get to come home every night .

Those spotters are Bang and Go. Don't drop any trailers, make sure your're locked. They'll teach you that.
I did spotting for short time..

Steady $20 an hour timeclock plus "Overtime".

But man it was "Boring" .

Actually took $3 Dollars and hour paycut to get back inside the Warehouse.

But they already knew I had a CDL and really wanted me running one of their trucks.

Wait a minute now I came in through the Temp Service $12 an hour on the Pick & Pack Line.

Then after 60 days with Staffing Agency ya interview me to Hire me .

I agreed to Forklift 2nd Shift in the warehouse.

But Everytime they were "Short" a Driver..

Eventually I became a "Default" Driver and things went "downhill" really quick from there too..

Ya see with a CDL even if ya don't wanna drive truck and not why you came.

i'd rather go to CDL school part time, and in maybe less than 1 year, obtain the CDL on your own, at your dime too.
Very old post but was revived by someone, it'd take less than 1 month to get a CDL on your own through a CDL school, prices vary depending on location, though NEVER go through a auto class only accept a manual shift program ! It'll pay off no matter what !

well, he ain't been back since January of 2017, so i had not remembered this thread, until someone brought it up from the grave.

he talks about starting at the yard spotters job. this is what the dunkin donuts dc center does. they do not hire you as a driver with out experience. they pay quite well too, as a yard spotter. i know, i applied as i wanted off the road, and into regular hours with over-time every now and then.

but i lucked out, and get me a dedicated job, short hours, home daily, and weekends, just no over time, but then, i rarely worked more than 50 hours a week, at that job.

current job, still under 50 hours most weeks.

but, i'd be looking at yard jockey work, as it affords one not to deal with the stupidity on the roads, construction, time constraints, elogs, and a dumb ass GPS that tells you to turn into a lake.

he talks about starting at the yard spotters job. this is what the dunkin donuts dc center does. they do not hire you as a driver with out experience. they pay quite well too, as a yard spotter. i know, i applied as i wanted off the road, and into regular hours with over-time every now and then.
Well ya wouldn't want to be over the road working for Dunkin' Donuts. Police chasing you all the time.
but, i'd be looking at yard jockey work, as it affords one not to deal with the stupidity on the roads, construction, time constraints, elogs, and a dumb ass GPS that tells you to turn into a lake.
Yard Jockey work does afford one not to deal with the stupidity on the road. It does allow one to witness the stupidity of drivers close up and the **** poor caliber of drivers that fleets put on the road that can't back up a truck if their life depended on it.
The good thing is Yard jockey is usually a shift. When your shift is up, you go home. Great quality of life having a set time that you start work and when you go home.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread