Freightliner Cascadia Truck Fridge, what are the best options?

Mike

This discussion could work for any truck, but mine will be a Cascadia, and some of this is Cascadia specific, so.....

My truck is going to have the fridge prep option. This means it has a base for the fridge to sit on and staps to go over it to keep it in place. That's the best I can describe it because I haven't seen it yet.

Truck also has a Pure Sine Wave inverter. Making this point for a reason...

The truck will have the connection for a 12 volt fridge. I will also have a 110 in the same are where I could plug in a much cheaper 110 (AC) powered fridge.

With a 110 unit, that means the inverter will run 24/7. I'm not sure what this will do to the life expectancy of the inverter. anybody with experience here? Buying a cheap dorm style fridge would be a much cheaper up front cost than a 12 vold that is comparable in size.

Why not go with the factory fridge? I have one in the WS pretty sure it’s the same across all freightliner products. It’s no very deep, but it does hold a fair amount of food. The freezer is small, but it will almost freeze stuff on the top shelf if you max the temp out. Overall it does a nice job.

Why not go with the factory fridge? I have one in the WS pretty sure it’s the same across all freightliner products. It’s no very deep, but it does hold a fair amount of food. The freezer is small, but it will almost freeze stuff on the top shelf if you max the temp out. Overall it does a nice job.
I wanted a larger fridge. Factory models are around the 1.3CF range, I am wanting something more in the 3-4 range. Might even go bigger if I decide to not hook up a TV (goes right above the fridge)

110v fridges have their drawbacks. The high starting draw shouldn't be an issue with an apu to keep the batteries charged up.

But the main problem is they're not designed to be in a moving vehicle, and the compressor mounts fail. Which results in the compressor vibrating against the pressure vessel. It's loud. It don't think I ever had one last much more than a year.

Shouldn't be any problem with the inverter running all the time. With the load you're talking about, it won't be making any heat, which is the enemy of all electronics.

But the main problem is they're not designed to be in a moving vehicle, and the compressor mounts fail. Which results in the compressor vibrating against the pressure vessel. It's loud. It don't think I ever had one last much more than a year.

Interesting point. The unit in my KW is now over 5 years old. The light on the inside became erratic within the first year, but other than that it has been flawless. Too small, but flawless in regards to operation.

Looking at around $800 for a 12 volt, really hate spending that much money.

Go to Vanderhaag and get a fridge.

Got a 12v fridge out of an international for the century. Paid like $200 if memory serves. Bought it in 2013. It was a couple years old by then.

Still works today.

Don’t trust them straps to keep any fridge in place. I have straps holding the microwave in place and. I have to reposition it every stop it seems.

I get get you mean by the factory fridge being on the small side and more expensive but it may save you money in the long haul (pun fully intended!) Like @Hammer166 points out those dorm fridges are not designed for all the jostling they will have to endure over the road and you may have to replace them a couple times.

In the worst case, you pop into the closest Meijer's and restock your provisions.

Cleaned up, let’s keep it on truck refrigerators.

Most likely ordering the 12 volt I linked to in a previous post, but still considering giving a cheap 110 a try.

Hey @Mike have you taken delivery of the truck yet?
Nope. It’s at Thermo King currently. They should be done with it early Thursday if all goes smoothly.

Then back to dealer for detailing and last minute little things line floormats and whatever else they like to do before handing the truck over.

Salesman is out until Monday with a nasty case of Coronavirus. Getting better right now, but waiting for a negative test and Monday being the earliest date allowed back due to mandatory quarantine time.

Then back to dealer for detailing and last minute little things line floormats and whatever else they like to do before handing the truck over.
I am glad you didn't try to install the floor mats on your own.

I would have to report you to the IFMIU International Floor Mat Installers Union.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread